DAM PROGRESS

Comments

209 comments

Dax

“Skylum’s goal with its DAM is not to check off a list of ‘must-have’ features.”

What a discouraging statement! If you’re going to take an extra year to deliver a product that you’ve continually promoted as both a “Lightroom replacement” and “coming soon,” at least tell me it’s because you’re in the final stages of checking off all the must-have features!

A snarky note to your PR department:

must-have (adj.)

essential or highly desirable

I’ll be honest. It’s not so much the long delay since purchasing the software specifically for the DAM. I’m the sucker there. It’s the rare and vague updates such as this one. Are you sure you’ve actually been working on the DAM all this time? Because this reads like an email I would send if I had had months to complete a project, but I didn't actually start working on it until the night before it was due.

Comment actions Permalink
    Paul Curtis

I give up!! I have been waiting for the DAM since I bought Luminar 2017 last summer.  I then bought Luminar 2018 last fall because they promised a DAM in early 2018.  it seems like they are continuously working on adding every feature EXCEPT the DAM.  The workflow is way too slow if I have to use an external DAM like Adobe Bridge.  I take hundreds of pictures at a time and need a fast way to sort and edit.  I have now completely given up on Luminar and bought On1 Photo Raw. 

Sascha Picchiantano

I am really really upset with this. Just like Paul Curtis, I have purchased Luminar for the sole reason of receiving a DAM, which was promised to be added to Luminar "soon", back when I bought Luminar 2017 last year. And just like Paul, I upgraded to L2018 because it was promised it would come early 2018. Now it looks like the DAM will hit the street end of this year or maybe even 2019. By that time we probably have to upgrade to Luminar 2019.

Way to screw over customers. 

Michael Anderson

"Skylum’s goal with its DAM is not to check off a list of “must-have” features". 

That sounds like damage control marketing speak in advance when they know the comparisons between the DAM and Lr, Bridge, C1P, On1 Raw, and others will not so favorable.    Sounds like I will not be moving off Adobe this year, or at least, not to Luminar. 

Sascha Picchiantano

@Lieven no need to get cocky here. 

1. no patience - I think it is warranted when you were brought into buying Luminar 2016, then 2017 and then 2018, for all of which the DAM was promised. I would have never bought Luminar if it wasn't for the DAM that was promised. After 2 or 3 upgrades, I think it is very reasonable to become a little upset - I already paid for this non-existent feature twice. 

2. I am not sure who you are referring to, but I haven't come across a single post in this thread where I thought the person who wrote a post thought he or she are more important than others. Maybe you are a little over-sensitive?

3. No one is forcing anyone to do anything. What you are seeing here are complaints about promises that weren't held. If it was a free product, those complaints would be unwarranted for. But we all paid money. 2 years ago. 

If you're happy with the status quo, good for you. But please don't tell others to shut up.

Margarita Ney

Okay, so no progress announcement about the DAM in August .... this company is an absolute joke!  Scott Bourne, if I had any sort of admiration for you in the past, guess what .... now I don't.  As the President of this company, the buck stops with you.  Empty promises ... again!  Never, ever will I hand over a cent to this company again!

K.G. Wuensch

@Mike, the word that was spread by the Skylum employees here was that there would be an official announcement by the end of the month (the month being august 2018)... Well, there hasn't been one.

Fernando Ariznavarreta

So the DAM is still in pre-alpha or alpha release, as it was not submitted to regular users (selected user community) to try it.

As the beta testing lasts for several months (usually about 6 months) we cannot expect the final relase till the end of 2018 or early 2019.

Clearly skylum has spread the word about the DAM way too early, which is a mistake. I hope they have learned something from it.

Anyway I am interested in the product, I purchase it under a educational license which is quite cheap and it gives me good results as a plugin to make quick adjustments.

The main problem with that is the lack of correct color management under windows (color space and display profile), which needs an urgent fix.

I am not sure if the DAM and skylum itself will be a confident enough product/company to put all my images under their umbrella, yet.

