When to use layers for masks

Comments

3 comments

Erik Heyninck

Hi, one of the reasons would be if you want to separate certain filters from some others. For example when you start from a RAW file and want to keep the RAW develop filter on one layer and continue with other filters on another layer.
    Another example would be when you want to use different masks for different filters. Say, you want to increase saturation and contrast in the foreground but do the opposite in the background, and you want to use a polarizer on some surfaces but not everywhere. These would need different masks.
    The most important reason though is organising the workflow. Have a ayer for basic adjustments, specific ones, sharpening etc is really handy.

Comment actions Permalink
    Mark Barnes

Thanks Eric,  that makes makes perfect sense. Since LR doesn't have layers without work arounds,  and I haven't used them I was somewhat confused. Using layers to organize workflow seems to be great advantage in Luminar. So, when all my basic adjustments in the RAW develop filter are done, I'll start using layers as a way to organize any creative effects in an efficient manner. Through trial and error I guess I'll learn when to move on to additional layers going forward.

Thanks again.

LARRY FITZPATRICK

I will create a layer for detail, then use mask to identify the items that I want to enhance. Bridges, buildings, etc, Sometime will also create a layer and mask for color editing.

Please sign in to leave a comment.