DAM PROGRESS

Comments

209 comments

Sven Celis

Recent blog post is not accessible:

Page not found

We’ll make sure you’re never lost again!

On topic: I was kind of hoping that the DAM would be included in the update of yesterday. Is there an ETA about the release of the DAM for the public?

Alina Skylum

We've fixed the link

Tom Pickering

Alina -

Clearly from this post, us regular users won't see anything until probably September, which is not soon as I figure it.

Fernando Ariznavarreta

So the DAM is still in pre-alpha or alpha release, as it was not submitted to regular users (selected user community) to try it.

As the beta testing lasts for several months (usually about 6 months) we cannot expect the final relase till the end of 2018 or early 2019.

Clearly skylum has spread the word about the DAM way too early, which is a mistake. I hope they have learned something from it.

Anyway I am interested in the product, I purchase it under a educational license which is quite cheap and it gives me good results as a plugin to make quick adjustments.

The main problem with that is the lack of correct color management under windows (color space and display profile), which needs an urgent fix.

I am not sure if the DAM and skylum itself will be a confident enough product/company to put all my images under their umbrella, yet.

As soon as I can beta test it I will try it and keep the catalog in parallel with Lightroom for a while

Regards

Paul Curtis

I give up!! I have been waiting for the DAM since I bought Luminar 2017 last summer.  I then bought Luminar 2018 last fall because they promised a DAM in early 2018.  it seems like they are continuously working on adding every feature EXCEPT the DAM.  The workflow is way too slow if I have to use an external DAM like Adobe Bridge.  I take hundreds of pictures at a time and need a fast way to sort and edit.  I have now completely given up on Luminar and bought On1 Photo Raw. 

Sascha Picchiantano

I am really really upset with this. Just like Paul Curtis, I have purchased Luminar for the sole reason of receiving a DAM, which was promised to be added to Luminar "soon", back when I bought Luminar 2017 last year. And just like Paul, I upgraded to L2018 because it was promised it would come early 2018. Now it looks like the DAM will hit the street end of this year or maybe even 2019. By that time we probably have to upgrade to Luminar 2019.

Way to screw over customers. 

Michael Anderson

"Skylum’s goal with its DAM is not to check off a list of “must-have” features". 

That sounds like damage control marketing speak in advance when they know the comparisons between the DAM and Lr, Bridge, C1P, On1 Raw, and others will not so favorable.    Sounds like I will not be moving off Adobe this year, or at least, not to Luminar. 

Stephen Valcourt

I agree with the other sentiments that statements such as our goal is not to check off a list of features is disturbing to me, especially from a company I am learning likes to make promises and take forever to under deliver. I received an offer from ON1 for their software for $49 and gave it a try: it may not be pretty, but it works great and they seem to listen to their customers.

K.G. Wuensch

Sorry, that

"Skylum’s goal with its DAM is not to check off a list of “must-have” features. Instead, the goal is to fundamentally rethink the purpose of a DAM to ensure Skylum isn’t merely following the footsteps of others, but carving its own path."

is pure marketing BS bingo - along the lines, we don't know what a DAM really needs to do but we'll have something that we slap the name DAM on... Sorry, a DAM is a well defined set of features. If the DAM doesn't fulfill any number of fundamental requirements, it doesn't deserve to be called a DAM!

Lieven Lema

Seems like lots of people here have no patience. When I bought Aurora en Luminar I knew there was no DAM so I invested in Photo Mechanic, these tree work well together.

There are several solutions out there, suffice to search.

John Robinson

I don't see the point of having a traditional DAM that replicates the offerings from existing purveyors; it's a crowded market that does not need another check list of 'must have' features.

I would welcome the opportunity to have a different DAM offering even if I decided it wasn't for me. Photography has changed dramatically over the years and we have adapted. Perhaps Skylum will set a new standard for DAMs. I have two wishes though:

1. Skylum's DAM is ready sooner rather than later so that we can assess its suitability rather than continuing to hang on in hope.

2. That all photographers find the DAM that suits their needs best. 

K.G. Wuensch

@John, the problem with an outlier DAM is that those targeted by Skylum's campaign to switch from Lightroom to Luminar will be completely screwed - because they usually don't want to switch because the functionality of LR doesn't suit them but rather they don't want to have a subscription. So those that bought Luminar to replace Lightroom, as was promised over and over and over again, will be confronted by a DAM that will in all likelyhood be unworkable for them (because it's different for the sake of being different)...

Sascha Picchiantano

I agree with K.G. - It's not just about replicating what others are doing, it's about getting rid of the Adobe scam. Especially now, with Adobe now having two different versions of Lightroom and moving towards cloud storage for your photos. 

Another big factor is the UI/UX. I've pretty much tried every DAM on the planet and while most of them do a pretty good job when it comes to developing RAWs, basically all of them are a nightmare when it comes to user interface, user experience, workflow and actual asset management. There was one exception to this and that was Apple's Aperture. It was very fast, very pretty (yes, for some this counts), had the best workflow ever (no switching between management and development), and had by far the best asset management capabilities. We need a new Apple Aperture - and here I was hoping Skylum could be the one. 

Sebastian Franke

Today we've got a nice but bugfixes only update for Luminar... are there any news here about the DAM feature and when it will be released? Thanks :)

John Robinson

Agree KGW. I put a comment to this effect in my draft and then deleted it from the final version. It became too lengthy. I hoped the second wish would cover it.

Regards, John

Michael Anderson

What update?   My Mac installation says my 1.3.0 is the latest.  

Angela Andrieux

@Michael - We put out a hot fix for Windows users to correct a few very specific bugs. There was no update for Mac.