As soon as I can beta test it I will try it and keep the catalog in parallel with Lightroom for a while

Regards

Morten Erbs

As the Windows version is still not fully functional and as the DAM is not in sight (!), I decided to go for Lightroom even though I don´t like the subscription model. But I now have a software that works, and is a lot faster than Luminar.

I still hope that Luminar eventually will turn into what it was supposed to be (on Windows too), but as I don´t see that happening "soon" I had to look in other directions.

Mike Hardisty

It's not just the DAM. There are so many features missing from the Windows version compared to the MAC that Skylum still haven't implemented. All we get are promises that we will get compatibility before the end of the year. But they are already talking about a 2019 version so what do you think the chances are that it's going to happen.

I for one find it very frustrating watching the excellent video series by Jim Nix on both Aurora and Luminar and then realising that our cut down beta version of the products just can't do some of the some things Jim describes.

Gene Flanigan

Will Luminar start giving out refunds if the DAM is not released "SOON"?

Frank Fiorentino

@Angela...the question is will L18 users get DAM updated to address bugs...and let's be honest here...Skylum's track record is  new versions of software are quite buggy.

Anything short of a free or very deep discount ($20 or less) to L19 means many of us will just walk away. 

Preston Turner

Reasons to be worried.

Timeline: MacPhun - DAM will be here in late 2017. Then announced Spring, 2018. Then "Late Spring" 2017, Then an article in June 2017 by Mr. Bourne saying we need to rethink what a DAM is, whatever that means. Then Skylum claims public release date will be "announced" in August, 2018 [nothing], then more crickets. It's time to stop promoting/pre-announcing what must have been vaporware in 2017, when it is a year later and you still do not have a firm ship date.

K.G. Wuensch

@John, the problem with an outlier DAM is that those targeted by Skylum's campaign to switch from Lightroom to Luminar will be completely screwed - because they usually don't want to switch because the functionality of LR doesn't suit them but rather they don't want to have a subscription. So those that bought Luminar to replace Lightroom, as was promised over and over and over again, will be confronted by a DAM that will in all likelyhood be unworkable for them (because it's different for the sake of being different)...

Michael Anderson

The critical statements are a natural response to huge delays in a product, the DAM, that was promised years ago, features that were removed and not replaced (proper masking), and poor design quality (Luminar for Windows).

The admins are wise to not respond to those remarks.  Nothing good comes from trying to correct or argue with a customer in public. 

Michael Anderson

Spot on Dax.   Lots of attempted early spin by Skylum to lower expectations for a DAM promised 2 years ago.   Hard to get much lower expectations.   I hope when it finally released it is compatible with Mojave and not just tested on High Sierra. 

Michael Anderson

It makes me wonder why lot's of people have:
    1. no patience.      

We have been waiting for over 2 years since the commitment was made by their management.

2. pretend they're more important than others (we're all the same).  

None of us are the same including identical twins.  That is a genetic fact.

3. try to force companies to promises no-one can keep.   

Their management should never make promises they can not keep.  They volunteered the commitment, it was not forced on them over 2 years ago.  

Lebert Wilson-Harris

@ashleygoble ask and you shall receive. Please don't misread what I put. Of course the DAM will be free upgrade for current owners but in the years to follow expect a price hike. https://www.techradar.com/news/skylum-to-start-over-with-a-new-digital-asset-manager-for-luminar

Sorry I do not know how to tag someone.

Andy Campbell

'info about it very soon' MEANS NOTHING !! GIVE US A DATE !

You were happy to take our money - now deliver otherwise this is looking VERY BAD for Skylum and leaving themselves open to legal action. I know that sounds strong language but you sold us Luminar under false pretenses unless you deliver !!

Anders Öquist

Ashley, if you honestly think that "everyone's life and needs is different" why not accept that there are alot of us that that wants a DAM in Luminar and why be berating by saying that LR is a "rip off". The same goes there the needs are different. 

There are a few software companies that will let you upgrade to the latest version free of charge. Most software companies that charge you for an update adds features to the latest version instead of the former version just to coerce you into buying the latest. That have been the practice since the dawn of software and the customers tend to upgrade their software to the latest release. So "rip off" is not necessarily a true thing regardless of being a professional or not, it is just a way to berate people that do not make the same decision as you make when you do not buy a subscription. - The money spent differs, but not in the way that calling it a "rip off" is called for. 

