Current Version/Release Notes for Luminar 2018 1.3.0 (Windows)

Comments

41 comments

Mike Hardisty

Very nice but we still can't

1. Use plugins. I see the MAC version has their plugin interface updated
    2. Share to sites like Flickr
    3. Top an Bottom tuning still not fixed

There's probably other things but I've lost the will to use Luminar because it's annoying that you just don't seem to be listening to anything we complain about.

I'd rather see those 3 important features sorted out than have the ability to change the canvas colour. Whoopee Doo. That's a real improvement.

Are  we ever going to get parity with the MAC version?

Comment actions Permalink
    Tom Pickering

Glad to finally see an update.  Transform tool is much improved.  It's nice to be able to rename layers and scroll through LUT files.  The white balance eyedropper is an important addition.  Thank you for these.

However, there's still a lot missing and things not working right.  Still can't duplicate layers.  The Horizontal Shift still doesn't work in the Adjustable Gradient or Top & Bottom lighting tools.  Saving presets crashes the program - an improvement on it hanging forever in the previous version, but still a major workflow killer.  We've got a ways to go folks and the year is winding down.

Guy Meacham

Thanks for the update, I haven't had much time to play with it yet but from what I can tell so far it's a big improvement. especially finally getting the WB eyedropper and it does seem faster on my Windows 10 surface. It's improved enough that I think I'll be able to start using it again as I had pretty much given up hope on it after the last update.

Re Tom's Comments:

Saving a preset works fine on my Win 10 Surface. But horizontal shift is still  broken as Tom describes.

Guy.

Terran Ambrosone

Thanks for the update to Luminar. I am having a problem with custom presets though. When I click on a custom preset, they all appear in the right panel, but are grayed out and unusable. I have to manually add the filters again. Rebuilding and saving the preset doesn't work. They are still grayed out. Am I missing something?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Terran, Can you send us a screenshot of the issue? Thanks in advance!

Jose Locatelli

After the update, Luminar does not start anymore.

Terran Ambrosone

Hi Angela, thanks, here it is. I'm on Windows 10, and my graphics card has the latest driver.  Hope it helps.

Guy Meacham

Terran Ambrosone I saw some posts on another forum where people had lost all their custom presets with this update. I don't know whats causing it but it's not universal my custom presets on my Win 7 & Win 10 machines survived in tact!

Denis Kotsee

To anyone who's having trouble launching Luminar after installing the latest update: try the solution in this post

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360015608132-Luminar-stops-running

To anyone who's having issues with presets not working: try checking for updates again, we've just released a hotfix for that.

Terran Ambrosone

Just did another update, and presets are still not working, Windows 10. I have to manually add filters each time. Before the update they were saving, but were grayed out. Now they won't even save. I know the team must be working hard to address it, but hoping it gets fixed soon.

Fernando Ariznavarreta

Working correctly for me, no crash and did not detect any new bug yet.

Many of the pitfalls seem to be there yet, but contrary to other experiences mine is not bad with the update.

Bjarne Winkler

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

If you edit a photo, but have not saved it and you then do Menu: File | Open and loads another photo. Then Luminar simple delete the photo  you have been working from its workspace without first asking if you want to save your changes!

THIS IS REAL BAD

Actually the Windows version has so many Windows issues that it should never have been released.

Bjarne Winkler

So it is Wednesday and you get an email that there is an upgrade to Luminar (including the Windows version).  You download the new 1.3.0 Build 2210.

First you start detecting that none of the bigger windows issues has been addressed - WOW so much for upgrade.

Then Friday you read that many people have had installation issue and then finally you get build 2214 (sounds to me like 2211, 2212, 2213 did not work either).

This is embarrassing, wonder if Skylum have hired a bunce of Facebook QC personnel, if sure smells like that.

So, when are we getting a real Windows version that works like the Mac version.... just asking!

Mike Hardisty

Probably never, or maybe in Luminar 2019, which of course we will have to pay to get.

Denis Kotsee

@Bjarne Winkler we'll make this happen before 2019.

Denis Kotsee

@Bjarne Winkler, as for the issue you've reported, I was able to reproduce it and passed it over to our QA team, thank you for letting us know

Bjarne Winkler

Thanks @Denis Kotsee, just remember that that there is a long, long, long list of bugs that should have been fixed way before you guys put this product (here I am talking Windows only) on the market - do you not have real users helping with your design, here I am pointing to people that spend 8 - 10 hours as professionals using a product like this where this tool is a make it or break it - like in deadlines. 

Christian Mueller

Also the "Noise when you use automatic lens correction or chromatic aberration correction" is not fixed with the new update 1.3.0.2214.

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006235912-Noise-when-I-use-lens-auto-correction 

Without a fix automatic lens correction and automatic chromatic aberration correction are not usable with Windows. 

The skylum team should definetely work on their prioritization of issues.

