White borders when printing

Comments

32 comments

Denis Kotsee

Luminar uses your OS's printing dialog, so anything that happens to the image before it's sent to printer has to do with this default dialog. Please see if adjusting the settings there makes any difference. Alternatively, you can first export a TIFF from Luminar and then open it in PS or LR and try printing it from there.

Comment actions Permalink
    Joop Schrievers

Hallo Denis, I checked all printer settings in Windows 10, but Luminar keeps printing with borders.

I am already using your suggestion to export in tiff to Photoshop. 

A little bit unconfortable but uptil now it's the only way.

Thanks for your response.

Bernard Page

I am having the same problem with my Canon printer, the dialogue says borderless but prints with a border. The same dialogue in Preview and Photos prints borderless. 

Mathias Wintzer

Another Canon user here (PRO-100) with the same issue.  I am using Windows 10 64-bit.  Regardless of what I set in the printer dialogue, I always get a border on my prints.  No issue if I go through the Windows Photos application, but that defeats the point of paying for and using an application like Luminar, no?

Denis Kotsee

At the moment Luminar doesn't have a dedicated printing dialog, so it doesn't fully support all printing options. A workaround is to use Luminar for editing and another application for printing. We'll address this in future updates for Luminar 3 but at the moment I don't have an estimate for when this is going to happen.

Tony Collins

I've just come here with the same problem. Here is a screenshot of the print dialog. That image with the white border is what Luminar is sending to the printer. It doesn't matter what driver settings I choose because luminar has already added the border.

Pretty poor for a photo editing program.

I call this a bug, and it needs fixing.

John Tedesco

I have the same problem with my Canon Pro-10. But my borders aren't even! This is the 2nd time I bought Luminar. I canceled it and got a refund the 1st time because of this issue. You would think by now they would fix it. Oh yeah, just export your images to another program for printing, really convenient and simple!

How about prioritizing this fix? I can't believe they didn't create a print dialogue yet!

Mathias Wintzer

Was holding my breath that the next update would fix this, but alas.

Still kind of amazed that something so fundamental would (continue to) be neglected.

What's the point of software like this that you can't print from?  If I wanted to use Adobe software to print, I wouldn't be using Luminar at all.

Disappointed.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Mathias! I am sorry about that. We are working hard on the performance of the app. Thus we didn't get a chance to work on the issue you are referring to.
    We will do our best for the future updates. 

Matt Orth

Any update on this?  I'm really enjoying learning how to use Luminar, but how can you ignore printing options?  Having 90% of a great product is not enough.

Tony Collins

I agree. A fantastic editing app with just about functional DAM - but no ability to print.

If I have to export from luminar, then import into lightroom in order to print, then L3 is close to pointless.

Kate Williams

Hi, 

Our most recent updates were targeting the app stability and performance as well as offered several fixes to make the experience with Luminar better. 

Currently, the advanced printing dialog is in the backlog. While it has not been implemented to this day, as the other functionality was prioritized, I'd like to assure you that we are not laying this feature request aside and our techs will surely add this functionality in the future. We'd highly appreciate your patience on this matter. 

Bob Lawrence

Let me know when its printing and I'll be back  Thanks Bob Lawrence

John Tedesco

I canceled my license for the second time. They talk about all the fixes they made for better stability and speed. It's still not there.

Anna V

Hi John, 

Please contact us at http://www.skylum.com/support so we could assist you in a better way.

Matt Orth

My thermostat has a phone app.  If they had released an app that lets me turn the temperature up remotely, but not down, I would have said it was incomplete and not ready to be released. 

A photo processing program with no printing options is....

I had purchased Luminar but wasn’t using it because it was just easier to stick with LR which I knew.  When my PC got fried, I elected not to reload LR so that I would force myself to use Luminar. 

And I like it.  I like how it works.  I didn’t really miss LR.  

But now I need to reload LR to print?   You guys didn’t think this through. 

Anna V

Hi Matt,

I will forward your comments to the person in charge. 

