Make a video of what the DAM looks like...

Comments

10 comments

Denis Kotsee

This isn't much but you can see the speed

https://www.facebook.com/scottbourne/videos/10156451073800960/

More demos will follow.

Comment actions Permalink
    K.G. Wuensch

All that shows is speed and a truly horrible higgelty piggelty view of unordered images which I wouldn't associate with a DAM but rather with an incompently designed website.

Denis Kotsee

That's why I said that it wasn't much.

Sherwood Botsford

There are so many ways to show progress.

* Feature lists.

* Developer video demos (where they can edit out the crashes and glitches)

* Storyboard images (showing the interface in planning)

* Screenshots

* Bios of the developers.

* View access to the bug tracker.

* Blogs about the developer meetings with discussion of features.

* Interviews with the Beta Testers.

It doesn't exist folks.  Or it's one part time intern working as a developer because they are cash strapped and can't currently afford a team to do this. 

Someone figured that if they annouced this for "early 2018" they could increase sales enough to make it happen. Sales didn't increase enough, so they have several customer relations people who are deliberately kept in the dark so they can honestly say, "Real Soon Now"

I've seen companies do this before:  You promise a bunch of new stuff along with free upgrades to that new stuff to increase sales.  You run that wagon as hard as it will go.  Meanwhile the top management siphons off what they can from the company.  The workers came in all bright eyed, with stock options, and worked their buns off for only moderate wages.

Then one of the following ...

* They fold the company up.

* They sell the company to Adobe, Microsoft, or some other big company that just wants to eliminate the competitions.

* They sell the company to an outfit that has deep enough pockets do do the work.

Luminar folks:  Polish your resumes.  

Do I know that this will happen?

No. But I've been involved with software and high tech product development one way or another for 45 years.  This sort of vapour ware is never a good sign.

A vitti

@Denis 

Thanks for the video. Hope the DAM will be that fast, so I’ll have a magic wand for an headache instead of lying to my husband. 

If you have nothing in your hands, could you please stop making fun of your customers? Do you really think we are stupid? Do you really think your post answers Wuensch’s request?

@everyone else on Earth

When can we meet to promote a class action against Skylum for false advertising ?

Denis Kotsee

Making fun of customers is the last thing on earth I would want to do. I just wanted to share at least something about the DAM.

K.G. Wuensch

@Denis, what kind of joke are you pulling on your customers? Supposedly the DAM is in BETA! A beta by any definition is code that is feature complete and ready for testing by a wider group of users (either internally and in some cases even externally to the company).

So the DAM is really in an abysmal state that you can‘t even dare show a video of it - that‘s not beta state then! The only other reason not to show a decent video (not some hand held joke) would be that you fear that what you call a DAM has so ludicrous principles that they don‘t translate to a wider audience. I fear that the latter is true, given the bonkers assumptions that viewing, rating and cataloging are taking up 70% of the users time in current DAM solutions - which is so wrong, I asked my colleagues (all nature photographers with about 10-20k images to go throughin a year with maybe 1% keepers) and they all estimated the time they spent on the above tasks at at most 15% in total... More time goes to editing the selected images and about the same into preparing presentations. So your guys post on Linkedin is ludicrously overestimating the time spent on menial tasks...

Steven Ralser

Hopefully they'll release at least a beta soon.  I now have a G9 and can't view the RAW images in my version of LR. I'm going on a trip to New Zealand and Australia the beginning of August - it sure would be nice to have a DAM (or at least the beta by then).  

Can you tell us which Mac OS version is required for the DAM? - hope it's the same as for the rest of the apps.

Angela Andrieux

@Steven - It is too soon to say for sure as we are still testing different software/hardware combinations for stability and performance. Official specs will be released soon, though.

K.G. Wuensch

@Steven, even if the beta were to be released today, given the quality of the release version (with the heuristic deciding when to apply how much noise reduction without you having any say in it), would you really entrust the results of a trip like that to  beta software?

Sorry, my advice would be to pay for the subscription for a year and then reevaluate - really, the LR subscription doesn't hurt one bit, it sounds as if you weren't on the CC version of LR - the current Classic CC version is so much better than the last 6.x version the difference is huge! Then at least you have functioning software which you can rely on during your trip.

Please sign in to leave a comment.