DAM PROGRESS

Comments

209 comments

emiliano cavolina

@Ashley Goble

do you have the win or mac version? I having the win version of both luminar and Aurora. many features are missing or they have bugs. It is not the only Dam that is missing.

@Mike Morrison

Angela Andrieux wrote in different posts

Thank you for your patience thus far! I know you, and many others are anxious for news. I'm anticipating that some detailed info about it will be released by the end of the week. Stay tuned.

we'll be releasing some detailed info about it very soon and are anticipating its release this fall.

Nobody talked about release as of August 31 but of news, since the release will be perhaps in the fall. Will we have to wait until autumn for bug correction(win version)?

Comment actions Permalink
    Gene Flanigan

Will Luminar start giving out refunds if the DAM is not released "SOON"?

Tadeusz Cynkowski

Gene Flanigan. I think they will, but the problem is that for Skylum "SOON" means few years. Frankly I begin to suspect that there is no any DAM at all and all this noise is just marketing trick.

Shyju Krishnankutty

When is the DAM coming out ? 

Margarita Ney

... and Team Skylum members have been absent for a few days, without anything to say ... because the don't know what to say now!

I posted a strong comment about the lack of news and DAM in Skylum's Facebook page yesterday and initially my post disappeared (suspect it was deleted).  I complaint for the deletion and re-posted.  The response I got was:  "We are so sorry for making you wait. It’s in the final stage of development". .... Hmmm, how long have we been hearing this? .. And what is this Photolemur 3 thing now?  Collecting money upfront again?

Tadeusz Cynkowski

"SOON" :)

Michael Anderson

The same answer we have received for several years......"soon".

Mike Hardisty

@Margarita Ney. You're lucky. I got banned from the Aurora HDR page for posting twice a few home truths.

Jerry Dean

I believe the DAM may be vaporware!

I do like using Luminar but have been using LR Classic 7.5 lately I think I will keep renewing my subscription.  

The difference in dollars spent between the annual cost of a LR subscription and an annual update of Lumina is really not much for me. Also considering the reported price increase of Luminar the difference will be even less.

I think that Lightroom is light years ahead of Luminar.  

Then there is the fact of the never ending delay of the Luminar DAM, I am just having a hard time accepting the business practice and the scruples of Skylum any longer.

K.G. Wuensch

" It’s in the final stage of development". That's not what the last status "It's in the one and only internal beta" should have meant... So it's still some more delays until the developers can finally start fixing bugs.

John Robinson

@Mike Morrison. How well is Adobe Bridge working for you? I'm trialling it at present as a possible future option. Good points for me are that it works, links in with my other photo editing tools, including Luminar 2018, saves the original RAW image which enables me to go back and re-edit old images as my skills improve, and is traditional so the learning curve has been minimal. Downside is that as a browser, it is slow. I've only c6,000 images stored.

I use Photos for Mac but need to move off that even though its quick and easy to use, especially with MacPhun/Skylum editing tools. Might stay with it if it adopts the Dark Mode which is coming this Autumn in the next OS update.

My LR trial was not a success! 

David Dengler

We all have our own viewpoints and needs. I recall seeing "announcement hopefully by the end of the week" about a release of the DAM "this fall". As I posted elsewhere "this fall" most likely means another 2 to 3 months! If someone really needs that DAM right now why not find another solution in the interim? Adobe Bridge is free and ACDSee Photo Studio Standard is very inexpensive. I chose to go with ACDSee. They brag that they have the "best DAM on the market". They may be right! I'm just an amateur with a lot to learn but now I feel like I'm getting somewhere.

When Luminar finally gets its DAM, how reliable or buggy will it be? Just like Lum 2018 for windows in Nov 2017 was missing a ton of features already found in the Mac version, I expect an immature, marginally functional DAM when it finally arrives. Why subject oneself to that frustration?

In the meantime, I'm going with ACDSee for DAM and more, Luminar? Let's see what happens. I'll just wait for that email announcing the DAM but I'm not holding my breath.

Mike Morrison

@ John Robinson.  Bridge works fine for me, it doesn't have all the features I would like to have but to quickly cull my images it does a great job.  My last photo shoot was about 600 images and I was done reviewing them in no time. 

Would I like something better?  Sure.   ACDSee has a nice DAM but I don't like the software.  LR has that catalog that is okay but then I have to rent it forever.  On1 does a good job, but it's really just a folder browser with sidecar files attached to each image which eats up more drive space. Bridge is free and is good enough for now.

When Skylum release's the DAM "soon" maybe it will be what I am looking for or maybe not, we'll see. I've been a Luminar user since it first came out and have always liked the product so waiting for the DAM is not going to throw me into a rage especially since I have been with them for so long.  If I don't like it then I'll look for something else to use.

