DAM PROGRESS

Comments

209 comments

Tom Pickering

Mike -

In another thread, Angela intimated that they are working on fixes for the Windows version, but that flies in the face of everything else that has come out of Skylum because of the DAM.  Of course, they a pre-selling Photolemur, which they acquired recently, so they have at least one developer working on that.  I'm thinking the other one is working on the DAM.

Comment actions Permalink
    Brian Ramage

At this point, instead of saying everyone that bought Luminar 2018 will receive the DAM update...they should be saying, "Everyone that has purchased Luminar 2018 will receive the DAM when it arrives AND Luminar 2019"

I purchased Luminar as a next step to move away from Apple Aperture but CANNOT without the DAM. I am feeling shafted by this experience and will look to other software and a refund ...soon.

Angela Andrieux

@Mike Hardisty - Luminar 2018 will be updated with the DAM and we are planning to release Luminar 2019 later next year.

As for parity between WIndows/Mac - those features are being worked on as well, but DAM does have priority at the moment.

Frank Fiorentino

@Angela...the question is will L18 users get DAM updated to address bugs...and let's be honest here...Skylum's track record is  new versions of software are quite buggy.

Anything short of a free or very deep discount ($20 or less) to L19 means many of us will just walk away. 

Angela Andrieux

@Frank Fiorentino - Seeing as there will likely be several months between the release of DAM and the next (paid) major version upgrade, there will be updates to address bugs.

As for v.2019 - I don't have info about pricing (or upgrade discounts) quite yet.

Preston Turner

Reasons to be worried.

Timeline: MacPhun - DAM will be here in late 2017. Then announced Spring, 2018. Then "Late Spring" 2017, Then an article in June 2017 by Mr. Bourne saying we need to rethink what a DAM is, whatever that means. Then Skylum claims public release date will be "announced" in August, 2018 [nothing], then more crickets. It's time to stop promoting/pre-announcing what must have been vaporware in 2017, when it is a year later and you still do not have a firm ship date.

Brian Ramage

it would behoove the company to offer free/extreme discount on Luminar 2019 to those who have purchased a "yet complete" Luminar 2018. the idea of a DAM offered has been around since last year and SOON as a reply each time does not mean much to those already in "the system" 

Brian Ramage

Believe me, this Luminar update with DAM is bigly, you’re going to love it. I’ll be YUGE. Those of you who switched to Luminar from those other Loser programs are going to be winning like nobody has won before. You will be so tired of winning once you use it. Those that are saying Luminar isn’t working on a DAM or fixing bugs…that’s FAKE NEWS. We truly are Making Photos Great Again!

Jerry Dean

@Brian Ramage, are bigly and yuge even a part of the English language? 

Brian Ramage

@Jerry Dean to some people they are. I think the real "Bigly" was supposed to be #45 saying "Big League" but for some reason the way he says it, it sounds like bigly.

Jerry Dean

@Brian Ramage I have never seen the word YUGE before, do you mean HUGE?

Frank Fiorentino

c'mon people. Brian is obviously being satirical.

Brian Ramage

it was all written in reference to this guy. it was sounding similar in Skylum's responses how great it would be and SOON and no real details.

jean Vidal

Bravo Brian vue d'europe c'est exactement cela moi je pars aujourd'hui pour on1 Bye

Robert Dalton

I guess patience IS a virtue 

😀

Ron Cozby

You think they would scrub this sort of stuff off right?

https://skylum.com/blog/luminar-future

Nov 30th 2016. Oh, how time flies by when your being taken for a ride.

Michael Anderson

What is amazing is the amount of newbie customers who do not seem to know about those Macphun management commitments with the DAM being already 1 year late and how we have lost features like luminosity masking that used to be in Aurora and Luminar with the decision to go for both MacOS and Windows.    But somehow the company had the resources to produce Photolemur in parallel?  

Brian Ramage

^ that link above sounds to be a promising program. updates every few months, and a DAM since 2017. 

I did read a blog post today by the CEO (?) and it looks like there may not be a paid L2019...perhaps it is free to current users as they try to finesse the entire Luminar (Mac/PC) apps with DAM and everything in-between.

if so, that would be a very nice gesture. as many have purchased and waited on the program as it seemed to be in 2017.

Frank Fiorentino

@Brian...all that means is the paid version of L19 will not be available in calendar year 2018 but it will be released in calendar year 2019.  My guess is it gets out early so they can bring in some cash.

K.G. Wuensch

@Frank, maybe Skylum should try Kickstarter - I think their current scheme of financing development of the Luminar DAM will fail rather sooner than later.

Michael Anderson

Interesting that today we start to get the presales push for Aurora 2019.   $49 if current owner and $89 if not.   Note the Aurora 2019 story makes no mention of being about to use the Luminar DAM.    At least in the Aurora 2019 feature list, luminosity masking is back.   But of course it remains to be seen what the feature does and how it behaves.   Perhaps some of the new Aurora 2019 features will be part of Luminar 2019.    

Very hard to know without any published roadmap for either Luminar or Aurora.   And no mention of Photolemur could/should/would be part of the total Skylum portfolio.    Things get curiouser and curiouser.   

Brian Ramage

@Frank...I re-read that line and unfortunately believe you are correct.

As it stands. I have chosen poorly. I chose Luminar (with the DAM Vaporware) instead of better PostProcessors with Included DAM.

Seriously thinking this company is just a VC money grab. all signs point toward that. sad

Tadeusz Cynkowski

So we see the same poor marketing tricks. They have right now 3 half cooked products which they try to sell. Luminar without DAM, Photolemur in beta and today Aurora 2019 without any release date, at least I could not find it. In a month we will get the same information to all questions: SOON

Mike Crosa

Hw does it go?

You can fool some people all of the time

And you can fool all of the people some of the time.

But you can't fool all the people all of the time.

Robert Barr

Alex and crew will get this much cash from me in the future: $0.00.

For all of the reasons previously mentioned: vaporware (DAM), half finished products (MAC/PC parity), overuse of the word 'soon'. On an on it goes.

Valdemar Klauber

To me, it´s obvious that Alex & crew are low on funds. The DAM project are troubles, nobody out here know for sure for how long. So we can choose to kick the fallen for their inability to fulfill our dreams yesterday; by that action tearfully kissing them goodbye, or we can give them our support.

Nobody likes to wait for Christmas.

Denis Kotsee

To anyone who's wondering: we're going to release Aurora HDR 2019 on October 4th this year. The DAM is coming by the end of this year as well.

Mike Hardisty

@Denis Kotsee Does this mean that the outstanding problems and features that are missing from A18 Windows version will not be addressed by SKYLUM once A19 is released on the 4th October

Leila Evans

Could you please specify what features are you referring to so I can check and tell you if Aurora HDR 2019 has them?

Jerry Dean

@Denis Kotsee So now we have gone from this fall to the end of the year for the DAM release?  

Please sign in to leave a comment.