DAM PROGRESS

Comments

209 comments

Angela Andrieux

@Jerry - Correct. We will release the DAM by the end of the year.

Comment actions Permalink
    Jerry Dean

@Angela Andrieux In all due respect with the past history of Skylum DAM availability announcements perhaps you should say we hope to release the DAM by the end of the year.  Then when it doesn't happen folks won't be as upset.

Mike Hardisty

@ Leila Abdullaieva If you are part of the SKYLUM team you should know what is missing and not working. And to put not too fine a point upon it I couldn't care less if they are in Aurora 19 as I have no intention of buying another load of vapourware.

I want what I paid for in Aurora 2018

Sascha C.

Seriously? This must be a joke :D. You are kidding us. From 2017 to early 2018 to mid 2018 to summer 2018 to autumn 2018 jus a week ago to late 2018 and end of 2018 now. Between that we heard „soon“ with every second post. Software Engineering and project Management seem not to be your core competencies. Bad for a software development company.

Renato Richina

The question is the end of which year... I'm more than consternated because for month you told us, that releasing DAM is top priority and this means for me, all programmers work on it. Now you make pre-sale for Aurora 2019, which seems to be released very soon. Sorry, but this makes once more all your promises for DAM unbelievable

Denis Kotsee

@Mike Hardisty we're asking because we want to be able to provide you with a specific answer.

Denis Kotsee

@Renato Richina end of this year, this is solid information.

We made a commitment to release new versions of our apps annually, so that's why we're putting out the 2019 version of Aurora HDR, the DAM for Luminar is going to follow it.

Ron Cozby

received this from support, I saw where someone mentioned this yesterday about the DAM and Aurora 19. So Aurora will not be using the DAM from Luminar. I guess that is expected and make sense.

"Thank you for your reaching out.

You will be able to use Aurora HDR 2019 as a plug-in for Luminar 2018 with the DAM."

Mike Hardisty

@Denis Kotsee. 

Two things I can think of right away,

1. Top and Bottom Tuning. It's nowhere as near as functional as the MAC version and please don't tell me to rotate the horizonal slider slightly. It's still crap even when you do

2. Plugins. That's a feature we don't have

I've no doubt there's more that you as a team know about, but quite frankly I've given up asking for these to be fixed or included and therefore just don't use A18 anymore. Or for that matter Luminar 18 for similar reasons.

There's nothing more annoying than watching the excellent videos from Jim Nix and then realising the Windows version doesn't have feature he mentions, or work differently

All we get are promises, none of which seem to be materialising, especially as I and others have been complaining about T&B right from the start. 

Sascha C.

Will DAM for Luminar become a separate product? Sold separately from Luminar?

Jub De

@leila @ denis. You are asking for a check feature? Check the specs of AURORA 2019. TOP AND BOTTOM TUNING. It's nearly a year now that nothing had been done to address the issue. Are you not aware of that?

Angela Andrieux

@Mike - I don't have a specific release date quite yet, but I just received confirmation that those two features will be added in Luminar 2018 for Windows users.

@Sascha - No. It will be integrated into Luminar 2018.

@Jub De - I'm sorry if our request came across wrong. We aren't asking you (or any of our customers) to keep tabs on the differences between the two platforms. However, your feedback is valuable in helping us prioritize those tools or differences in functionality that would make the biggest impact on your workflow. I can confirm that the Top and Bottom Tuning issue will be addressed in Luminar 2018.

Andy Campbell

Intrigued by your recent announcement regarding Skylum Libraries which, I assume, is the new name for the promised DAM:

'We had initially planned to release those features in Luminar 2019, as a paid upgrade, just like we usually do.'

So from this statement it seems that you had, originally, intended to defraud all those individuals who purchased Luminar 2018 with the promise of a free upgrade. Now you are adding spin to that position by indicating that you are 'being the nice guys' and giving a free upgrade to everyone throughout 2019 who owns Luminar 2018 in order to finally deliver on functionality that was originally promised for a Spring 208 delivery.

You made the point that unlike Adobe you would buy Luminar once and own it for life indicating that the cost of ownership would be significantly cheaper that Adobe Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC.

Your marketing department needs some SERIOUS talking to to stop the lying to customers.

It now seems that, in order to get the latest versions, albeit delivered WAY BEHIND SCHEDULE, I will, indeed, be subject to ongoing upgrade costs with the Skylum solutions.

On the other hand I can subscribe to the Adobe Photographers package for $9.99 per month for Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic CC and get VASTLY SUPERIOR FUNCTIONALITY and be able to share and edit ALL my photos on ALL my devices (I am able to view and edit all of my 48,000 photos on my 32Gb iPhone/iPad and immediately sync all my edits via the included Adobe Cloud and it only consumes 25Mb of my Adbobe Cloud storage to be able to do that !!)