Stephen Lerch

Here's my personal issue. I bought in Dec 2017. The promise of the DAM was what tipped me over. I am a Windows user. Promised for early 2017, then Spring and now... "sometime in 2018."

Let us remember this, which is still on the site, under the "LIGHTROOM ALTERNATIVE?" link:

https://skylum.com/optimizelr

Why did I buy in? Because I am tired of putting the $ into Adobe's pocket every month when I don't use enough to justify the expense for the three products I do use. (LR, PS, ID, sometimes Audition) I bought into a PROMISE for something that would replace not transform what I do. Before someone accuses me of not wanting to change, I am in IT. IT Is change and I have zero problem with it. But when you promise a replacement for current workflow...

My workflow looked like this: Ingest in Lightroom. Tag, first pass edit/modify/develop. Open in PS for heavier lifting. 

What I had decided to do was begin migration off Photoshop first. This is now done.

I tried and bought Luminar. I have been nothing but disappointed in performance but mostly happy with results (when I could you know, actually SAVE them... which wasn't often until recently...). Performance issues would be glacial opening of photos (on a machine that PS can open the same in a hand full of seconds, Luminar took at least 3x - 5x longer). The software was 100% painful to use coming from something that just worked and worked well. I actually have stopped Luminar and use Affinity's Photo program. 90% of what PS offered without paying the Adobe money and covers 100% of my personal needs. What I had had hoped Luminar could offer, except also replace my LR ingestion steps.

There is a huge part of what I need that Luminar promised, well over a year ago now (I was getting the emails from them in the Summer of '17 if I recall), that I simply don't have. Then you add the extremely poor performance. I own a piece of software (Luminar) I get pretty much zero use out of because it sits in this odd spot of not having a DAM and not offering the capabilities I need from PS or LR (and now, Affinity Phot). I've stopped using it and stopped trying. I chalked up my money as wasted and have begun looking elsewhere, even if I do like the results on some images from time to time compared to the competition. And eventually, with enough work, I can get comparable results from the competition.

Given the promise and the length of time it is taking to get there, I am beginning the process of looking elsewhere for DAM that isn't Luminar. Alien Skin is getting ready to launch X4 and if their product releases with all promised features (it will), has performance near on par with my current workflow (jury out on DAM, but X2 worked and performed very well), I will walk away from Luminar and unlikely to return. I will use the HDR product from time to time but will not pay to upgrade it.

My other option is to try ON1 and pair with Affinity Photo and Design (and soon, Publisher). Either way, I do not believe Luminar will be on my list of products when I no longer need Adobe, which is unfortunate.

If the DAM is magical and transformative like they seem to be claiming, perhaps I will be back. But it will have to be extremely compelling for me to do so. As of right now, vaporware is not compelling for anything other than driving customers away.

My favorite parts of a semi-insulting blog post about a feature we've all been promised:

" it works better, faster and easier"

Must be on a Mac. Can't say any of those things even on my recently updated Windows version.

"As Skylum works on building the world's fastest Digital Asset Manager (DAM) for Luminar"
    Yes. It will be the World's Fastest DAM for Luminar* (*it will be the ONLY DAM for Luminar, so this is a given...)

"Skylum is not trying to replicate the tools or even the approach used by companies like Adobe."

Except you WERE, as of a year ago when you promised the DAM that a lot of folks purchased the product for. The promise of getting away from the subscription. It's true. You sold the product as an Adobe replacement attempt, within HOURS of the Adobe announcement of a new version of LR, and now because it is taking longer to develop, you want to sell it as something transformative. Fair enough, but don't forget what you started the product to do. And still haven't gotten close to the promise.

" We want our software to be fast. Our goal is to be the fastest."

Keep working. You need it. Adobe and Affinity speed are far beyond Luminar in this regards. My computer is old but works well with PS, LR and Affinity products. Can't say the same with Luminar, which makes me sad.

"Within a few weeks, the company will announce its final sale of the current version."
    Yes. We'll get DAM. But active development will move to Luminar 2019 and we'll actually only have a usable DAM with current software for about a month before we are asked to pay the upgrade to 2019. Give me another year of Luminar for buying into this extremely early. Let me have the opportunity to try the new DAM and experience on the latest and greatest you have for your offerings. I would say you owe it to those of us who bought into the promise but I guess having a "usable" version for a year is "enough" for those of us who were promised the switch from Adobe and liked what you promised and believed in.

Anders Öquist

"So are the folk who really need and want  the DAM the same folk who stepped away from Adobe because they were not happy with their platform ? Just asking. "

(I am quoting but my reply to it is as a general question.)

It is seldom black and white, their subscription model are cheaper for some and more costly for others. As I earlier mention that most software companies don´t upgrade former versions free of charge. LR and PS have been costly to upgrade to later version and mind that they have been adding good features to newer releases. I'm not saying that older versions becomes worse, if they worked fine yesterday they would be working fine tomorrow most likely. 