We will do our best to implement the printing option in the future. 

Alok Bhardwaj

Hello,

I know this issue has been raised by many before me with no success. However, I just got on the Luminar 4 bandwagon on my new PC (Still have LR6 on my old PC). I like to print my photos quite regularly, and I am finding that L4 cannot print borderless prints on my Canon Pixma pro100, regardless of the option settings in the printer driver. This has been very frustrating and time wasting exercise for me so far. Is there any possibility of this issue being addressed any time soon, or would I be better off looking at other alternatives to Luminar. Thanks

Mathias Wintzer

Every time I see an update here I get excited, then am thoroughly disappointed.  Clearly we are not the target audience for Luminar.  Sadly, I haven't been able to find any compelling alternatives, which is maybe why they can continue to neglect such a fundamental feature and still have a viable customer base.

Margaret Bright

Hi Alok,

Currently, Luminar works only with your OS's standard printing dialog that you can access it via File > Print.

We do have a more advanced printing dialog in our backlog of requested features though. However, there's no ETA on the implementation of this feature yet.

For now, you can export the image and use more advanced printing software. 

Mathias Wintzer

Stock response to a long-unresolved issue.  Like I said, disappointed every time.

Alok Bhardwaj

Sad to say I have to agree. It is a bit discouraging to hear no assurance of any concrete plan or timeline for a most basic and essential feature like printing. I guess they must assume that nobody prints photos anymore!

Matt Orth

Two years old. No resolution. Don’t you love that the Luminar rep says the solution is to use “a more advanced” program?

I’m learning how CaptureOne works. It is a fully featured photo program.

Tony Collins

Hi Margaret

The standard print dialog does not create the white border. Luminar *sends* that to the printer dialog. It adds it to the photo.

It is a bug, and I am staggered that this has not yet been fixed after all this time, and so many updates.

Paul Oles

Can you work with Canon to have Print Studio Pro install in Luminar 4 as a plug-in? I am now opening my Luminar 4 images in LR to print edge to edge. That might allow you to have a fix now rather than writing a new Print module or use the Windows default. Would make it easier for Canon Printer users.

Victoria Grace

Hi Paul, currently you can only print with a default print menu on your PC. However, thanks for your suggestion! I'll definitely forward it to our devs so that they have a look at it. Thanks for bringing your ideas on how to make Luminar 4 better!

Marc Wormser

Solution found. Able to print borderless 8.5 x 11 with canon Pro 10 on Luminar 4.3, Luminar AI, PS, LR, and Affinity Photo. Number 1: set your aspect ratio for the paper you are printing on, such as cropping to the aspect ratio.  Number 2: set all all your configurations the way you normally set for borderless. PRINT! On 11x17 paper, which is not a normal size (quite often custom), a small margin is left on all four sides but the width is the same all the way around. 5 hours, a lot of ink and paper to finally get what we all want...borderless. I am on a mac but should work the same on a Windows machine.

Sandra Daughtry

Having the same problem trying to print with my Canon printer I still get borders and unevenly. You would think after all this time you would make a product that could print the way a person would like to have it printed. Well changing the ratios may help some it will not help all. And as far as configurations like you would normally do for borderless some of us are totally lost and inept of figuring that out. I'm just a beginner when it comes down to printing and have always used for Corel and never had a problem. If this problem doesn't get resolved soon I may ask for my money back and turn and go back to PSP it may be a lot more work but I get the prints I want.

Elena O'Brien

Hi Sandra Daughtry,

One of our customers could override this limitation like this: https://prnt.sc/vokerp

Also, we recommend exporting your photos and printing them from Windows Viewer.

Tony Collins

Seriously??? 😂

Three years on and you are still saying you've been unable to fix this fundamental issue and telling people to export and print using a different app?

If you spent just 5% of your fancy AI feature budget on fixing the basics like this, you'd have a much better product. As it is, I rarely use Luminar now, and will likely be investing in an alternative app when an update is released in Autumn.

Please sign in to leave a comment.