Support for CR3 flie extension

Comments

49 comments

Lasse Michaelsen

EDIT:

Its just CR3 format and then C-raw for compressed...sorry..

Angela Andrieux

Hi Lasse,

CR3 support will be coming in a future update. However, I don't have a specific release date for it at this time. As for the C-raw compressed files, we encourage our users to not use compressed raw formats as they often do not work well with Luminar.

Ste Ve

i realy would like to buy Luminar 2018.. but i'am sorry to tell that i can't use it because the CR3-RAW Format ist not supported..

So now i have to buy Adobe :(  not good for you and also not good for me.. Would like to work with luminar

miraculli .

+1

any updates on cr3 support?

Angela Andrieux

@miraculli - .CR3 support will be added in a future update, but I don't have a date for the release yet. For now we suggest downloading Adobe's DNG Converter and running your .CR3 files through it. The resulting DNG files can then be opened by our software and will allow you to work on the raw file.

miraculli .

Thanks for your reply Angela,

I already tried it with Adobes DNG Converter but face some issues with correct aspect-ratios in Lumina afterwards.
    I did´nt further investigate this issue can also be as problem inbetween.

So hands up for support of (compressed) *.CR3 in Lumina 

Christian Peters

+1

the m50 is an awesome camera. I hope the Canon R will also use .CR3 so the demand would increase...

Arne Larssen

++ I have m50 and would like to be able to use the .CR3 files in Luminar 2018.

Sean Holden

Brand new to Aurora and new to the Canon M50. Very disappointed to see that 2019 does not support CR3 files ;0( making it of little use to me ;0(

Lasse Michaelsen

So 4 month after my initial post, no news on this....I got the M50 now and I also purchased Luminar2018... But I can't stress enough how disappointing this is! I've heard that they like to keep their consumers in the dark, but this is just ridiculous!  

Alexander Augustin

I also agree that CR3 support might be important ... Canon will probably change all future device to use CR3 instead of CR2. I also thought about buying an M50 but hesitated, as none of my software does support ist yet.

Fernando García

I've downloaded Luminar to check if I could swith to it... But, the answer is no due to lack of support of CR3.

It's a shame... The software seems good.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Fernando,

There was no new camera support added in this update, but we'll be introducing Luminar 3 (also known as Luminar 2019) next month as a free upgrade for all Luminar 2018 users and I'm hoping we'll have some new camera support added by then.

Heath Walker

Weird that my decision to buy a $2K camera, the EOS R,  rests on a tool costing less than $100.    I hope Canon is helping developers like you!

Rodolphe EGRET

So far I'm using the workaround that makes the most sense to me (converting to DNG using the Canon tool and then importing in Luminar) but I really hope that with cataloging being implemented in the new version CR3 files will now be supported as this would really impact the workflow.

Arne Larssen

Is this to be supported in version 3? does not seem like it yet.

Roger Staerk

Hello Luminar

I have just downloaded the brand new Luminar 3, final... 

...But unfortunately... NO CR3 Support here... Come on... So the workaround first convert the Image to DNG is not really funny... or a solution

Also Lightroom and other tools have adopted this....

I own right now a Canon EOS R... and hope for now that Skylum will support this in the very near future.... 

Thanks...

Angela Andrieux

CR3 support will be added in one of the upcoming updates. Sorry for the delay!

Jacob Yacobelli

Do You Know When They Will Support the Canon M50? 

Rodolphe EGRET

Considering the amount of issues they have to deal with since Luminar 3 was released I think CR3 support is not a top priority and may be delayed. It's true that it would be nice to have it but I'd rather be able to use the software at all.....

Clement Oh

+1 really need CR3 support. In addition to the workflow downfalls of having to use lightroom to convert the files to DNG format, I believe I'm losing a lot more information in the files 'cause the file size is half of my CR3 originals from my EOS R. Not good 😥

Ilpo

Hi Angela

Any idea when the CR3 support will be available? Downloaded your current trial version of the Luminar and it didn't recognize my EOS R CR3 files.

I am now trying to figure out what is my next RAW editing system but cannot really test your software...

Denis Kotsee

At the moment there is no date for when CR3 support is going to be implemented. I'd recommend to convert CR3s to DNGs and edit the latter in Luminar.

Ratul Chakraborty

Lack of EOS R Raw support is really aggravating. This should have been done on priority.

Kasper Rugård Thomsen

7 months and still no support for CR3.

@Denis Kotsee: Yes we can convert to DNG, but you might as well just ask us to install Lightroom then - it's less of a hassle and to be honest if I've taken 1500 images that weighs in at 60 MB per image I'm not gonna waste a load of time converting my CR3 files to DNG - that's just silly.

I'm seriously considering changing to LR I'm afraid.

Roger Staerk

good point... i'am also thinking about renew my lightroom abo... there is the CR3 support no problem...

btw... do you also recognise that the converted DNGs are much smaller then the original CR3? is this a loss of important information? if so... then we have change directly to lightroom...

Harry Nellen

Ich habe zuerst in 2018 das Luminar 2018 mit meiner neuen EOS M50 getestet, da im Handbuch (Deutsch) von Sebastian Drolshagen "Canon EOS M50 Das Handbuch zur Kamera", erschienen Dezember 2018, diese Software empfohlen wird. Die Umwandluch von CR3 in DNG bringt deutliche Verluste gegenüber der Canon DPP-Version. Ich hatte dann Anfang Januar das Luminar 3 gekauft in der Hoffnung, dass es CR3 unterstützt. Leider nein!!! Habe nun das Geld zurück erhalten und arbeite wieder mit Cnon DPP. Skylum hat offensichtlich entweder an Besitzern von EOS M50 sowie EOS R kein Interesse (ein großer Fehler!) oder bekommt den CR3-Code nicht in den Griff. Sehr enttäuschend. Bin aber noch im Forum angemeldet um neueste Informationen zu erhalten. Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt.

Ratul Chakraborty

So Z6 and Z7 raws are getting supported but not Canon?

Ethan Billigmeier

Hello,

Any updated news on CR3 file support for Luminar?  I shoot with  Canon EOS R and would like to use the Luminar software. With the release of the affordable Canon EOS RP, I think you will see a lot more people shooting with the CR3 file; now is the time to make this available for Luminar!

Thanks!

David Tillett

I have noticed that lack of CR3 support is an issue with a number of software products so I wonder how much it is just a Luminar/Aurora issue and how much it is down to Canon only releasing full details of the CR3 file format to a few selected suppliers such as Adobe? Everyone else seems to be working in the dark and trying to reverse engineer the format from actual image files.

Perhaps Skylum could indicate if this is the issue. Then if it is perhaps the pressure should move to Canon to make the specifications more widely available so that CR3 images can be processed in users' post processing software of choice.

Please sign in to leave a comment.