(Even the forum sort is buggy: sort by date of initial post and sort by date of recent activity give the same result.) 

Rob Morice

Hi,  I am having issues saving when I place masks on filters in Windows 10 Version  Luminar 2018 1.3.0.2214.  

When I have a few masks on filters and layers and I go and save the file it pops a message box up saying "Can't save document."   The file does save but when I open it up again the maskings have disappeared and does not apply to the image.    

I have attached the error dialog and the two images before save and after save and re-open.  I used a dodge filter and masked it on the Filter.  Instead of just doing the filter on a painted area, it applied it to the entire image.

Bjarne Winkler

@Christian Mueller

Here is how important we the Luminar 2018 Windows users are

"@Bjarne Winkler we'll make this happen before 2019"

Denis Kotsee

@Rob Morice could you please send us your project file?

Better email it to support@skylum.com, it will be easier to track your case this way.

Here's how you can send us the file:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the reply to this email.

Susan Wiethorn

Following...same issues I'm having.

-Susan

Marc Bail

I've noticed in the few hours that i have been using luminar is that lots of the sliders in numerous filters do little to nothing. Even zoomed to 100%. I know some of them are meant to be subtle but it reminds me of what Onone did when they rolled out Photoraw 2017. It had dam, masking, layers and all these features and filters built in designed get people to switch from photoshop and lightroom. I bought in to what they where selling and it was a disaster. Lots of dissatisfied customers weeks waiting to have emails answered buttons and sliders that looked good but did nothing. I still have it on my computer but don't use it. Will probably never buy anything from them again. Same story with Topaz labs trying to take market share from adobe with their horrible lr/photoshop wanna be program. Both companies should have stayed with what they did best making plugins to be used in other programs.  I'm willing to cut the folks at Skylum some slack for the time being because I REALLY WANT THEM TO GET THIS RIGHT. So you Skylum folks out there please listen and respond to those of us who have bought into what your selling.   I just want things to work. Rather than having tons of features that look go but do little or nothing or basically duplicate what another filter can already do give us speed, reliability, an easy to navigate interface,  tools to save us time and tools that will spark our imaginations. And yes i want parity with the mac version. Then constanly try to improve on what works and dump what doesn't. I and many others have bought in to what your selling.

Mike Hardisty

Well said and you probably mirror what a lot of Windows users are thinking. I was a satisfied ON1 user when it was just Perfect Effects and then they brought out that abortion of a RAW editor in 2017. What a mess and just like Skylum there were inconsitencies between the MAC and Windows versions. In the end I ditched them and went back to Adobe.

Topaz have gone the same route, I was a beta tester for them and couldn't believe it when they introduced Studio. I still prefer to use the plugins.

Like many Windows users I eagerly awaited Skylum's port of Aurora and Luminar to a Windows platform but I fear they are going the way that ON did with the 2017 version of their RAW Editor. I've heard good things about the new version but once bitten rwice shy as they say and so I'll never use their products again.

As to both the Skylum products. There are real differences between the Windows and MAC versions, You only have to watch  the excellent videos by Jim Nix to see this. In fact it's so disheartening seeing what Jim can do with the MAC version that it's got to the point that I no longer watch his videos because I just get more and more frustrated.

I've moaned and groaned often enough to Skylum about features hat still don't work correctly, even got myself banned from the Skylum's Aurora HDR Facebook group for pointing out some home truths. But it's no use making it faster and adding "exciting" new features, if the basics still don't work

Skylum keep saying that we Windows users will see parity but it's been almost a year since the introduction of Aurora and Luminar on the Windows platform and in common with many permanent license models I suspect that there is a "new and improved" versions of Aurora and Luminar 2019 lurking somewhere in the background.

Like Katmandoo say, we Windows users have bought into your ideas for Luminar and Aurora, we are trusting you to deliver us a quality product that has all the features of the MAC version and lives up to the hype of the launch articles way back when.

Please don't let us down.

Susan Wiethorn

I just posted on Jim Nix's FB I think he should 'try' to do his demo's on the Window's platform. Knowing he will be disappointed as we are, I bet Skylum's dev team will put more resources to fixing the bug and building out capability on the Window's platform.

Bjarne Winkler

@Susan Werhorn, I have had conversations with Skylum and they claimed that what I was saying was not working, was working.  Then they finally got quiet when I had to point out to them that you can't test Luminar Windows version issues on a Mac! 
    Skylum, should create a Luminar Windows tester group of real photographers that lives in the Windows world and then fix whatever they are reporting ASAP

Mike Hardisty

Surely that can't be true for Windows testing? But there again, there are emulators for MAC which allow you to use Windows software.

Anton Zvanut

Bingo. All we need then is a MAC emulator on Win. 😋

Bjarne Winkler

@Anton Zvanut, great idea and since the current price of Luminar 2018 have gone down to $49 we can all afford the Mac Emulator

Noting better than humor to easy the pain we all feel ;-)

Alois Kraus