Exporting to jpeg - quality slider and resolution

Comments

6 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Steve,

The printability of the photo will depend on the Quality slider as well as the physical size (Width and Height). For example, I usually export photos for Facebook with a measurement of no more than 1200px on the long edge. It limits the size it can be printed, and it also conforms with Facebooks' recommendations for image uploads. (More on that here: https://www.facebook.com/help/266520536764594?helpref=related )

Comment actions Permalink
    K.G. Wuensch

The DPI in the metadata itself is a completely meaningless value. It once was used by DTP programs to determine the initial size of the opened image in relation to the document, even back then it was just a suggestion that the user could override. Today only the pixel dimensions are important. More important would be to show the file size before exporting  because many sites have (sensible) upload limits determined by some pixel dimensions (as in “longest size not larger than 1200 pixel”) and a maximum file size (as in “file smaller than 500 kib”) - then you’d want to select the best quality for your export within that set of constraints. Most (I can’t remember one that doesn’t, even GIMP does) image editors show the file size on the basis of the current settings before you trigger the final export - with Luminar being the exception, here you have to blindly set a quality and if the file is too small you have to reexport with higher quality, if it’s too big, same but with lower quality... 

Steve Kruger

Thanks KG.. a good explanation. I limit the dimensions on the longest side to either 1000 or 2048 depending on where I am posting. Usually limit the size of the file by setting at 72ppi. Or file size  can be set (or limited)  if I export using Lightroom export.

Eventually I hope to break away fully from Adobe products and Luminar 2018 has been a good start. Lets hope the development promised continues. The quality slider is very hit and miss but I guess better than nothing.

Thanks once again.

Steve Kruger

Thanks Angela... I believe I replied to the email notification ..didnt realise the message came from here. oops. 

Manfred Ram

Just saw this and noted in the intial post that Steve opted to chose 100 percent quality for export. This is not really required, since there is no difference in visab le quality between 85/86 percent and 100 percent. This is why many/most tools have this (85 %) as a standard qualtity. IF you choose 100percent only file size will increase dramatically, but quality does not.

Steve Kruger

Thanks Manfred...I have been exporting at around 65% for web and have been happy with the file size and the quality. 

These days if someone wants your image there is not much you can do about it, especially with the image resizing software now available eg Topaz Labs AI Gigapixel. So I stick with a lower percentage and just vary the image dimensions as needed. Cheers

Please sign in to leave a comment.