DAM PROGRESS

Comments

209 comments

Christophe Kajzar

Replacement for Lightroom, Adobe probably has only to laugh.

Comment actions Permalink
    Michael Anderson

It makes me wonder why lot's of people have:
    1. no patience.      

We have been waiting for over 2 years since the commitment was made by their management.

2. pretend they're more important than others (we're all the same).  

None of us are the same including identical twins.  That is a genetic fact.

3. try to force companies to promises no-one can keep.   

Their management should never make promises they can not keep.  They volunteered the commitment, it was not forced on them over 2 years ago.  

Sascha Picchiantano

@Lieven no need to get cocky here. 

1. no patience - I think it is warranted when you were brought into buying Luminar 2016, then 2017 and then 2018, for all of which the DAM was promised. I would have never bought Luminar if it wasn't for the DAM that was promised. After 2 or 3 upgrades, I think it is very reasonable to become a little upset - I already paid for this non-existent feature twice. 

2. I am not sure who you are referring to, but I haven't come across a single post in this thread where I thought the person who wrote a post thought he or she are more important than others. Maybe you are a little over-sensitive?

3. No one is forcing anyone to do anything. What you are seeing here are complaints about promises that weren't held. If it was a free product, those complaints would be unwarranted for. But we all paid money. 2 years ago. 

If you're happy with the status quo, good for you. But please don't tell others to shut up.

Christophe Kajzar

I buy Luminar only because they promised us a DAM, and nothing another. Everything that can be do with Luminar I can do with Lightroom. I don't like Adobe because of they Abo system and becouse there is no inovation more in the software.

K.G. Wuensch

@Christophe, and yet Lightroom has seen more innovation than Luminar has over the same time period. It has functioning luminance and chrominance masks, the range masking has been improved, it has improved speed and stability - and it started from a very advanced functionality point, of which Luminar hasn't achieved 10% (if you only count the working features) yet...

Peter Marxen

same here... Did someone of you got a invitation for the beta test?

Morten Erbs

As the Windows version is still not fully functional and as the DAM is not in sight (!), I decided to go for Lightroom even though I don´t like the subscription model. But I now have a software that works, and is a lot faster than Luminar.

I still hope that Luminar eventually will turn into what it was supposed to be (on Windows too), but as I don´t see that happening "soon" I had to look in other directions.

Sebastian Franke

@peter marxen
    I think there is no beta yet. sad but true :(

Frank Fiorentino

I am officially giving up on Luminar. I won't say they will never get another dime out of me but it certainly won't be for Luminar 2019. There are too many good options in software today to bank on a half baked product.

Patrick Fezer

When will you release the beta for the interested ones? 

Angela Andrieux

@Patrick - At this time we are doing a private beta only. If you've emailed us about your interest in participating, thank you! Those who have an expressed an interest in participating in beta testing will be notified if we choose to do a public beta.

Lebert Wilson-Harris

I read an article where there is going to be an increase to the price of Luminar once the DAM is released.... I hope Skylum doesn't implement this until you deliver a product that is rock solid, and exceeds everyone's expectations. If you notice they've used the DAM as marketing to keep us hooked, and the dollars rolling in from new users. When you also think about it we're in August by the time the DAM is widely available we'll be closer to 2019, so that means another upgrade fee for the 2019 version that is probably going to have minimal upgrades. Probably won't be worth the time and money.

All I can say is please don't rush it in order to beat an end of the year deadline. If you can't guarantee an exceptional user experience than just hold off until 2019. 

Steven Ralser

August is now over half over and we haven't seen anything yet.  I'd rather try the new DAM with my trip photos than use a combination of LR and RAW files in the finder - I just got a Lumix G9, but my version of LR is not supported. I've been taking RAW +Jpegs (onto different cards), and loading th jpegs in LR, to figure out which ones to edit in Luminar.  It kind of works. (i know i could also convert to dng).  Export presets would be nice in Luminar.

Ashley Goble

Lebert Wilson-Harris What article and where is it. Rumours don't help.

Dax

I came across this thread after Googling, with genuine concern, “Has Skylum gone out of business?” I’m glad to see that they haven’t — although I can’t say this “progress” update has entirely allayed my fears!

Frank Fiorentino

@Dax

I don't think they have gone out of business but they should be concerned because I don't think they can count on the same revenue stream in 2019. Photographers like their software but we have options and are not suckers.

K.G. Wuensch

@Ashkey, the article that accompanied the latest push to get new people to buy Luminar:

https://photorumors.com/2018/07/01/skylum-to-release-their-new-luminar-dam-module-in-a-few-weeks/

Ashley Goble

Dax-Roggio No they are up and running. Great software. It does state they are a small team! 

