Aurora image abnormal distortion

Comments

3 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Sebastien,

May I ask what you are using to view your raw file in example 1?

In comparing example 2 - the raw opened in Aurora it looks to me like a typical raw file from a wide-angle lens with no perspective corrections applied. Some applications do this automatically, but in Aurora it is a manual transformation.

May I ask what you find unsatisfactory in image 3? 

Thanks in advance for the followup info!

Comment actions Permalink
    Sébastien Barbier

Hello Angela,

Thank you for taking time to answer. Very much appreciated.

I found a second picture producing the same issue of unusual distortion. I think your explanation is the right one: it seems the RAW produced with my lens (Olympus 14-140mm) are particularly distorted at 14mm. The problem totally disappears at 15 mm. This is a phenomenon I never noticed before, and I will certainly remind it before shooting again in RAW with this lens !

I have browsed many of my pictures and I could finally find very few taken at 14mm with this lens (due to the fact that I also have the 12-40mm Olympus that I mostly use for wide angle pictures); this is why it was not so easy for me to isolate the root cause.

So it seems that my problem is solved; however, regarding image 3, I applied the manual lens correction of the Aurora embedded tool; and one can see that the horizon line is still not straight as I would like it to be (notably on extreme left and right where the line is falling down, with also a depression in the middle of the picture). I made the same type of correction with RawTherapee with a better result.

Again, many thanks for your help and valuable analysis.

Kind regards,

Sébastien

Angela Andrieux

Hi Sebastien,

I'm glad you figured out what was causing the issue! You may want to reach out to Olympus and see if there is anything that can be done since the difference between 14 and 15mm is so drastic.

I see what you mean about the depression in the middle of example 3 - I wasn't sure if it was actually a depression or an optical illusion due to the location of the sun's reflection on the water. Would you mid posting the version you corrected in RawTherapee so I can see the difference?

Thanks in advance!

Please sign in to leave a comment.