Interesting news from Scott Bourne today on LinkedIn

Comments

5 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Michael,

Indeed it should! Thanks for sharing!

Comment actions Permalink
    Kim Austin

Thanks for sharing this.  Nice to get some news on the DAM even if from LinkedIn.

K.G. Wuensch

In this opinion piece on Linkedin he makes one big false assumption: "3. Photographers spend more time looking at, rating, and cataloging their images than they do editing them."

If the DAM is capable rating and cataloging are only minor parts of the photographers workflow. Editing takes the majority of the time, only amateurs that take too many shots of the same scene may have a cataloging problem but even that can be remedied by using a capable DAM.

He further states: "f you think about it, you DO spend more time looking at, rating, cataloging, your images than you do editing them." FALSE!

I took the liberty and took notes what I spend my time on when dealing with a new excursion (nature photography). About 10% is culling those images, then comes about 5-15% cataloging (assigning keywords, most of that time though isn't spent in the DAM but rather researching what has been photographed - species, male, female, environment, etc) and then a few minutes deciding which images survive the presentation threshold cull, a few minutes dealing with initial offline backups and the rest is spent on editing the images (those that survived the first cull) to my liking. While some may not have made it through the presentation threshold cull there often are images that show interesting behaviour and thus have a special place in my collection even if something isn't quite right and then I'll try to improve these photos so that after the edit they do become presentable - and that may take an hour or two per image because it will often involve extensive editing including compositing with other images. If I didn't have an integrated cloud solution then I would need to spend another x% of the time to get my images to sync to my mobile devices for impromptu presentations which I do quite often. Oh and then it's a second round of backups.

So with regards to my workflow he's way off the mark in his statements. And I know a lot of photographers who have similar workflows and similar time percentages spent cataloging, rating - that's simply often done in camera anyway or in the first cull done in Photo Mechanic (which has the big advantage of being able to set IPTC data) or another fast culling tool and thus for them it's about the same, cataloging or viewing the images on the main computer screen in the DAM are only taking up negligible time.

Michael Anderson

Scott's message is now on the Skylum Blog.   It is a lot of hyperbole with nothing yet to show us.   So it starts to sound like Wizard of Oz....don't look behind the curtain.      I can only guess we will not see the new Luminar release with DAM until late September.   If that does not happen, I think Skylum loses what credibility they have left after delaying the DAM for the Mac users for over a year to do a Luminar for Windows version that was a face plant that still does not have feature parity.   

Nigel Turley

I also disagree with Scott - I cull and rate a batch of images much faster than I edit them - I'm not a user of tags/keywords though so maybe that makes a difference, but perfecting an image through editing is a much more intense process for me. Having said that, I really welcome the addition of DAM to Luminar but like others on the forums I can see timescales slipping as internal beta testing has only just started - the likelihood is that it won't be out of beta and available to customers till nearer the end of the year - just in time for the (paid) upgrade to Luminar 2019!

Please sign in to leave a comment.