Lebert Wilson-Harris

@ashleygoble ask and you shall receive. Please don't misread what I put. Of course the DAM will be free upgrade for current owners but in the years to follow expect a price hike. https://www.techradar.com/news/skylum-to-start-over-with-a-new-digital-asset-manager-for-luminar

Sorry I do not know how to tag someone.

Ashley Goble

Lebert Wilson-Harris Thanks for the link. Everything goes up in price,it's a given ;-) . It's still better than being at the mercy of Adobe. 

K.G. Wuensch

@Ashley, I rather pay monthly for a program that works and is undergoing constant improvements than yearly for a program that doesn't work in hopes that the blatant bugs that prevent it's use today get fixed eventually.

John Robinson

https://skylum.com/blog/skylum-introduces-skylum-ai-lab-and-joins-forces-with-photolemur 

I came across this article again. Reading the article again and the recent email news from Skylum [Creativity and AI in Photography], I wonder if AI will be the big feature of the DAM which sets it apart from others?

No mention in the email of the DAM.

Andy Campbell

Crazy thing about waiting 18 months for DAM is that I have now spent a LOT of time using Photoshop and Lightroom particularly focusing on things like Luminosity Masks to the point where I now find the capabilities of the Adobe FAR EXCEEDS the capabilities of Luminar and Aurora. Whilst I, initially, thought that Luminar and Aurora were impressive waiting for DAM has given me the opportunity to learn what real professional tools can do given the time to learn them.

I now doubt that the capabilities of Skylum's DAM will come close to other professional DAM tools, in my case Lightroom, based upon the performance of Luminar/Aurora vs Photoshop.

For $9.99 a month for the Adobe Photographer CC Package(Photoshop and Lightroom) is an ABSOLUTE STEAL. I have stopped using Luminar and Aurora and I doubt whether a new to market DAM will persuade me otherwise.

Thanks, SKYLUM, for making me wait for 18 months for your promised DAM and giving me the opportunity to learn what real professional tools can do !

Mike Hardisty

I was a long term user of Photoshop and Lightroom but got sucked in by all the hype about how great Aurora and Luminar were. I should have known better. Both Windows versions of the programs are a bag of crap and have got a very long way to go before they will ever be competitors to a Lightroom/Photoshop combination and a good HDR program.

As to Adobe holding us to ransom. It's no more than Skylum are doing. I've no doubt we'll be seeing 2019 versions of both programs available in the near future.....with all the usual hype about how great they are and with added new features.

Shame they still can't deliver on the ones we were supposed to be getting for the 2018 versions or fix the problems that people are still experiencing

K.G. Wuensch

@Mike, for what it did Luminar Neptune (aka. 2017) was a nice addition to the capabilities of Photoshop - nothing more. It quickly started going downhill when resources were committed to the Windows version and I should have pulled the plug when the previous highly usable noise reduction personality was replaced with an unusable crappy blur filter which by accident also removes noise (along with any sharpness whatsoever even at lowest setting). The latter is utter crap as is the RAW conversion.

I never intended to abandon the LR subscription because I use the cloud extensively and getting to the same state with something based on Luminar would cost me quite a lot more and I'd have the hassle to make things work together when only one of the chosen components changes its workings...

Ashley Goble

I guess we all buy software for different reasons! I never knew about any DAM update and was very happy to buy Luminar as a useful plugin to my stand alone copy of Lightroom. The DAM may workout good me, who knows and I will not be crying over it if it doesn't.

Many folk walked away from Adobe when the creative cloud was forced on the public. It's fine if you are a professional but to many amateurs it's way too costly for something you may hardly use some months! I would rather put my money towards new equipment than renting software and yes I have already paid for said software in the first place!   

Adobe have loads of resources and have developed there software over many years and as users I'm sure we have all seen them mess up in the past . There are many a thread on their site complaining about something or other!

Tony Collins

Hi - are you censoring posts. I made a (perfectly polite) post a few days ago. It vanished. As has my post from yesterday asking what happened to it.

Angela Andrieux

@Tony - We do moderate every single post that is made here in the forums. However, we rarely delete posts unless they are rude and inappropriate. You can read the community guidelines here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360002269211-Community-Guidelines

Tony Collins

So as you have deleted two of my posts - one of which was almost identical to the question about deleting above, and the original a polite reasoning as to why I am prepared to try the DAM as offered, but if it doesn't meet my needs won't be paying to try 2019 on the off chance that does, and a suggestion that a free upgrade should be offered...

I'd really appreciate a reason why someone viewed those posts as violating community guidelines. On reading the guidelines, I certainly can't see why.

In fact I'd suggest if you delete a post a common courtesy would be to inform the person who posted them why.

Thanks in anticipation.

Frank Fiorentino

@Tony....I recently had a post deleted which was not in violation of the community guidelines, it was not disrespectful and plain and simple not inappropriate. In fact, it was very similar to what you describe above. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.