Preserve "Date Created" when exporting JPG

Comments

11 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi csc,

At this time there is no way to do that. An exported image is a completely new file thus the date will reflect the export date as the creation date. However, as a workaround you can use a date structure for your exports to include the date it was captured to help in your organization.

Comment actions Permalink
    cc

Thanks, Angela. Do you mean to use a date structure in the file name for exports?

Angela Andrieux

Hi csc - Yes. My personal naming convention is date_description_original file name so it comes out like: 2018-08-20_beach-vacation_IMG_0274.jpg

This way you know when the photo was taken, can see what the event was at a quick glance, and have the original file name to reference the original raw if necessary.

I hope that helps!

cc

Thank you, Angela. I think I will transition to a file naming system like that.

Angela Andrieux

You're very welcome! Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Doug Knuth

The photo software people always say "it's a new file and it needs to have a new creation date.  There's nothing we can do."  That's not true.  They are making the decision to not allow the file creation date to match the Exif creation date.  There is an app for the MAC called Shootshifter that simply changes the file creation date to match the Exif creation date.  If they can do it surely Skylum can figure it out and allow us the option of how WE want OUR files organized.  

If they want us to embed the date in the file name, then at least automate it so we don't have to edit the name of every file individually.

In the mean time, Shootshifter seems to do the trick for $11.99.

Oliver vorm Walde

I would also like it as a feature. Would be really nice

Darryl Brooks

Yeah, this is not true, and Skylum is the only one that doesn't know that. I use Lightroom as my main DAM and editing in ON1, Capture One, Topaz, Alien Skin or any of several other programs, leave the creation date alone. The edited date changes. If I edit the same file in 10 different programs and then look back in Lightroom, sorted by creation date, 9 files are beside each other. Only Luminar's is at the bottom of the heap with a new Creation date. Will this be fixed in Luminar 4. It's one of two things that became deal breakers for me and one the reasons I no longer use Luminar

Anastasia Davis

Hi Darryl Regarding Luminar 4, there is no info on the plugin behavior yet. Stay tuned!

Coco Becker

This is also a big hassle for me, Luminar, please respond with a solution. :-)

Antonie van Beek

Please Skylum come with a solution. Ik do like Luminar 4 but to change  date created is a terrible thing. I work with 500-700 images a day and it costs a lot of time to find the right images and put them together.

Ton van Beek.

Please sign in to leave a comment.