Recommended workflow for MacOS??

Comments

9 comments

Victor Araujo

I've recently left Lightroom to try a Photos + Luminar workflow and had these same questions. Sadly, they remain unsolved.

As far as I know, saving a Luminar Project File from an Extension should be possible, but it doesn't seem to be very well supported by Apple Photos. For example: Affinity Photo has a "edit in Affinity Photo" extension, which opens the standalone Affinity Photo app. The "Save as" option is greyed out, so in theory we would be in the same situation as we are with Luminar. However, someone on the web discovered an interesting workaround:

https://www.podfeet.com/blog/how-to-save-to-afphoto-format-after-opening-from-affinity-photo-extension-in-apple-photos/

Although it is a very unorthodox solution, it does work and implies that there is a way to save an external file from a Photos Extension.

Comment actions Permalink
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Wopke & Victor,

Unfortunately when you use Luminar as a Photos extension there is no way to save the .lmnr file with your history. The article above includes steps/features not included in Luminar.

The only workaround would be to go into the Photos file structure (Pictures > right click on Photos Library > Show Package Contents > Master and then find the date/folder that contains your original.

From there you can right-click (ctrl-click) on the image > Open With > Luminar 2018

Once you've made your edits you can go to File > Save and then save your image as a re-editable Luminar file in a new location on your hard drive.

However, this method will result in you needing to manually manage the .lmnr files on your computer and the edits will not be visible in Apple Photos.

I hope that helps a little bit! I wish I had a better solution for you.

Victor Araujo

HI Angela,

I'm aware that, in its current version, there is no way to save the .lmnr from the Photos Extension. I was just pointing out that, if there is a way for Affinity Photo, maybe there's something that Skylum could do with Luminar. 

Could you pass this request along to the dev team?

Thanks!

Angela Andrieux

Hi Victor,

Absolutely. I will pass your suggestion to our developers. Hopefully we can implement a solution for this in future updates.

Wopke Postuma

Hi both,

Thank you for your replies. Angela's suggestion is basically the same as using File > Export > Export Unmodified Original in Photos. But there is no real solution yet. Unless of course Luminar would come up with its own photo library that would be able to either import an OSX Photos library or dynamically link ("reference") to the OSX Photos lib. Is there any news with regards to the DAM yet? And in particular its file structure?

Thank you,

Wopke

Julia Kot

Hi,

The Top Panel in Photos is default by MacOS. I'm afraid the third-party developers are not able to change it. 

As for the DAM tool, it is on its final stage. 

Wopke Postuma

Hi Julia,

Thanks for your reply. Do you know whether the DAM will have any Photos import facilities?

Thanks,

Wopke

Steven Ralser

Does that mean we will hear something soon about the DAM.  I've only got LR 5.5, so I can't read my G9 Raw files there. Recently I've been taking RAW + JPEG (sending to different cards) - look at the JPGs in LR and figure which photos I want,.  I then go into the finder and open the RAW in Luminar (so I can save it as a Luminar file) - hoping to eventually import into the DAM.

Denis Kotsee

@Steven Ralser yes, we should hear about the DAM soon.

@Wopke Postuma at the moment there's no information about this, sorry.

Please sign in to leave a comment.