Cost of ownership for Adobe Cloud Photography Plan = $120 per year with regular and frequent FREE upgrades downloaded and installed automatically.

Cost of ownership with Skylum Tools Luminar, Aurora and (who knows) Libraries =$69 + $99 + ?? = $168 for initial purchase + ???? for ongoing annual upgrades which contain ???? promised features.

For my money there is no competition ADOBE ALL THE WAY - way more functionality, professional support, huge community of developers,huge resource pools to draw upon VS Skylum - a clearly second rate set of products with no clear roadmap to catch up, constant over promise and under deliver, totally misleading marketing.

I understand that Skylum offer easy to use tools in a very narrow scope of functionality but BE HONEST WITH YOUR MARKETING AND DONT PRETEND IT IS THE SAME LEAGUE AS THE ADOBE PRODUCTS. CHOOSE YOUR NICHE AND STICK TO IT UNTIL YOU CAN COMPETE.

I personally have wasted way too long learning and waiting for your products to deliver on promises. I will continue to OBSERVE but will not USE until you are able to offer a close to complete offering in your niche. Until then, several years down the line, I am and will continue to be ADOBE ALL THE WAY.

Don't waste users time and money on false promises

My final tip to anyone who does purchase Skylum products: take a screenshot of the deal you have been promised when you purchase. Promises have a mysterious way of being spun later to deprive you of the original promised functionality in a reasonable timeframe.

To Skylum: The only honest way for you to recover from this situation is to honor the original statement of 'buy once and own forever' is to provide all current owners of Luminar ongoing free upgrades to ALL future versions of the Luminar software and the DAM/Library functionality (or whatever you are calling it this week).

Tony Collins

Dude - get a grip.

They've never promised free upgrades forever, and I'm pretty certaine no-one (including you) was naive enough to believe they did.

Buy once, keep forever means just that - you can buy it, and keep/use the functionality you've bought for as long as you care to - just as you could with Adobe before they went to the subscription model (and in fact, just as I have for the last 3.5 years or so, since I upgraded to lightroom 6 - costing me less than £20 per year)

If you want or need features in a later version - you'll have to pay, just as I would if I decided the latest adobe bells/whistles were essential to me. Difference is with adobe, I'd be locked into £120 per year forever regardless whether or not  I need latest features in future updates.

Upgrade to the DAM of course was promised, and I'll be expecting that for my 2018 version.

Jub De

@Angela Andrieux Leila was asking to specify what those features are so she can check and tell us if Aurora HDR 2019 has them? Aurora 2019 lists TOP and BOTTOM TUNING as a feature. Now if Skylum has not fixed the TOP & BOTTOM TUNING on Aurora 2018 & Luminar 2018, how in the world can you include as a 2019 feature something that you have not even able to fixed in your 2018 versions until now?

Andy Campbell

Tony Collins.... yes they PROMISED that they would provide a DAM in SPRING 2018. If they are going to make clear statements like  that in order to entice people to part with their $$$ THEY SHOULD DELIVER. There is a blatant dishonesty about their approach here to the point where ANY future promises CANNOT be believed.

They strike me as a VERY immature company in this space by the approach to marketing they are taking and the people who are taking the hit are their users. This is basic dishonesty which is crowned by the recent statement regarding the release in December ( really - I can't wait for them to meet that deadline !) of what they are now calling 'Libraries' conveniently side stepping what the content of a Photographic Digital Asset Management should include and led users to believe that is what they would be getting so that they could get away from Lightroom.

They need to publish a CLEAR roadmap before making ANY future promises. They have NOT made clear how these 'Libraries' relate to a full DAM capability and until this 'Libraries' functionality fully delivers on the DAM capability INCLUDING associated migration utilities from, at least, Lightroom then THEY SHOULD PROVIDE FREE UPGRADES TO CURRENT LUMINAR 2018 USERS. There is certainly NO GUARANTEE that the full DAM capability will be provided during the window of 2019 and until it is provided the Skylum will be in BREACH OF CONTRACT if they do not provide FREE UPGRADES. History has shown us that they are distinctly unable to meet deadlines.

Skylum cannot suddenly change the scope and provide 'Libraries' (whatever they may be) in the place of the promised DAM and think they have satisfied the CONTRACTS they made with users of Luminar 2018. THEY HAVEN'T.

The line in the sand is that a Luminar 2018 user can reasonably migrate all their data from Lightroom, including metadata, ratings, collections etc etc ( including edits) and then continue to manage future data as part of the same database.

Until they can do this then the contract made IS NOT SATISFIED and FREE UPGRADES should continue.

As far as 'getting a grip' goes, Dude, I'm just holding them accountable to satisfy a LEGAL CONTRACT.

I know you are looking forward to the DAM also - my only advise to you is 'don't hold your breath' - it's likely to take them longer than 2019 and, if ther upgrade pricing model follows the same trajectory as Aurora then you will likely be asked for way more than the $120/year for Adobe Photograhy CC to upgrade your Skylum functionality on an annual basis.

