Current Version/Release Notes for Luminar 2018 1.3.0 (Mac)

Comments

31 comments

Peter Marxen

What´s with the DAM?

Angela Andrieux

@Peter We're still working on the DAM and will release it later this year as a free update for all Luminar 2018 users.

Verlon Smith

How about the Loupedeck support?

Denis Kotsee

Not in this update. We're trying to work out how to adapt the hardware controls to Luminar's fluid interface.

Gil Erez

I am experiencing constant crashes when trying to apply favourite filters after the update ... 

Denis Kotsee

@Gil Erez does this happen only with your favorite filters or with all of them?

Gil Erez

@Denis - only with favourites, it takes a while to load the previews, then eventually it will freeze when selecting between some of the presets. If I force quit and go back to the individual preset groups its fine.

screenshot : http://esportsranks.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/luminar-ss.png

Denis Kotsee

Could you please send us your Mac's hardware configuration, and the screen recording of the issue?

Click on Apple logo in the top left corner of your screen, click About This Mac, and make a screenshot of the window that opens.

Here's how to record your screen on Mac:

https://support.apple.com/guide/quicktime-player/record-your-screen-qtp97b08e666/mac

Here's how you can send us the recording:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your reply.

Ian Theobald

Sent a report in as I downloaded it and since then it crashes when opening from LR

Gil Erez

@denis screenshot here: 

How to reproduce:

Open an image and edit. 

Save at least 15 presets as favourite, and open favourites on the bottom menu.

Save/close window.

Open new file.

Presets loading takes long/freezes. Repeat editing/opening window until eventual total freeze which needs a force quit of the progam. 

Denis Kotsee

Thank you for the list of steps, I'll try reproducing this on my end. I'll get back to you once I have any news.

Denis Kotsee

@Gil Erez could you please send us your custom presets folder? We'll test it on our end.

Govind Vijayakumar

I am facing a crash issue after importing photo from Lightroom and while doing editing in Luminar 1.3.0 . I have around 6GB of space in hard disk with 8 GB RAM. What would be the issue?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Govind,

Your computer specs might be an issue - but if possible, can we get some additional information from you? You can send the info requested below to support@skylum.com

First - Please send us a screenshot of your Mac info. Click on Apple Logo in the top left corner of your screen, select About This Mac > make a screenshot (Command+Shift+3) and send it to us.

Second - Can you provide us with a detailed description of the process that leads to the crash? A numbered list of steps would be the most convenient. For example: 

1. Launch Luminar.

2. Load the file named X with an extension Y.

3. Apply Z filter.

4. Set S slider to U value.

5. etc. etc.

Finally - please provide us with a crash report:

1. Open the Finder

2. Go to the Menu Bar and open the "Go" menu.

3. Select the entry: "Go to Folder..."

4. Enter the following path: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports 

5. Find the most recent files whose names start with "Luminar" and drag them into an e-mail. 

Thanks in advance!

Tero H

Hi,

the current version 1.3.0 is completely unusable in MacOS High Sierra for the Luminar's bugs, I cannot do really anything with it because of the quickly developing freezing issues, and it's freezing the whole computer. I learned from your input that you know the defect and it's been fixed already, but there's still no update available. What are your intentions on this?

- Tero

Angela Andrieux

Hi Tero,

I'm sorry you've had these issues with Luminar. For now, as a workaround, please install the previous version:

Luminar 2018 1.2.0 (4245) MAC
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1yejnmxt6f3wcq/Luminar2018_Distribution_v1_2_0_4245.zip?dl=0

In the meantime, have you already created a support ticket by contacting support@skylum.com? If not, please send us an email with the following information:

First - Please send us a screenshot of your Mac info. Click on Apple Logo in the top left corner of your screen, select About This Mac > make a screenshot (Command+Shift+3) and send it to us.

Second - Can you provide us with a detailed description of the process that leads to the crash? A numbered list of steps would be the most convenient. For example: 

1. Launch Luminar.

2. Load the file named X with an extension Y.

3. Apply Z filter.

4. Set S slider to U value.

5. etc. etc.