Sven Celis

@KGW: I wouldn’t call Adobe a scam to be honest. A subscription based model seems fair to me since otherwise there will be less revenue for development of future products. TomTom also moved to a subscription based model for their mobile app. On the other hand, it’s too bad for people who infrequently use the software. It’s just another business model. If we compare it with Luminar, they also charge $50 for an upgrade to a higher version and guessing that this will increase since they announced a price increase due to DAM implementation. Let’s say it would cost around $70 which would be around half the price of Lightroom (+ Photoshop CC and 20GB cloud storage and website for potential customers or family to upload your photos).

Apologise me for being blunt but I think Luminar is more of a scam by promising features in the current version but only adding it to the next version for which you’ll need to upgrade.

I bought Luminar 3 weeks ago thinking that their next update would be the DAM and I could use it for my infrequent usage. The truth is that I’m now using a trial of Lightroom since editing 200 photos with Luminar is just too slow and I actually beter like the results in Lightroom than Luminar.

I now think that the price difference is too small for the usability and speed I gain. Even for my infrequent usage. And a lot more presets available for quick editing.

I would like to give Skylum the benefit of the doubt. But after Purchasing the software and going through Messages on this forums or replies on Facebook Posts, I’m not confident nor convinced they can pull it of..

Hoping to see the update very soon. Wouldn’t’ mind to become beta tester..

Angela Andrieux

@Sven - Thanks for your interest in beta testing! Please send a note to support@skylum.com and we'll add you to our interest list.

K.G. Wuensch

@Sven, I never called Adobe a scam, that was someone else.

In fact I am highly satisfied with the Adobe subscription - so much so that I really never had any interest in Luminar as a DAM.

I would gladly forgo that ill fated effort and have Luminar as a functioning plugin in LR and PS - because of the lack of basic functionality and shoddy implementation Luminar is unusable as a standalone tool for me anyway and given that all effort of the developers has been poured into the DAM I don't see any way of that being remedied anytime soon. They are incapable to add a single button saying "disable automatic noise reduction" on the RAW filter panel - just that ill conceived "we have a heuristic that detects noise and adds noise reduction if you want it or not if it does" is disqualifying Luminar as a standalone tool because I can't formulate a workflow on that basis as an inconsistent noise reduction that early in the process can't be compensated. So Luminar will become a unconventional DAM without a sound imaging engine...

Sascha Picchiantano

It's interesting how Skylum employees respond to wishes to be added to a beta test waiting list but don't spend a single word on the critics posted here. 

Michael Anderson

The critical statements are a natural response to huge delays in a product, the DAM, that was promised years ago, features that were removed and not replaced (proper masking), and poor design quality (Luminar for Windows).

The admins are wise to not respond to those remarks.  Nothing good comes from trying to correct or argue with a customer in public. 

Jub De

I give up hope on the DAM. Its all promises and nothing else. I am using DigiKam

Mark E

I look forward to seeing the results of your year long work when its ready to used.

Dax

“Skylum’s goal with its DAM is not to check off a list of ‘must-have’ features.”

What a discouraging statement! If you’re going to take an extra year to deliver a product that you’ve continually promoted as both a “Lightroom replacement” and “coming soon,” at least tell me it’s because you’re in the final stages of checking off all the must-have features!

A snarky note to your PR department:

must-have (adj.)

essential or highly desirable

I’ll be honest. It’s not so much the long delay since purchasing the software specifically for the DAM. I’m the sucker there. It’s the rare and vague updates such as this one. Are you sure you’ve actually been working on the DAM all this time? Because this reads like an email I would send if I had had months to complete a project, but I didn't actually start working on it until the night before it was due.

Michael Anderson

Spot on Dax.   Lots of attempted early spin by Skylum to lower expectations for a DAM promised 2 years ago.   Hard to get much lower expectations.   I hope when it finally released it is compatible with Mojave and not just tested on High Sierra. 

Sascha Claren

I really would like to know what Skylums definition of „soon“ is :-D

Lieven Lema

Sascha their definition will be the same as anyone else's at an undefined moment in time. 
    It makes me wonder why lot's of people have:
    1. no patience
    2. pretend they're more important than others (we're all the same)
    3. try to force companies to promises no-one can keep

K.G. Wuensch

At the moment it looks very much like - "sometime in the next 2 years, most likely in the next version for which you have to pay again"...

Even if the DAM is going to be released to the 2018 version - I don't give a hoot about the DAM (never have, Luminar isn't stable enough to provide the basis for a DAM, the functionality is too rough and buggy to be used as a foundation for a DAM which by definition must be long term stable), I would want the critical bugs like missing color management (hey Skylum, you don't even need to release the DAM if there isn't a solid, working color management on all platforms!), feature parity or OpenGL mismanagement fixed first - and that it seems isn't going to happen...

The DAM is a DOA anyway if it doesn't tick off a list of "must-have" features (like - in no particular order and incomplete - virtual copies, color managed preview, lighttable comparison function, rating, reading/writing industry standard XMP and IPTC data, geotagging, customizable EXIF display and fault tolerant multilevel search, comfortable keywording, face detection). To "rethink the purpose of a DAM" is even conceptually ludicrous! Sorry, the purpose of a DAM is well defined, it is asset management, there is NOTHING to be rethought, no leeway, else you aren't producing a DAM but something else altogether.

John Robinson

I think 'soon' is a typo. Skylum actually mean 'so on'. This allows it to continually set timeframes. I'm becoming cynical!

I've decided to fix my own 'drop dead' date; by the end of the year I want a manageable workflow of Skylum's DAM and Luminar. I'm working on my contingency plan if this doesn't happen. It will probably be Lightroom if I can get it to work on my Mac. Whilst I can't really afford to dump Skylum [time invested] and start learning something new, I can't afford not to. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.