Luminar cannot open the Lumix G9 high resolution RAW files

Comments

14 comments

Denis Kotsee

Is your file a compressed RAW, by any chance? I tried opening it in Luminar, Mac OS Preview, and Photoshop, and neither worked. There's a good chance that when you switch to uncompressed RAWs, they will open normally in Luminar.

Comment actions Permalink
    Thierry Bruno

I just checked the camera setting for this high resolution mode: per default it is set to compressed RAW.

Is that an issue with Luminar?

Thierry Bruno

any feedback?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Thierry,

Apologies for the delayed response. Luminar has issues with some compressed formats and we do not recommend using them with Luminar.

Thierry Bruno

Hi Angela

I changed the camera settings to save the 80MP files to RAW, generating 125 mb RW2 files.

It opens fine in Aurora HDR, but not in Luminar where I get this error message.

I'm resending another file for you to do a test.https://we.tl/OTo6KLu6yi 

I was able to process this file with Aurora,but not with Luminar

Angela Andrieux

Hi Thierry - Thanks for providing a link to the raw. I'll have our tech experts take a look and see if we can find the problem.

Denis Kotsee

Luminar and Aurora use similar tech to process RAW files. There's been a known issue with some RAWs not opening, and this has been fixed in the latest update for Aurora. This fix is going to be included in the next update for Luminar which is right around the corner (we're talking 2-3 weeks).

Thierry Bruno

Doh!

As much as I love to use your products, I have to say that Skylum support experience so far is far from  great...

I posted this 13 days ago and the reply was it was related to the file being compressed etc.

Now it's another story because I identified it works with Aurora and I have to wait another 2-3 weeks...

At least I can use a workaround and first open in Aurora and use Luminar as plugin (which you do not even propose), because I own both.

This without apologies for waiting or whatsoever to compensate a client.

If Skylum really wants to be somewhere one day, you really have to do a better support job and improve on your communication.

Denis Kotsee

Sorry, Thierry, I didn't mean to offend you. Since this is a community forum, I got used to conversing more like person-to-person than support-to-customer. We had to rule out the known issue with compressed RAWs first before moving on to exploring other options - sorry I overlooked the fact that you had both Aurora and Luminar, the workaround you came up with definitely is great for the time being.

Steven Ralser

I just got a G9, and took some high res photos - wish I had seen this post first. Is there anyway to uncompress the raw files so aurora/luminar can read them.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Steven - You might want to try the Adobe DNG converter. If you convert your raw files to DNG you should have no problem opening them in Luminar.

Thierry Bruno

Hi Angela - thanks for this tip! At least someone is being helpful...

Colin Miller

Read the above with interest - I cannot open (in Luminar) my raw files eg DSCF****RAF - I have a Fuji X-T2. I don't  have the Adobe converter - can I use that without using Photoshop or Lightroom?  Colin

Angela Andrieux

Hi Colin,

The Adobe DNG converter is free and can be used without Photoshop or Lightroom.

Please sign in to leave a comment.