Batch Processing - Can Aurora Emulate Photomatix ?

Comments

14 comments

Julia Kot Kot

Hi Steve,

We will consider adding such option in future.

For now, there is a bracket detection algorithm which reads the image's metadata and checks the following rules.

Rule 1

- Same file Extension

- Same Exposure Program

- Same Focal Length

Rule 2

- If the time difference between the shots is less than 4 seconds - it is a bracket

Rule 3

- If the image cannot be previewed and time difference is less than 15 seconds - it is a bracket

Rule 4

- Edges comparing

In case one of the rules is false, the image will be recognized as a single.

Also, please note that you can manually customize the bracket groups and even create new. 
    Just drag one bracket to another group. See the screenshot:

Comment actions Permalink
    Steve Mullarkey

Thanks for that.  It helps a bit.  However I tried it on a folder with mixed brackets and single images;  Aurora processed all the single images as well as the brackets.

BTW, I think an option to save the images to the original folder or, better still, a sub-folder of the original folder would be great.

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,

Steve Mullarkey 

Julia Kot Kot

Hi Steve,

Just to make sure, the radial button "HDR Brackets" is enabled when you upload your images? 

Steve Mullarkey

Hi Julia,

Yes it was. I selected "HDR Brackets".  I tested a folder containing 118 RAW image files, including 7 brackets of 5 images each.  First I ran Photomatix which produced 7 merged TIFF files.  Then I tried Aurora; it produced 76 files including many from single images.  Sorry, but I don't get Aurora's bracketing.  I like its processing and I appreciate your help but I can not get bracketing to work.

Best regards,

Steve Mullarkey 

Julia Kot Kot

we would highly appreciate if you can send us your original file so that we can test it on our side.

You can upload the file to www.WeTransfer.com & send us a shared download link.

Thank you in advance!

Steve Mullarkey

Hi Julia,

I've uploaded all the RAW files to a Dropbox folder and sent you a link in an email.

Best regards,

Steve

Julia Kot Kot

Hi Steve! on what email address have you dropped a download link?

Steve Mullarkey

Hi Julia,

I replied to the email you sent me.  I just checked it and the address is 'noreply'. I didn't want to open my files to the public. Do you have an address I could send the link to ?

Many thanks.

Best regards,

Steve

S t e v e   M u l l a r k e y

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Sydney, Australia    Tel : 02-9922-2120   Mobile : 0438-543-328    

Email: stevemul@ozemail.com.au

Angela Andrieux

Hi Steve - You can send it to support@skylum.com. Thank you!

Kevin Barber

I have been having the same problem on several different attempts at batch processing. I am using a Canon 6D shooting in raw. 

Steve Mullarkey

Hi Kevin,  I agree with you.  I think Aurora is an excellent HDR processor but the algorithm for batch processing just does not work for me.  At the end of a day's shoot I have all my images in one folder, some single shots others bracketed. I want an algorithm that selects 3, 5 or 7 images usually shot within 2 seconds and marks those as bracketed and puts them through the HDR process.  All other images should be left well alone.  I have used Photomatix for many years and found their process excellent. Aurora's batch processing IMHO is just confusing.

To be fair, Skylum support have tried to work with me to resolve the issue but unfortunately without success.

Julia Kot Kot

Hi Steve, 

Our team works around the clock to improve the Batch Processing algorithm in Aurora HDR. 

Kevin Barber

I think my shots from the drone work correctly, but when I use my Canon 6D, they don’t stack (at least when I use the CamRanger). It would be nice to be able to adjust which metadata parameters determine a stack, maybe something about the way I’m shooting HDR is disqualifying my stacks. 

Angela Andrieux

@Kevin - We will certainly take your feedback into consideration. Thank you for the suggestion!

Please sign in to leave a comment.