Finally - please provide us with a crash report:

1. Open the Finder

5. Find the most recent files whose names start with "Luminar" and drag them into an e-mail. 

Thanks in advance!

Ian Theobald

Hi Angela

I've tried everything and in the end can only work with an older version of Luminar

When a fix has been sorted will you be contacting us to let us know to download ? 

thanks

Ian

Tero H

Yes, I've submitted this issue some 1,5 months ago and I received a response stating that it's a known issue and a fix is coming. The fix would be welcomed indeed since the version 1.3.0 is unusable. Going with 1.2 for now, it was good for the 10 minutes I tested it.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Ian,

So sorry you are having this issue, too! When an update is released we will post update notes here in the forum. There should also be a notice posted in the Skylum Photography group on Facebook as well as an email notification.

Tero H

As a suggestion, this kind of bug fixes should be sorted out more often. It looks like you've been selling a badly defected product for a half an year or so now, and still with no update to fix the obvious issue that makes the product unusable. This looks more like a issue in Skylum's software development practices, individual defects in software are not such an issue if the development team can push out a new release often. The information I've received from you is that the issue in code has been fixed, but there's still no patch available. I don't get this.

Dan Parsons

Another 2 months go by without any update. I’m a new user and it crashed for me 8 times in my first day using it, on a brand new MacBook Pro with 32GB RAM. Skylum, why are you languishing? Your apathy almost gives the impression that you’re about to go out of business altogether. ????

Angela Andrieux

Hi Dan,

We have an update coming out on November 1.

As for your issues with the software crashing - do you already have an open support ticket? If not, please send the following to support@skylum.com and we'll be happy to look into the problem.

First - please send us some information about your Mac: click on Apple Logo in the top-left corner of your screen, select About This Mac > make a screenshot (Command+Shift+3) and send it to us.

Second - please send us the original sample file(s) so that we can test it on our side. If the files are too large to email you can upload the file(s) to www.WeTransfer.com & send us shared for everyone link.

Please specify which adjustments exactly have you applied.

Third - please provide us with a crash report and specify which steps preceded the crash so that we can reproduce this issue on our side:

1. Open the Finder

5. Find the most recent files whose names start with "!!!NAMEOFTHEAPP" and drag them into an e-mail. 

Thanks in advance!

Dan Parsons

What you are asking me to do will take a non-zero amount of time on my part to complete. It's stuff I shouldn't have to do. Still, I would do it anyway if I had hope that it would lead to the work-destroying crash bugs being fixed. However, given that people have been complaining about crashes for months - in this very thread - without Skylum even saying "We are tracking this particular bug, the fix will be in the next release" - leads me to believe that I would be doing this work of gathering data for you for no benefit. The fact that Skylum continues to ship v1.3.0 with months of confirmed work-destroying crash bugs is further confirmation.

Angela, I realize you're just doing your job - and I highly appreciate you dealing with an angry customer like myself. But with no direct bug acknowledgement or published fix, with Skylum continuing to ship this v1.3.0 work destroying build of Luminar 2018, it really just looks like Skylum is ignoring both you AND the customers complaining of crashes.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Dan,

I understand your frustration, and that our request takes your valuable time, but if you do decide to send the requested info, we'd greatly appreciate it.

I'll also check with our support team and see if there is a specific issue causing the crashes listed above, and if it will be rectified in the upcoming update.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Dan - A quick update: The November update will fix the crashes that occur on MacOS when switching presets.

Dan Parsons

I found yet another bug... Luminar is reloading the source image for a project, despite having an original copy inside the .lmnr file.

Steps to reproduce:

(1) In Capture One, select a variant and click "Edit With". This will create (to your specs) an image file like a PSD, then automatically open it in Luminar. (I don't think you need Capture One to reproduce this, I'm just telling you how I did it.)

(2) Make some changes in Luminar. Save your .lmnr file. Export the image back to PSD again, saving it to the same path that Capture One handed to Luminar for the source image.

