OpenGL 3.3 and Later is Required

Pinned Featured

Comments

36 comments

lyle johnson

Does this confirm that you have NO INTENTION of solving the openGL problem? And please don't say "we're working on this" as it's been more than two months since this problem was identified and we've heard NOTHING.

K.G. Wuensch

You do know that if you use OpenGL to display the images you need to implement any color management completely on your own before you hand over your image data to the framebuffer. That means you will lose any gains made by using OpenGL to display your images several times over and you can‘t use the frame buffer contents to save if any monitor profile is active (which it should be)... 

Luc Verlinde

No, they are not working on solving this issue. See all previous messages on this.

For everyone else : search on Google for Opengl Extensions Viewer 4.3.6 if u are not sure about which version of Opengl u have.

As indicated in one of my previous comments - which only a few people read I'm sure - I stopped using Lum quite a while ago and returned to LR 6.14.

Lum sucks as a replacement for LR, sorry. 

And we are still all of us waiting for the announced comm on the dev cycle. Sth which I also asked about months ago. I find all of this not professional at all. Been in ICT for 32 years. Never seen anything like this.

Angela Andrieux

Lyle, K.G. and Luc,

We did search for a solution, but concluded that utilizing OpenGL 3.3. was our best solution.

We need OpenGL 3.3 on Windows because it helps us bring the Mac and Windows versions to parity. Parity doesn't only mean same features but similar performance. You wouldn't want the same feature working like a charm on Mac and being painfully slow on Windows. Something just being on Windows doesn't do any good, unless it's working properly.

If the solutions listed in the original post above are not suitable (i.e. a hardware upgrade or using the older version), you can request a refund at support@skylum.com.

K.G. Wuensch

@Luc, I have used the program you mentionted to verify that my systems all support OpenGL 3.3 - and still for 3 out of 4 possible configurations Luminar doesn't work. One one it crashes the machine reproducible by taking down the OpenGL driver as reliable as Leroy Jethro Gibbs as a sniper, on two it outright doesn't work and on the final one it fries the laptop because it drives the dedicated graphics processor that one has at more power than the cooling can handle...

And as I explained above, OpenGL isn't a solution to their problems, it only makes things worse in terms of system integration. What would need to happen before the DAM is released is to have proper color management in place and ditch the OpenGL requirement. But if they do that then we will not see the promised DAM this year...

lyle johnson

I have requested a refund. 

Guy Meacham

Angela, I'm glad to see you are offering a refund simce people who purchased 2018 should have the expectation of being able to use all subsequent versions of it until the next new version release (2019?). 

This is another example of poor communication though, the original post should have been what you wrote here in your reply and it should not have been left for folks to figure out on their own. Especially as the last official word until this post was that you were looking for a fix.

K.G. Wuensch

@Angela, and how do you propose to solve your color management issue? OpenGL doesn't do color management! That's why every other company that does image editing refrains from using OpenGL (except under very restrictive circumstances now LR can utilize it - optionally and usually it becomes slower for many operations because of the need to transfer the image data back and forth). So what is a short sighted solution to a small problem (still it takes 30 seconds and a fried graphics card to open a single 20Mp image) is a dead end in my book. The one feature that must be working like a charm is consistency between both supported platforms - and since the filter pipeline on MacOS is fully color managed...

If you don't realize that color management is imperative for an image editor or DAM...

Angela Andrieux

@Guy - I agree, we should have communicated this change, and the possible solutions, more effectively.

@K.G. - Color management is a high priority for us. We are working to add new tools and improve color management with each update. If Luminar does not meet your needs you are welcome to request a refund by contacting support@skylum.com.

Luc Verlinde

@K.G. With great interest I have these past times been reading all your posts (I think...). I am in full agreement with you on all the issues you have mentioned so far.

End of last year I have been test driving the then current version of WinLum. I sent quite a few mails and posted some issues overhere. Nothing much has happened so far.

(1) Skylum communication still sucks, despite several promises to do better. Is it too much to ask for a roadmap ?

