DAM PROGRESS

Comments

209 comments

Mike Hardisty

I've had a few moderated for being critical of Skylum

Comment actions Permalink
    Tony Collins

I suspect mine was deleted for posing a good argument as to why an upgrade should be offered to 2019. This sort of high handed forum moderation does not encourage me to remain a customer. An organisation that doesn't listen to it's customers - in fact actively censors them - is unlikely to be a good one to do business with.

Denis Kotsee

I'm sorry that this happened. We never remove posts if they adhere to the community guidelines. Unfortunately, Zendesk doesn't offer any means of checking whether any posts by a user were deleted, so I'd encourage you to re-post the comments that you say were deleted in the respective thread.

Tadeusz Cynkowski

Can we come back to the main subject, please. And the main subject is: What is going on with DAM??

Angela Andrieux

@Tadeusz - we'll be releasing some detailed info about it very soon and are anticipating its release this fall.

Andy Campbell

'info about it very soon' MEANS NOTHING !! GIVE US A DATE !

You were happy to take our money - now deliver otherwise this is looking VERY BAD for Skylum and leaving themselves open to legal action. I know that sounds strong language but you sold us Luminar under false pretenses unless you deliver !!

emiliano cavolina

"we'll be releasing some detailed info about it very soon and are anticipating its release this fall."

I bought Luminar in November 2017 with the promise of a DAM that would be released soon. On August 29 2018  you tell me that you have anticipated the release in the fall 2018 , are you kidding ??? But then you only did a fundraiser, there was nothing ready. For the future any software house will tell me "very soon" I will not buy anything anymore. I understood the same thing with a timelapse software, after 3 months still nothing, but this time I did not cheat.

emiliano cavolina

@Ashley Goble

It was written "coming soon" in November 2017 on the main page of the product, see image and in the comparison chart.

https://skylum.com/luminar/compare

Sascha Picchiantano

I guess I'll never understand why people who aren't even interested in the DAM keep participating in this thread. In the case of Ashley, he or she literally posted the same statement she just made on the first page of the comment thread. And keeps trying and trying.

Ashley, this is for you: Some of us here only bought Luminar because a DAM was promised. Do you get it now?

I myself would have never bought Luminar for any other reason. I wanted a new DAM, Skylum appeared and made big promises, big marketing campaign about the DAM, "coming really soon", yadda yadda yadda. 

So I really don't need people telling me I have no patience (like the other guy did earlier) or that they didn't even know a DAM was announced and that they bought Luminar for other reasons. You're off-topic, nobody cares. So just stop it. 

Michael Anderson

So Skylum had to delay the DAM for MacOS.....to make it work with Windows......and develop Photolemur 3?    And of course Photolemur 3 is coming ...."soon".     .https://photolemur.com/preorder3-pricing

And will the AI capabilities of Photolemur 3 be merged into Luminar and Aurora to enhance those apps plus share one DAM to bind them all......no.   

I really don't understand the decision making.    

Ron Cozby

Every time I read this thread I just can't stop thinking how does a company get away with basically lying to its base? I mean think about it. Since 2017 they have promised something and not delivered. The clearly used the upfront sales to finance their business for everything but a DAM. It is basically a Ponzi Scheme and we all fell for it. They have never really released any details about the DAM itself. They say it is a private beta test but no leaks of any kind show up. Hard to keep anything a secret in today's world, unless, of course, there is nothing to leak!

Ok maybe they have one guy in a broom closet working on something but we just don't know because they refuse to tell us. They have created this mess and they just keep stepping in it. Are we to believe that after 2 years of work that all they have to share is a 39-second video from October of 2017! Let that sink in!

If they really have something they are going to stretch this out and use it as a leverage to sell 2019. They might give us the free DAM upgrade but their goal is to raise the price of Luminar with the Dam for 2019. Which means a higher upgrade price for anyone left. Maybe they should stop and remind themselves that Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop is only 10 dollars a month. 

I filled out my recent survey with as low as numbers possible. Then after I sent it I thought why did I waste my time doing that when we all know that they don't give a crap what we think. If they did their actions would be different. See talk is cheap and once again they are proving it.

We all know where this is going to end, don't we? 

Steven Ralser

They're supposed to tell us about the DAM tomorrow,  as I remember (in August).  The also said everyone is working on the DAM - but they release a Beta of Photolemur.  How can they be doing both?  

