Luminosity Mask

Comments

7 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Pappu,

Here's how to create a Luminosity Mask:

1. Open a photo or bracket series within Aurora HDR 2018.
    2. In the Layers controls click the + button and choose the Add New Image Layer option.
      In this example a texture layer was added.
    3. For the desired layer, click on layer’s mask icon (paintbrush) to reveal the context masking menu for the Layer. A new mask is created based upon the brightness values of the image.
    4. If the mask is showing unwanted areas, you can right-mouse click on layer’s name and choose Invert Mask > Invert.
    5. You can also re-run the Create Luminosity Mask multiple times to generate different masks each time.
    6. Use the layer’s blending mode and opacity sliders to blend the layer to taste.
    Comment actions Permalink
    Pappu Murthy

I tried to follow your steps but I can't follow them. After opening my picture, according to Jim Nix Video, he adds a layer creating a luminosity mask. There is no mention of adding a layer with a texture. Why do we have to add texture layer? Is that absolutely necessary for creating luminosity mask?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Pappu,

Sorry for the confusion. The step of using an Image Layer and texture are just an example. You can also do the same using an Adjustment Layer.

In the layer's mask icon (paintbrush) choose Luminosity to create a Luminosity mask. This will create mask based upon the brightness values of the image.

Steps 4-6 listed above should work as written.

Let me know if I can clarify anything further.

Pappu Murthy

Understood and i am able to create. But I can't see the mask. Looked for an option like "show mask", but there is no such thing. So "if the mask is showing unwanted areas" means what? Not clear at for novices. Sorry.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Pappu,

You can view the mask, by clicking on the visibility icon.

The visibility icon is on the masking toolbar when the masking tool is activated.

To activate the masking tool, click on the mask icon on the layer and click on the brush. Then, in the upper left of the screen you will see an icon that looks like an eye. Toggle this button show/hide the mask.

You can find more detailed information in the User Guide here: https://aurorahdr.com/tutorials/working-with-Masks-aurora-hdr-2018

Pappu Murthy

Thanks Angela. It worked and I can see the mask. I guess what Jim Nix showed in the video was for Apple MAC computers and it was a cynch. for PC not so. At least for me :(  . Pappu Murthy

Angela Andrieux

You're welcome, Pappu! I'm glad it worked. :) Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Please sign in to leave a comment.