So far so good.

(3) In Luminar, close the lmnr file and re-open it. Click on the base layer image. Note that it is showing the version you just exported! NOT your original base image, which is contained inside the .lmnr file! This leads to all of your filters effectively being applied twice, if you were to export at this point!

(4) For further proof, close Luminar, move your original source file elsewhere, then re-open the .lmnr file. Click on the base layer. Note that it is now showing your original source image. So simply changing the name/location of the original source file stops this "bug", but it shouldn't be re-loading the source file when it already has a copy inside the .lmnr file.

Is this a bug? Is it a known bug? Or is it expected that Luminar will ignore the base image inside the .lmnr file if the original input file still exists in its original path?

Tero H

Happy to see that the v1.3.2 is much more stable than the v1.3.0. Looks like you've done good job here!

Dan Parsons

@Angela - Did you see my post from 6 days ago that starts with "I found yet another bug..."? I just tested on Luminar 2018 v1.3.2 and the bug still exists. Is this a known issue or something we can expect to be fixed soon? If you need more details about this issue I am happy to provide.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Dan,

I did not see your post from 6 days ago - sorry about that! It may have been approved by another admin.

We will definitely need some additional information from you. Please send your PSD (as exported from Capture One) along with your .lmnr file to support@skylum.com and reference this thread.

If the files are too large to download you can use WeTransfer.com and then send us the shared download link.

We'll look into it and see what is happening. Thanks for pinging me and bringing this to our attention!

Dan Parsons

This isn't a bug that sending you source files will help reproduce because the bug is triggered by exporting any photo in Luminar back to the same TIFF/PSD/Whatever path that you originally opened in Luminar.

Clearer(I hope) bug demonstration workflow:

1. Choose any photo for this test. I'm starting with a PSD. Open that PSD in Luminar.
    2. Inside Luminar, make some obvious change, doesn't matter what change you make, just make it so the photo looks obviously very different from the original photo, as that makes this bug easier to see.
    3. Export this modified photo back to the same PSD you originally opened with Luminar. Luminar will ask if you want to overwrite, say yes.
    4. Save your .lmnr file anywhere, doesn't matter.
    5. Quit Luminar.
    6. Open Luminar and open the .lmnr file you were just editing.
    7. Notice how the photo looks very different now than it did before you quit Luminar in step 5. This is because the effects are being applied a second time, because Luminar is starting with the file you created in step 3 as its base layer - NOT the file used in step 1, which it copied inside the .lmnr file - which is what I expect it should do (am I wrong about this expectation?). To demonstrate this, clear the workspace so you have no filters applied at all. Note how the photo looks exactly like what you exported in step 3, even though it SHOULD look like the photo you opened in step 1.
    8. Quit Luminar. Delete (or rename) the PSD file you opened in Step 1. 
    9. Start Luminar again, and note that the bug demonstrated in Step 7 is no longer occurring.

I am not on Luminar's dev team, but I expect the bug is in Luminar's "Open .lmnr" code. Currently when Luminar opens a .lmnr file, it checks to see if the original PSD file exists in its original import location. If it does, it uses that file for its base layer, and it ignores the truly original .PSD file embedded inside the .lmnr file. This should not happen. What "Open .lmnr" should do is be completely indifferent to whether or not the original PSD path is still valid and use only the PSD file embedded inside the .lmnr.

Why should it do this? Because the workflow I outlined in the above steps is how people have to use Luminar when they want to use it with a program that doesn't support Luminar as a plugin (.e.g., Capture One). And that workflow dictates that the original PSD file path will, after a Luminar session, contain the final output photo - NOT the original photo. In this situation, if you want to go back and make changes to your existing Luminar project, you have to jump through hoops (temporarily moving the original PSD to a new location, make your changes, export to that new location, then move the PSD back to where your DAM expects it to be).

Please tell me if you can successfully reproduce it using the above steps, or if I'm just going crazy over here. (I've reproduced this on any PSD I open). 

Please sign in to leave a comment.