Remove Barrel Fisheye Effect For Perfect Aerial Photos

Comments

11 comments

Julia Kot Kot

Hi Thierry,

We would highly appreciate if you can send us your original file so that we can test it on our side.

You can upload the file to www.WeTransfer.com & send us a shared download link.

Also, please specify what Luminar version you use - Mac or Windows?

Comment actions Permalink
    Thierry Bruno

Hi Julia

Here's a link to an example of DNG file from my drone.

https://we.tl/u6NirdWyhi

I'm using a Mac.

Thanks

Julia Kot Kot

Thanks, Thierry!

The file you sent is a compressed .JPG. It's better to fix the distortion on the RAW file, as you will be able to use the advanced auto-correction tools in RAW Develop filter.  

Also, could you please provide us with the results you get with other programs you are referring to? If you use, for example, Adobe Lightroom for lens correction, it will resolve the distortion by cropping an image. Please see the screenshot: http://prntscr.com/ju2s5l 

Thierry Bruno

Hi Julia

I believe what I sent was a DNG file... 

Anyway the point is not about the file format but about a filter to correct fisheye distortion...

Angela Andrieux

Hi Thierry,

May I ask why you would prefer a filter for fisheye distortion correction over using the lens correction tool in the RAW Develop filter?

Thierry Bruno

Hi Angela

Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post: the RAW develop filter which I've used on the DNG file is only slightly correcting fisheye. The RAW develop distortion correction works fine on wide angle shots, but is insufficient for fisheye correction typical of camera onboard drones (e.g. Parrot Bebop2). 

Hence my suggestion/request to add a filter (as those do exist outside of Luminar) specifically for aerial fisheye.

Maybe as a future plugin?

Denis Kotsee

Thanks for expanding on your question. It's true that for extreme distortion you might find Aurora's and Luminar's tools insufficient. At the moment I can't tell whether or not we're going to add a feature (or expand the existing one) for correcting more extreme types of distortion but that's definitely a solid feature request.

Espen Braathen

This should be combined with future Gopro RAW support as this has fisheye distortion as well (LINEAR view on GoPro only works with JPGs).

Andrew Henwood

Hi Angela

+1 on this feature request! 

I've actually been playing with a .jpg from GoPro Hero 5 camera and using the Develop -> Lens -> Lens Distortion setting. 

I found that if you could extend beyond 100 to say 150 / 200 then you would completely remove the "fisheye" / wide-angle distortion. Happy to provide the raw .jpg to illustrate.

Also, here's an article confirming this **IS** possible on Lightroom & Photoshop but as I've invested in Luminar these aren't an option for me. https://havecamerawilltravel.com/gopro/remove-fisheye-gopro-photos/

Could you confirm if this has been logged as a feature request?

Thanks
    A

Justin Halpin

I love skylum I own both Luminar & Aurora. I also find the amount of lens correction inadequate when working with photos from my DJI Phantom 4 Pro. I have to move the slider all the way to 100 save the file. Then re-open it and adjust the slider accordingly, sometimes to the 60 range.  A drop down tool that allowed you to select the lense and have the program auto correct the distortion based on the lens selected would be awesome and then maybe a slider you could tweak what was applied? 

Kirk Osborn

Auto Lens Correction is available for RAW files only. You can find it under 'RAW Develop' filter.

Please note, that Luminar doesn't support RAW files from drones.

Please sign in to leave a comment.