DAM

Comments

19 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Mirco,

I can't release any specifics quite yet, but development is coming along well and we are on target at this time to release the DAM later this year as a free update for all Luminar 2018 users. I know the wait is frustrating, but we are working hard to get it right rather than releasing it half-baked. Thanks for your patience!!

Comment actions Permalink
    Steve Adams

Angela,

Some customers need your complete product and bought based on your overly optimistic claims about when that complete product would be available. Patience is short. Vaporware is not what I paid for.

Denis Kotsee

Hi Steve,

Well, you said it - our claims were overly optimistic, and we faced a sort of a reverse effect after that. We'd love to share more information with you but who knows what might happen after we, say, tell you that the release date for the DAM is in the end of this summer. Something unexpected might come up, a major bug that we'll have to throw all our resources on fixing, thus delaying the DAM again.

We just can't afford not delivering on our promise for the second time, so that's why we remain silent for the time being, even though we know that it might cost us your trust. We'd much rather take the fall and all the repercussions that come with it, and then get up, knowing that we've learned a valuable lesson and became better, than pretend that there wasn't any fall at all by repeating the same mistake of speaking too early.

Tony Collins

And that, Denis, is a good answer, IMO the correct approach.

Underpromise - overdeliver - always the best way.

Steve Adams

Denis,

In the future, I would suggest selling the features you're READY TO DELIVER instead of bumping up sales on the promise of features that aren't ready to go. Had you done that for the DAM, nobody would be upset now because nobody would have bought your product in anticipation of being able to use a feature you weren't ready to deliver.

Verlon Smith

if something else comes up, you just update your estimates.  That's all.  Its like when you're late for your anniversary dinner and you call up that important someone to let them know that a community enforcement representative has selected you for a Fast Driving Award, and that you will be committing ~$125 to the local township general fund in appreciation for this auspicious honor (no need to bring up Defensive Driving).

So the DAM has slipped to at least the end of Summer or so (it seems)?  I guess I can stop holding my breath for that 'very soon' update. 

Andrew Hewitt

I've actually given up waiting for now, and actually ended up subscribing to Lightroom CC Photography Plan.

I'd been messing about trying different solutions, and waiting for various promises of DAMs (it's not just Skylum, others are at it too). But, for now at least, there isn't much else out there that can compete for the money.

It seems a lot to pay out, but in reality you get a lot for it. Once my year is up I may well reassess the situation with regard to Luminar, but I have learnt a lesson here, and I probably won't be paying out for any pre-release offer on Luminar 2019.

I think the sensible thing now, for a non-moneymaking photographer, is to wait it out now, and actually see what gets delivered, and how it performs.

I really want Luminar to succeed, and have a brilliant DAM, but at the moment I feel I was sold a product under false pretences - despite the fact that it is a very accomplished image editor, it's not what got me paying for the upgrade last year.

Indeed, you have sold your products on the basis of a one time lifetime licence fee and made a big thing of no subscriptions, but many of the products ceased developed and have now become 'legacy', and others, such as Aurora and Luminar, have been upgraded by stealth using the '2018' badge to denote a 'new' product.

It's something that hasn't passed my by, I just let it go for now, as the upgrade costs were reasonable, but it's not a policy that is consistent with other developers (I also have Topaz logins, and they have never charged me for any updates since I paid for my bundle many years ago).

You make some very good products, but beware of upsetting too many customers by using stealthy upgrade fee tactics.

All the best

Andy

Steve Adams

I've been using AlienSkin Exposure for a while. It's a nice program with a a decent DAM. I can do what I need to do with it. Because it allows tie-ins to external editors I can even use Luminar with it, but... because Luminar saves files in a proprietary format that Exposure doesn't recognize, non-destructive Luminar editing is not an option. Catch 22.

I was hoping for the Luminar DAM to streamline workflow. I love the modular concept, but I don't want to go through file conversion to be able to organize my photos. Multiple copies of different file formats are a pain. I've dealt with complicated long enough... I'm now looking for simplicity.

I thought Skylum would deliver. Though I'd love to be proven wrong, it seems like that isn't the case.

Denis Kotsee

Don't give up on us just yet, we'll deliver soon.

Steve Adams

Déjà vu.

As Tony Collins stated...

Underpromise - overdeliver.

Joerg Knoerchen

Hope we will find an import tool from Lightroom to Luminar on the DAM portion. I mean especially keywords and ratings etc.

As well I hope to see GPS coordinate support as well as faces.

Verlon Smith

Well Aurora got the loupedeck update today. Hopefully that means Lumimar is really soon. I have some time off that will result in a large number of photos. An impressive showing by Luminar could convince me to purchase Aurora also.

Michael Anderson

Who wanted loupe deck for Aurora?   For that matter who uses it with Lr?

At least Skylum does. not have to worry about an Affinity Photo DAM any time soon.  

From one their admins when asked about the DAM mentioned by the admin back in 2016:

Hi Manoj7,
    Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
    No updates here. There's other projects being worked on that will come first: Affinity Designer for iPad, Affinity Publisher and next betas/updates to Affinity Designer and Photo for desktop (1.7).

Verlon Smith

I wanted Loupdeck support.  I love those kinds of tools as opposed to dragging sliders around.  I guess we all have different workflows and habits, and it can be difficult to please most of the people most of the time.

K.G. Wuensch

I don‘t want Loupedeck, I‘d want generic Midi controller support - because then I may be using my existing, well customized Behringer x-touch mini with it‘s many encoders- as I do with Midi2LR. Ever since I started using that inexpensive device editing has been so much more enjoyable because you don‘t have to look at the mouse cursor when doing changes, instead you turn a knob and can see the effect take on your image. So having that kind of support is very much needed, except that the Loupedeck is locked in for the controls available in LR many of which aren‘t available in Luminar at all (like the color range sliders in the HSL panel of LR). So while having support for it may sound great, the fit will not be that good...

Peter Marxen

I'm sorry guys, but fixing problems will never need so much tieme... where are you standing with your project?

Verlon Smith

K.G. I’m not sure what you mean. Rich Harrington did a video showing the use of HSL sliders in Aurora.
    As far as it goes, I thought the xtouch series was customizable so it could work with multiple DAWs. Can you match it to the features you want from Loupedeck Aurora? While that isn’t as helpful as being able to map any feature to any control, it does save you the purchase of other hardware.

K.G. Wuensch

Aurora is a piece of software I have no interest in whatsoever!  I don‘t do HDR and will not do so ever. Luminar already has much too much tendency to create HDRish results to begin with! What I“m looking for is to have the ability to map often used sliders (detail, noise refuction - if it ever becomes usable again in Luminar, the current noise reduction is totally useless, white balance color temperature, etc) to the encoders on the x-touch midi controller. 

Michael Anderson

We used to have zone based luminosity masking in Aurora.  At least with that you could use noise reduction of specific zones within a area of the image.   The lack of luminosity and color range masking put both current Luminar and Aurora way behind Lightroom, Photo RAW, Pictorial, and many other editors.   

And if the much promised DAM ever arrives, no word yet when Aurora and Luminar will catch up with the basics in Lightroom and others.    

Please sign in to leave a comment.