(2) As I mentioned in a previous post, they should concentrate on the current issues with WinLum AND completely bring it on a par with the Mac version. To me WinLum is completely unusable. OpenGL is a serious isse, no dual screen mode is another one. I have a quite long list of issues but do not send them any longer to Skylum support as nothing happens with them.

(3) WinLum is far too slow, on my system with quadcore i7 processor and 8 Gb of RAM and a Samsung 500 Gb SSD it takes about 22 seconds to open a 7D MII raw file. In LR 6.14 it happens in a flash.

(4) While I think the DAM is important Skylum should first fix the above mentioned issues.

(5) When I first learned about Lum for the Mac platform I was quite impressed by it. That is why I bought the Win version. What a disappointment this has been so far !

And so, I cvould go on for a long time...

I also like the posts by Sherwood Botsford. Nail on the head as well.

Regards,

Luc

Luc Verlinde

@K.G. Addendum. And I do not want a refund, I want the fully functional application that has been promised by Skylum in the past !

Luc Verlinde

Herewith the standard answer we get when sending a remark to Skylum for WinLum. "I will forward your suggestion to our developers for a further consideration." And then, we never hear of it again, disappears in the Skylum fog... 

Skylum has a VERY SERIOUS communication issue - and not only towards us users but also internally I believe, in fact, I am more and more convinced of this with everything I see (not) happening. With 32 years of experience in ICT I have rarely seen a cpy with such bad communication. OK, agreed, Adobe is not the king of communication as well.

I DO want to move from LR to WinLum ! So, Skylum, give us what you promised us ! And publish a roadmap !

Denis Kotsee

Just to make sure we're on the same page about the OpenGL 3.3 requirement - at the moment there are no plans to remove it. Those users whose computers do not support the 3.3 version of the library are eligible for a refund. Alternatively, you can upgrade your hardware (or switch to the previous version for the time being), and continue using Luminar and Aurora.

Luc Verlinde

@Denis. I personally have no issue with the OpenGL requirement, according to the app OpenGL Extensions Viewer 4.3.6 I am on version 4.4. I find it very frustrating for other people.

And anyway, u r completely ignoring the very real other issues I have mentioned in umpteen posts and emails.

K.G. Wuensch

@Luc, we are very much on the same page. I am a software developer with his fair share of experience (my first software I sold were 2d and 3d graphics routines coded in Z80 assembler for a machine with a dedicated memory bank for it's graphics card) and I haven't seen such a bad case of the support being disjunct from the developers except maybe for SAP support when it hops from time zone to time zone and the hand over takes longer than the work hours of the support team member being handed the case)... The only difference between us I think is that I never wanted nor ever will move on from the Adobe subscription - nothing Luminar can offer will make me give up on that workflow with hierarchical key words and most importantly the seamless integration with the cloud and mobile devices!

@Denis, I very much expected as much - except that I really don't understand your developers, OpenGL on Windows is a lost cause (DirectX is the way to go there - OpenGL support from the graphics card manufacturers is abysmal, unreliable and slow). Funnily on Mac it even now is being deprecated in favour of Metal. And deprecated on MacOS means that it's demise is inevitable - and to keep compatibility with new OS versions you must now avoid using that API. So to keep parity with the Mac version eventually you will have to switch to a middle layer capable of driving several backends (Metal being one, Vulcan and DirectX being the other sensible ones if you can't live without graphics card acceleration) anyway, so why not cut your losses and ditch the requirement now instead of later.

And by the way, I am well versed in programming for Windows and as long as you don't need 3D acceleration most GPU's usually are a magnitude slower than using bare bones GDI/GDI+ API callls - you just need to avoid the .NET API and go for the traditional GDI API and know what you are doing and prepare and keep the image buffer in the correct format for your graphics card. That's why Luminar has slowed down by a magnitude for me (on the only machine configuration that is able to run it) when it switched to OpenGL - and LR did so too for many operations when they introduced the option to use OpenGL because those operations are slower going through the 3D data pipeline than going through the 2D centric functions the classic GDI(+) offers...