Jerry Dean

@Andy Campbell-So much negativity, if you are so upset with the happenings with Luminar 2018 why not just ask for a refund and be done with it and use another software program.    I like using Luminar, I am not happy having to wait this long for the DAM but it is what it is.  How about being more positive and relieve some of your stress.  Life is too short to be small!

Tony Collins

@Andy - What do adobe call the module where you manage your digital assets in lightroom? Yes, that's right, Library.

And whatever contract you believe you made with Skylum - it did not include a definition of DAM, so if you purchased with a specific view of what those three letters meant - perhaps you should have asked for the small print first.

For me, I purchased so that I could see what an alternative (note, alternative not equivalent - equivalent was also never promised) might look like. Sure, it's late, and I've made my views known on that - one of which is that 2019 functionality should be a free upgrade, which they have delivered on.

That makes me pretty much a happy customer. Now we'll see what we get, and if it is good enough to prise me away from my 3 1/2 year old lightroom.

Sascha Picchiantano

I never understand that type of personality that tries to tell other people they shouldn't speak up when something bad happens. Shutting up and moving on with something like this means you accept it and let others run into the same situation. The negativity, btw, is coming from Skylum. The negativity coming from the customers is a direct response to the predatory and fishy business practices of Skylum.

You know, in my eyes, it's the people who accept everything and never speak up against unjust situations who actually have a small life. 

Mike Morrison

@Jerry   +1

Jerry Dean

Flogging a dead horse (alternatively beating a dead horse, or beating a dead dog in some parts of the Anglophone world) is an idiom that means to continue a particular endeavour is a waste of time as the outcome is already decided.

Angela Andrieux

@Jub De - With regard to Top & Bottom Tuning in Aurora HDR 2019, you will still have to move the rotate slider in order for the horizontal shift slider to work. It will be fixed in a future update, but unfortunately I don't have an exact date I can share at this time.

Tony Collins

I have no problem with speaking out when a company is  not performing as promised. In fact as stated above, I have done (and unjustly IMO had a comment deleted as a result). However excessive negativity and claiming promises which have never been made does more harm than good.

I'm also interested where the expectation of spring came from. The only official Skylum statements I've seen have said "in 2018". Admittedly there have been forum posts saying "soon" but I can't find anything with a definitive "spring" statement.

Andy Campbell

Tony - That's precisely why I propose that ANYONE purchasing software from this company takes a screenshot of the deal they signed up for. The simple fact that you cannot find any reference to Spring 2018 regarding the DAM shows how important it is to do this and how easily companies can 'change the game' knowing it is very difficult for people to recover the detail of the deal they signed up for.

Mike Hardisty

@Angela Andrieux. Why don't you just give up on spinning Top and Bottom Tuning ever being fixed for Windows users. Skylum have been saying that for almost a year and you still haven't fixed it. 

You told me sixteen days ago that it would fixed in Lumimar 2018 but you don't have a date when. Give up. No one believes you any more. That's why your posts are getting negatives

Mike Hardisty

@Denis Kotsee. If you want to provide us with a specific answer then you should stop @Angela Andrieux from telling us 

"I don't have a specific date at this time"

It really is annoying to keep seeing this being spouted every response from Skylum

Denis Kotsee

@Mike Hardisty it's not broken on Windows, it just works differently. There is functionality to adjust the vertical shift in the Windows version - the gradient mask. Angela really dooesn't know the exact date, neither do I, our developers have tasks with higher priority than this, so they're dedicating their time to those tasks.

Mike Hardisty

@Denis Kotsee. That's one way of putting it "It just works differently". You and I and all the other users of the Windows version know full well it doesn't work properly. 

Using the gradient mask is just a kop out.

Besides which, why ask us what we think is wrong if you are not going to fix it. Skylum have been promising to make it work the same way as the MAC version right from when I an other Windows users complained it wasn't working correctly. Yet you still spin us with the developers have more important things to do.

From what I have read here, A19 Windows version will still have the same problem and you are already working on L19 so when is it ever likely to get resolved.

It's a shame really, because I had high hopes that you would be the company to help me break the Adobe tie-in but there is no way that I would commit to a Skylum workflow because I cannot trust you as a company.

Harsh, maybe, but as long as you continue to give us nothing but spin and promises, there is no way that I would commit to buying another Skylum product.

Peter Marxen

Hi Angela,

the people from your support want for the refund on my bancaccount 30 USD fees... Could you please investigate?

thanks

Anastasia Davis

@Mike Hardisty I understand how you might feel. Nevertheless, we do keep our promises and trying our best to make you satisfied with the products. Step by step we will achieve the parity of Windows and Mac OS versions. We just need some time.

Please sign in to leave a comment.