Steven Ralser

I know I have been complaining  about the lack of the DAM, but when we bought Luminar last year did we buy it for it's processing ability or not?   Much as I would like the DAM now, I hope it will be revolutionary when it is released.  The lack of a DAM does not stop me from processing my photos (and enjoying it).  I bought Luminar for the processing ability (and the prerelease price wasn't that much), with the added bonus of a DAM in the future.  OF course I'm disappointed. The other thing to remember is that when the DAM is finally released it will be compared to the latest version of LR -and if it doesn't have the same capability everyone will start wingeing yet again. So I say we need them to make sure they do the best job possible - and hopefully we will see something soon (tomorrow?).  Stop complaint and go and process some photos (and I should listen to myself).

Ashley Goble

@ Sascha Picchiantano. Well at last someone has taken notice of my posts! Yes I'm not that bothered by the DAM and believe it or not I too have the right to write my opinion. Myself I wouldn't have brought it just on the grounds of coming soon. If you are all that bothered then all contact Skylum and ask for a refund. Having said that I'm sure you will find that you buy software by the license and you at the mercy of any company regarding updates etc. Microsoft sell you a license as well but make no guarantee it will work in a given way. I'm male by the way.

Sascha Picchiantano

@Skylum: I want my money back. Please let me know how to get a refund.

Dmytro Boyko

@Sascha - please email us at support@skylum.com, we'll let you know how to proceed with a refund.

Mike Morrison

I for one never bought Luminar because they promised a DAM, I bought it because I was tired of a subscription model, it's quick and easy to edit my photos and it works very well.   Sure I use other software when Luminar can't do something like bulk exporting with a watermark.

As for the DAM, I'll continue to use Bridge with Luminar until Skylum releases it.  I'm not going to give up on the main reason I purchased Luminar because one part is not done.

And I'm not going to start a revolt once it is released and something isn't working properly.

Ashley Goble

@ Mike Morris I think  it's a good piece of software and has the potential of being great. As for the price as us British say its as cheap as chips. LR is now a rip off unless you are a professional

K.G. Wuensch

The problem is that I bought Luminar as an addition to LR and PS - because I liked the way it handled certain things. But the newer versions have diminished in usability so much so that I haven't even used it once beyond tests in the past 6 months - because it has lost a lot of the functions I bought it for due to bugs that surfaced (many only introduced in their inept attempts at speeding things up) and lost functionality because they introduced replacements for core functionality that are worse than anything I have seen anywhere before and that includes early versions of the GIMP. All the DAM has done for me is prevent Luminar from working as critical bugs haven't been fixed! Currently Luminar IMHO  is unusable for anything that needs noise reduction, sharpening, cropping, dodge and burn, masking, brushes, layers etc...

That's why I still want Skylum to admit that they bit off more than they can chew, abandon the DAM and "let's replace Lightroom" attempt and return what they did well (some processing). But no, they will persevere with their errant plan of trying to sucker more LR subscription rejecters into their own little subscription model. Because the way they handle updates is nothing else but an enforced yearly subscription, they just don't tell you...

Sascha Claren

I bought Luminar 1.0 not because of their promises deliver a image management functionality soon, but it was one something that influenced the decision in an overall view.

But: I upgraded to Luminar 2018 only because of 2 reasons:

They promised better performance and the DAM that was not delivered for Neptune. I was about to leave  but I thought I give them a last chance because the dam could not be far away as it was already promised for the previous version.

While the performance was terrible for a long time, it is ok now. But the DAM that we will get for 2018 will be some kind of alibi release just to make us shut up. To be able to say that they delivered a DAM. Just to say they delivered what they promised, knowing that they cannot postpone it again to Luminar 2019.

Frank Fiorentino

@ashley

LR a rip-off unless you are a professional? That is the funniest thing I have read all day. Show me a better deal in software where for $10 a month you get Photoshop and Lightroom. I bet Luminar’s price increase will be close to $100 with the DAM and it will still be the same software riddled with bugs and empty promises. All these companies that market as owning the software are blowing smoke in ones face. While technically true, you own the software and all the bugs at the end of the year unless you pay again for the next version. As the saying goes, you can put lipstick on a pig.....

Ashley Goble

Frank Fiorentino Glad to brighten up your day. I paid a one off price for LR at £89 and few years back, in fact it was a Birthday gift £0 . I use LR as stand alone software and I will never have to pay for it again, not that I did in the first place LOL. Plus I don't use PS.....I'm laughing all the way to bank. I'm close to retirement so I don't need extra out goings for something I already have. In five years that would be £500, that's a nice lens or a few days out taking photos.  if you have a need for it fine and why are you even here if you LOVE Adobe so much.  Adobe are the ones laughing and they are not interested in providing software for hobbyist. hence their cloud system. Also it  helps stops piracy of their software. I don't need the Luminar DAM because I use it as a LR plugin, but the update is free anyway. I also don't care if Laminar goes up in price because I won't be buying it LOL

I guess you have money to spare but everyone's life and needs is different!

