How to empty Luminar AI cache on Windows

Answered

Comments

7 comments

Agatha Winter

Hi Fran,

Please note that the CacheDocuments folder stores your edits and ratings. Deleting this folder will not affect the final photo documents you have exported from Luminar in any negative way. However, if you delete it, you may lose your edits, therefore, I would recommend you refrain from deleting them. Luminar Cache is cleared and updated automatically. 

The PreviewCache folder contains the previews of the images you have in your library.  Please note that that the Preview Cache has a certain limit that cannot be exceeded. Once it's reached, the older previews will get automatically removed and replaced by the fresher ones. 

Hope it answers your question.

Comment actions Permalink
    Fran Woods

Well, it answers my question a bit. What is the limit on the Preview Cache? There is no way to set that with Preferences, which I would expect to be the case.

How often is the Luminar Cache cleared and updated?

Thanks for any clarification you can give.

Fran

Kate Williams

Hi Fran,

The size limit is approximately 1 GB. The cache is updated both in real-time (when you're uploading/editing images) and when the application is restarted. Old entries are deleted only after the allocated cache space runs out, and they're replaced by the newer previews. 

Syed Siraj

Hi Kate, I have a quick question related to this topic. Does the real-time cache update feature have a performance impact while editing in Luminar AI? And can there be an option to turn it off so that it only performs this task on software startup? 

Kate Williams

Hi Syed,

There's no option to turn it off. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to see the edits properly or the new images when you're importing them to the catalog. 

The previews of those images that aren't edited during the current session and are already added to the Catalog are rendered for the part of the gallery that you're currently viewing + a couple of the screens above and below. When you scroll up/down the catalog tab, the thumbnails for the images at the bottom/top of the catalog will show up. 

For this reason, the total number of images in the Catalog plays a crucial role in the performance. We recommend dividing big galleries between several catalogs containing fewer images. 

At the same time, of course, we'll keep looking for more ways to make Luminar handle this process smoother. 

Kimberly Hamers

Kate Williams

"Old entries are deleted only after the allocated cache space runs out, and they're replaced by the newer previews." This is a major flaw. I have a catalogue with only 135 photos, the cache is over 2 GB. (Only 20 photo's or so are edited.) There used to be more photos in this catalogue, and their edits remain in cache.

The folder with the native photo's is 2,75GB.

There should be a tool to optimize catalogues so unused edits can be deleted. Let's hope Luminar Neo has this tool. This isn't a fancy feature, but a necessary tool.

Anastasiia Moore

Hi Kimberly Hamers!
    Could you please clarify the size and the format of the photos you're working with?
    I'll forward your request to our devs regarding implementing the tool that will optimize the Catalog as you described. Hopefully, it will be released in the next updates.

Please sign in to leave a comment.