But moving from a subscription based model into buying a new version after release model, or even only to buy one version and stick with it without buying upgraded versions,  is not necessary the same as not being happy with either the subscription model or the software.

I am stepping away from Adobe because my use of LR and PS is no longer motivating me to keep a subscription going. The 6 months, perhaps more (9 months?) before I bought Luminar I have mostly used LR as a DAM with a built in "raw editing software" not the other way around. Import - delete - develop, I spend mere minutes on the last step, hence I am moving to another software. The most important thing in LR for me now is the DAM and in combination with the possibility to quickly develop my photos. I want-ed a software with both of these features ... those 6 or 9 months have now been 15-18 months after I started to realize that I should go with something else.

:/

But I am still waiting, most likely will be waiting and are prepared to wait. But Skylum have been making some promises and we have been buying a product under that pretence. We may voice our opinion to Skylum about it. 

Stephen Valcourt

Well said, SteveL.

Tom Murray

While waiting for Luminar I switched to On1.

Sebastian Franke

@Tom Murray: sad but true, me too 

Stephen Valcourt

@Tom Murray same here, and honestly: I don’t regret it at all. Only regret is having bought Luminar based on their promise of a DAM before moving to ON1.

Frank Fiorentino

At this point I do not even think the DAM exists.  I am annoyed that I bought 2017 and 2018 for the DAM as I was looking to move away from Adobe.  I have been using LR since the first beta and was a raw shooter pro user before that.  One thing this delay has done is made me realize that moving away from LR is not a good plan for me. The plugin functionality of Luminar with LR is garbage since it does not save my editing history so I cannot go back and re-edit if necessary.

The only reason I am monitoring this is because I paid for something that was marketed very heavily and I feel cheated.

Tadeusz Cynkowski

Did you notice that it looks like all Skylum representatives disappeared from this forum. No new promises, no comments, just nothing, silence. Does Skylum still exist?

Mike Crosa

Agree regarding the whole DAM thing.  Going to go to ON1.

John Robinson

@Mike Morrison - thanks.

Angela Andrieux

Here is a quick update about the DAM from our CEO Alex Tsepko:

"We know that hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people are waiting for this update. But mainly because there are so many people who need this tool, we wanted to take just enough time to make everything right.

We promise we will ship the DAM this year. I know it has been a long wait, but we don’t want to ship a product that we would not use ourselves. The new Luminar (with DAM) will bring you great speed and the most incredible user experience available. Your photos will play the main role. Our software aims to get out of the way.

The update will be free for everyone who has Luminar 2018."

Stephen Valcourt

My question is, will the DAM update for current Luminar 2018 users mean that we get 2019 for free? Otherwise, the DAM could be released 2 days before the end of the year, and a short while later Luminar 2019. This would be a sure-fire way to lose customers.

Jerry Dean

Minus 1 on the millions of people waiting, I am moving on, I will not give Skylum any more of my  money.  Terrible business practices and broken promises.  Soon...soon....soon.....NOT!   I have purchased On1.

Sascha C.

This is not an update! It is a statement that says nothing newer than have been said several time before within the last month. Oh wait, there is something new: „... this year...“. Not this autumn any more.

Why your are not able to SHOW us more?
    Why you are not able to TELL us mire about it?
    Why you are not able to provide a public beta?
    Why you get not tired to postpone and postpone again?
    Why you are always repeating what have already been said several times?

WE are your Customers, not your enemies nor your competitors.

Mike Hardisty

"The update will be free for everyone who has Luminar 2018"

So is Alex saying Luminar 2018 will be updated with the DAM or that a completely new version of Luminar, i.e Luminar 2019,  with the DAM will be free to all.

Also what about compatibility with the MAC version for Windows users. That seems to have been conveniently forgotten about with all the talk about the DAM 

K.G. Wuensch

A bit delusional: „We know that hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people are waiting for this update.“ Make that a handful of ever so optimisitic leftovers, you lost a lot during the months that went from „real soon“ to „really soon now“ to „before the end of august“.

You lost me the moment you downgraded the program from running on Windows to requires a ludicrously rare OpenGL implementation and dropped the ball in the RAW conversion on Mac, fix those issues ASAP - else you‘ll run into big problems DAM or no DAM... You do know that the next version of MacOS deprecates OpenGL altogether, that means you‘ll be losing your common platform from the MacOS side really soon now...

Frank Fiorentino

@Angela

Why are you delivering a message on behalf of your CEO and why isn't he making a public statement? Acknowledging your company's mess and taking some responsibility for all the angst and frustration you have caused customers would be a good first step towards repair. Instead we get the same message spun as if delivering the DAM in 2018 is such a great thing.  In case you didn't notice, there are less than 4 months to go in 2018 and I would bet the house that nothing will be released before October.

Please sign in to leave a comment.