If you finally get to an established user base (which will be hard given your constant failings in the communication area - and it doesn't help to recruit Youtube educators who all use the Mac version) you will get into bigger problems because imagine the outcry if the people that bought expensive new machines or graphics cards lose access to their DAM - then it's not only the loss of a convenience (Luminar at the moment is only a set of fun filters in a nice UI), it's the loss of access to the management of their image collection... What do you think will happen if someone with a bigger collection of images get's pushed an incompatible set of drivers - which happens on Windows 10 a lot as every bug fix release may push newer drivers (as in newer drivers certified by Microsoft, not necessarily newer or more correct drivers as released by the manufacturer)? Then you need a set of highly skilled support employees that can resolve such issues in hours or better minutes by walking these people through the hoops it takes to get a newer, not certified driver installed...

Angela Andrieux

@Luc - In regard to the other concerns you shared in this thread:

Our marketing team is working on improving communication with users. I the meantime, the support staff here in the forums and via email are doing our best to answer questions and keep you in the loop with the info we have (and are allowed to share).

We are working hard to bring the platforms to parity. Each update has been a major jump in that direction, as well as improving performance. The next Luminar update (which isn't too far out) will get us even closer to parity and bring further performance improvements.

As for features suggestions and improvements, we have a long list of user requests. Our developers watch that list constantly and are responsible for prioritizing those improvements. We don't guarantee that each feature request will be implemented, but we do take our users' requests seriously and consider each and every one.

If you have any other concerns, please let me know. I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Peter Olschewski

"The next Luminar update (which isn't too far out) will get us even closer to parity and bring further performance improvements."

How far ?  1 month ? 6 month ?  A year ?

Angela Andrieux

@Peter - The low end of that spectrum is a good bet :)

Jill Edwards

OpenGL Extensions Viewer 4.3.6

I can't find this version but did find this glview513.exe. Recent release but not sure it is the same thing.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jill - 

Can you clarify your question?

K.G. Wuensch

@Jill, yes that version will give the same information that the Skylum support wants - not that it helps much, out of 4 systems I tried (all of them supporting sufficiently high OpenGL versions) only one works albeit not without major flaws...

Luc Verlinde

@Jill - glview513.exe is the same stuff. OpenGL Extensions Viewer is merely the description in the file properties.

Diego

Me siento decepcionado, ustedes son los unicos culpables de todo esto, elevaron mucho las espectativas de los usuarios y es evidente que no estan a la altura de las circunstancias.

Creanme que este no es el camino para llegar a grandes cosas, deberan replantearse muchas cosas.

Ya solicite el reembolso

Leo Wilson

Would it be possible to have a "final" <3.3 version that doesn't ask whether we want to upgrade every time we launch it?

Denis Kotsee

This is still an ongoing issue for us, so at the moment I can't tell for sure but thank you for the suggestion, I've passed it on.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

I have OpenGL 3.3 installed (confirmed by OpenGL Extensions Viewer and Geeks3D GPU Caps Viewer) and I have only one Graphics card installed (no internal graphics in use). Everything is updated to the latest version, but I still get the "OpenGL 3.3 and later is required for this application to run" message and the programm is not starting.

What is the cause ? What can I do ?

Julia Kot

Hi Zaphod,

Please let us check your PC info. That's how to get one:

• Press the Windows logo key + R.
    • Type msinfo32 in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    • In the window that opens, make sure you have System Summary highlighted on the left.
    • Click File > Export.
    • Type the name of the file and save it somewhere where you can easily find it and send this text file to support@skylum.com or here

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Dear Julia,

I mailed the information. Thank you for your help.

Julia Kot

Unfortunately, I haven't located any info sent from za_beeblebrox@. Could you please resend the file?

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Dear Julia

I resent the file in 2 different forms / mails yesterday. Did you recieve it?

Please sign in to leave a comment.