OpenGL 3.3 and Later is Required

Pinned Answered

Comments

72 comments

Alexandre Nakandakari

Comment actions Permalink
    Boyet Rivas

I’m requesting a refund..this is a complete failure coz my Luminar4 and Aurora HDR

that I just purchased KEEPS CHASING ON ME..REFUND

Boyet Rivas

I got one response from my complaints and I believe they are not willing to help a new costumer 

like me..I’m frustrated 

Boyet Rivas

I meant KEEPS CRASHING on me..it’s annoying knowing that I just paid $150

Margaret Bright

Hi Boyet,

Please note that our support team usually responds within 24 hours. I will personally make sure someone from our team addresses your issues and replies to you ASAP.

terry gee

Please can you explain exactly why OpenGL 3.3 or above drivers are required?  Kenneth Roache's thread here https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360037593751-Possible-workaround-for-OpenGL-3-3-problems?input_string=No%20OpenGL makes it clear that your software will run on a virtual machine even when the hardware, the real system graphics card, is below the 3.3 requirement. This is a software solution. So why have your software developers made this driver requirement problem? 

I have Intel core I5 and I7 machines with integrated HD graphics which do not support OpenGL 3.3. These machines run Photoshop, Lightroom and video editing fast and smooth, all without demanding 3.3 drivers. Why do you?

Thank you

Victoria Grace

Hi Terry,

It was a decision of our techs to create a software based on OpenGL 3.3 support to use it on PC. This is a system requirement which is set in our manual. You may check more info by following the link below:

https://manual.skylum.com/4/en/topic/technical-requirements

terry gee

Thank you for your reply, but you have not answered my question. Why have these drivers been made a requirement? Is there any benefit for the user?

Margaret Bright

Hi Terry,

As you may already know, Luminar 4 has some innovative AI features that have never yet been introduced to any other photo-editing software before. So in order to be able to support these features while maintaining the stable performance of the app, the hardware should be powerful enough.

We have made OpenGL 3.3 on Windows a requirement because it helps us bring the Mac and Windows versions to parity. Parity doesn't only mean the same features but similar performance. Optimization on Windows has its peculiarities. So, in order to implement some features that work on Mac, we have to raise the hardware bar for Windows.

terry gee

Thank you for your reply.

I don't understand your comments  "raising the Hardware bar for Windows" & "powerful enough" when Kenneth Roache's post makes it clear that Luminar 4 will run in a virtual environment on an old PC which does not have OpenGL 3.3 hardware.

You mention performance as a reason for demanding these drivers. Surely other factors such as processor speed and  cores are much more significant. Wouldn't it be more helpful to give users like myself with older, but fast PCs the chance to run this software and decide whether we find performance stable & acceptable instead of deliberately preventing use by insisting on these drivers?

Peter Blaise

Hi,

The link seems defunct as of 2020-04-26:

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/luminar2018/_old_1.1.1_Luminar_2018_Setup.exe

Is there an alternative way to try Luminar on a computer that uses OpenGL 2 only?

Thanks.

Elena Blum

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately, Luminar 2018 also requires Open GL 3.3 or later compatible Graphics Cards: 

https://skylum.com/luminar/user-manual/2018/windows/system-requirements-for-windows-os

Please sign in to leave a comment.