Support for CR3 flie extension

Comments

55 comments

Kasper Rugård Thomsen

7 months and still no support for CR3.

@Denis Kotsee: Yes we can convert to DNG, but you might as well just ask us to install Lightroom then - it's less of a hassle and to be honest if I've taken 1500 images that weighs in at 60 MB per image I'm not gonna waste a load of time converting my CR3 files to DNG - that's just silly.

I'm seriously considering changing to LR I'm afraid.

Comment actions Permalink
    Roger Staerk

Hello Luminar

I have just downloaded the brand new Luminar 3, final... 

...But unfortunately... NO CR3 Support here... Come on... So the workaround first convert the Image to DNG is not really funny... or a solution

Also Lightroom and other tools have adopted this....

I own right now a Canon EOS R... and hope for now that Skylum will support this in the very near future.... 

Thanks...

Ratul Chakraborty

Lack of EOS R Raw support is really aggravating. This should have been done on priority.

David Tillett

I have noticed that lack of CR3 support is an issue with a number of software products so I wonder how much it is just a Luminar/Aurora issue and how much it is down to Canon only releasing full details of the CR3 file format to a few selected suppliers such as Adobe? Everyone else seems to be working in the dark and trying to reverse engineer the format from actual image files.

Perhaps Skylum could indicate if this is the issue. Then if it is perhaps the pressure should move to Canon to make the specifications more widely available so that CR3 images can be processed in users' post processing software of choice.

Sean Holden

Brand new to Aurora and new to the Canon M50. Very disappointed to see that 2019 does not support CR3 files ;0( making it of little use to me ;0(

Lasse Michaelsen

So 4 month after my initial post, no news on this....I got the M50 now and I also purchased Luminar2018... But I can't stress enough how disappointing this is! I've heard that they like to keep their consumers in the dark, but this is just ridiculous!  

Patrick Spapen

Hello I'm surprised and terribly disappointed to see that Raw files from my Canon M50 are not usable on Luminar. I would have never bought the software if I had known that.

Kasper Rugård Thomsen

@Anastasia do you have an ETA on when you'll bring support for the CR3 files?

Ole Kristian Valle

The software seem to be nice but as long as CR3 isn't supported I will not buy it. Maybe you have an option to be added to a mailinglist so that we can be notified when you do support CR3

Timothy Hulme

I to am frustrated by lack of support for CR3 in Luminar and On1 Photo Raw. My processors of Choice. I convert to dng for now but always feel something is missing. Hate being tied to Adobe in any way shape or form. Just found out Adobe changed their Photography plan, 19.99 per month now if you want to use the desktop version of Lightroom. Fine with me, they won't be getting my business.

Kasper Rugård Thomsen

@Timothy Hulme at least Adobe cares a little bit about their customers and actually provide support for the cameras.

This is just a farce - the CR3 format has been out for a long time now (+6 months for the EOS R camera) and yet Skylum is still just "working" on adding support.

Does the CR3 format really differs that much from previous formats or is it because Skylum just don't care about their customers anymore?

I'm out as well - too bad I actually went and bought Luminar a while ago together with Aurora HDR, so I wasted my money. Aurora HDR doesn't work with CR3 files as well in case you were wondering.

Timothy Hulme

It’s the same for ON 1 Raw as well. Since I had Capture one I been working with it but my subscription is up soon and it’s expensive to renew it. Actually CR3 has I think been around since March of 2018.

Photomechanic 5  supports it. Don’t really consider them to be a big player in all this. Don’t understand why these software vendors without support don’t just ask for help from another third party.

Roger Staerk

hello skylum

today the expected upgrade to luminar 3.1 was released... but what a disappointment... again, no canon CR3 support...

and I asked me what is so difficult for this feature? canon is a really big part in the photo world... and many competitors supported this new CR3 format within a few weeks or months after CR3 comes to market with the M50 camera.

the fact is, that I have to decide if I should renew my adobe lightroom abo... because in middle of may this is due for the next  year

and i hoped as many weeks ago, that luminar will bring this so necessarily feature... no luck again...

so dear skylum... how long will you hold out your customers? a few weeks? a few months? it is so ridiculous & frustrating...

kind regards

roger

Markus Ullius

Still no .cr3 support. I'm very disappointed.

Aurora HDR 2019 is quite an old product now, as we move toward the end of 2020. Still no support for one of the most popular file types available. This is bad. Selling a crippled product is really bad. Not fixing a cripple product after 2 years - is unforgivable. I've done a couple of interesting things with Aurora, but not with files from my Canons. (Used a friends Sony A7R IV). I won't be buying again. Regards, a very dissatisfied customer.  

Markus Ullius

In my opinion, Skylum is neither customer oriented nor honest. 2 years ago they repeatedly asserted "our developers are working around the clock" for the support of cr3. In fact they just waited for others (LibRaw) to do their job. Did they help the LibRaw-project? I don't think so.

Meanwhile they brought Luminar 4 with cr3-support (you have to pay for it) but did not support existing customers. And Aurora HDR 2019, Photolemur, Tonality? No support at all.  As a customer I feel cheated by this company.

I switched to Capture One and I'm happy with this product - and in my opinion the quality of the results are even much better.

So I can just warn to buy any Skylum product. It's just a bad investment.

Lasse Michaelsen

EDIT:

Its just CR3 format and then C-raw for compressed...sorry..

Angela Andrieux

Hi Lasse,

CR3 support will be coming in a future update. However, I don't have a specific release date for it at this time. As for the C-raw compressed files, we encourage our users to not use compressed raw formats as they often do not work well with Luminar.

Ste Ve

i realy would like to buy Luminar 2018.. but i'am sorry to tell that i can't use it because the CR3-RAW Format ist not supported..

So now i have to buy Adobe :(  not good for you and also not good for me.. Would like to work with luminar

miraculli .

+1

any updates on cr3 support?

Angela Andrieux

@miraculli - .CR3 support will be added in a future update, but I don't have a date for the release yet. For now we suggest downloading Adobe's DNG Converter and running your .CR3 files through it. The resulting DNG files can then be opened by our software and will allow you to work on the raw file.

miraculli .

Thanks for your reply Angela,

I already tried it with Adobes DNG Converter but face some issues with correct aspect-ratios in Lumina afterwards.
    I did´nt further investigate this issue can also be as problem inbetween.

So hands up for support of (compressed) *.CR3 in Lumina 

Christian Peters

+1

the m50 is an awesome camera. I hope the Canon R will also use .CR3 so the demand would increase...

Arne Larssen

++ I have m50 and would like to be able to use the .CR3 files in Luminar 2018.

Alexander Augustin

I also agree that CR3 support might be important ... Canon will probably change all future device to use CR3 instead of CR2. I also thought about buying an M50 but hesitated, as none of my software does support ist yet.

Fernando García

I've downloaded Luminar to check if I could swith to it... But, the answer is no due to lack of support of CR3.

It's a shame... The software seems good.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Fernando,

There was no new camera support added in this update, but we'll be introducing Luminar 3 (also known as Luminar 2019) next month as a free upgrade for all Luminar 2018 users and I'm hoping we'll have some new camera support added by then.

Heath Walker

Weird that my decision to buy a $2K camera, the EOS R,  rests on a tool costing less than $100.    I hope Canon is helping developers like you!

Rodolphe EGRET

So far I'm using the workaround that makes the most sense to me (converting to DNG using the Canon tool and then importing in Luminar) but I really hope that with cataloging being implemented in the new version CR3 files will now be supported as this would really impact the workflow.

Arne Larssen

Is this to be supported in version 3? does not seem like it yet.

Please sign in to leave a comment.