What I have works fine for me.! 

! don't know what you mean about pigs errr!

Anders Öquist

Ashley, if you honestly think that "everyone's life and needs is different" why not accept that there are alot of us that that wants a DAM in Luminar and why be berating by saying that LR is a "rip off". The same goes there the needs are different. 

There are a few software companies that will let you upgrade to the latest version free of charge. Most software companies that charge you for an update adds features to the latest version instead of the former version just to coerce you into buying the latest. That have been the practice since the dawn of software and the customers tend to upgrade their software to the latest release. So "rip off" is not necessarily a true thing regardless of being a professional or not, it is just a way to berate people that do not make the same decision as you make when you do not buy a subscription. - The money spent differs, but not in the way that calling it a "rip off" is called for. 

The only reason that I am still using LR is just because it has a DAM built in. 

Even if there are options like ON1, my choice was Luminar because I liked it more than ON1. And in addition to that choice a DAM was supposedly to be released soon, it made me buy Luminar, that is 9 months ago. That is not really "soon", is it?

Frank Fiorentino

@ashley

the pigs comment is a saying...you can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig. The correlation is that while Luminar is not a subscription, one gets roped into paying every year to have bugs addressed. L18 will get no support once L19 is out. 

Margarita Ney

Okay, so no progress announcement about the DAM in August .... this company is an absolute joke!  Scott Bourne, if I had any sort of admiration for you in the past, guess what .... now I don't.  As the President of this company, the buck stops with you.  Empty promises ... again!  Never, ever will I hand over a cent to this company again!

Ashley Goble

@ Anders Öquist  Well all you have done is reinforce my comment that everyone is different.I have never said I do not accept that others want or should indeed have the DAM but it would seem others are telling me I'm wrong in not caring if I get it or not. So there you are everyone has different needs

laughing at someone who is happy with the status quo is just rude (not you) and telling them they should not be on this thread as others have done to me is unbelievable.  

I still think the Adobe cloud is a rip off and if you search the net you will find many who agree. It's not upgrading to the latest release ,it's basically a  leasing system but they have withdrawn the right to buy it outright The withdrawn of being able to buy outright is the biggest complaint that pops up most around the net.   . Just imagine if they did that same platform with the family car, no buying just the lease option. It's about choice. I don't like paying and not owning. 

So are the folk who really need and want  the DAM the same folk who stepped away from Adobe because they were not happy with their platform ? Just asking. 

I don't disagree that nine months is a longtime if you are the one waiting.  I too tried ON1 but liked the processing  and layout in Luminar over it and still do.

Mike Morrison

Maybe I missed it, if so please tell where it is. 

I don't remember seeing anywhere that Skylum made an official announcement that the DAM was going to be released on Aug 31st.  I see a couple of people in the community mention that it might happen. 

The last official word that I'm aware of is "it was coming soon" that's not clear I admit, but not a lie either. Until you see Skylum  make an official company announcement I don't understand why everyone is so upset.

The bottom line is this, if you like the product then use it as it is and wait patiently for the DAM.  If you don't like it or Skylum then stop with the negativity, go use another product and leave the rest of us in peace.

K.G. Wuensch

@Mike, the word that was spread by the Skylum employees here was that there would be an official announcement by the end of the month (the month being august 2018)... Well, there hasn't been one.

Mike Hardisty

It's not just the DAM. There are so many features missing from the Windows version compared to the MAC that Skylum still haven't implemented. All we get are promises that we will get compatibility before the end of the year. But they are already talking about a 2019 version so what do you think the chances are that it's going to happen.

I for one find it very frustrating watching the excellent video series by Jim Nix on both Aurora and Luminar and then realising that our cut down beta version of the products just can't do some of the some things Jim describes.

Sascha Picchiantano

Mike... WT* dude...

The bottom line is this, if you like the product then use it as it is and wait patiently for the DAM.  If you don't like it or Skylum then stop with the negativity, go use another product and leave the rest of us in peace.

You are completely missing the point (just like Ashley, who doesn't seem to have a life and keeps responding to every second post here, even though he isn't even interested in the DAM - classic trolling). 

If you don't like people complaining about the DAM, just don't read this thread and leave the rest of us in peace. 

And just one more time so mayb you'll get it: Some of us have been waiting very patiently for a very long time. What you seem to miss is the fact that Skylum started advertising (!!!) for the DAM in 2016 and kept telling us since then "it's coming soon". So we've already been waiting for a very long time, and we have been upgrading to the next version. I personally already paid twice for the product and still don't have the DAM.

So if you don't mind, if you are not bothered by this, just troll some place else. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.