The only reason that I am still using LR is just because it has a DAM built in. 

Even if there are options like ON1, my choice was Luminar because I liked it more than ON1. And in addition to that choice a DAM was supposedly to be released soon, it made me buy Luminar, that is 9 months ago. That is not really "soon", is it?

Frank Fiorentino

@ashley

the pigs comment is a saying...you can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig. The correlation is that while Luminar is not a subscription, one gets roped into paying every year to have bugs addressed. L18 will get no support once L19 is out. 

Sascha Picchiantano

Mike... WT* dude...

The bottom line is this, if you like the product then use it as it is and wait patiently for the DAM.  If you don't like it or Skylum then stop with the negativity, go use another product and leave the rest of us in peace.

You are completely missing the point (just like Ashley, who doesn't seem to have a life and keeps responding to every second post here, even though he isn't even interested in the DAM - classic trolling). 

If you don't like people complaining about the DAM, just don't read this thread and leave the rest of us in peace. 

And just one more time so mayb you'll get it: Some of us have been waiting very patiently for a very long time. What you seem to miss is the fact that Skylum started advertising (!!!) for the DAM in 2016 and kept telling us since then "it's coming soon". So we've already been waiting for a very long time, and we have been upgrading to the next version. I personally already paid twice for the product and still don't have the DAM.

So if you don't mind, if you are not bothered by this, just troll some place else. 

Jerry Dean

Minus 1 on the millions of people waiting, I am moving on, I will not give Skylum any more of my  money.  Terrible business practices and broken promises.  Soon...soon....soon.....NOT!   I have purchased On1.

Tom Pickering

Alina -

Clearly from this post, us regular users won't see anything until probably September, which is not soon as I figure it.

Stephen Valcourt

I agree with the other sentiments that statements such as our goal is not to check off a list of features is disturbing to me, especially from a company I am learning likes to make promises and take forever to under deliver. I received an offer from ON1 for their software for $49 and gave it a try: it may not be pretty, but it works great and they seem to listen to their customers.

K.G. Wuensch

Sorry, that

"Skylum’s goal with its DAM is not to check off a list of “must-have” features. Instead, the goal is to fundamentally rethink the purpose of a DAM to ensure Skylum isn’t merely following the footsteps of others, but carving its own path."

is pure marketing BS bingo - along the lines, we don't know what a DAM really needs to do but we'll have something that we slap the name DAM on... Sorry, a DAM is a well defined set of features. If the DAM doesn't fulfill any number of fundamental requirements, it doesn't deserve to be called a DAM!

Sascha Picchiantano

I agree with K.G. - It's not just about replicating what others are doing, it's about getting rid of the Adobe scam. Especially now, with Adobe now having two different versions of Lightroom and moving towards cloud storage for your photos. 

Another big factor is the UI/UX. I've pretty much tried every DAM on the planet and while most of them do a pretty good job when it comes to developing RAWs, basically all of them are a nightmare when it comes to user interface, user experience, workflow and actual asset management. There was one exception to this and that was Apple's Aperture. It was very fast, very pretty (yes, for some this counts), had the best workflow ever (no switching between management and development), and had by far the best asset management capabilities. We need a new Apple Aperture - and here I was hoping Skylum could be the one. 

Jub De

I give up hope on the DAM. Its all promises and nothing else. I am using DigiKam

Sascha Claren

I really would like to know what Skylums definition of „soon“ is :-D

John Robinson

I think 'soon' is a typo. Skylum actually mean 'so on'. This allows it to continually set timeframes. I'm becoming cynical!

I've decided to fix my own 'drop dead' date; by the end of the year I want a manageable workflow of Skylum's DAM and Luminar. I'm working on my contingency plan if this doesn't happen. It will probably be Lightroom if I can get it to work on my Mac. Whilst I can't really afford to dump Skylum [time invested] and start learning something new, I can't afford not to. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.