Luminar AI Stopped Exporting Changes Back Into Lightroom

Answered

Comments

23 comments

• Official comment
    Margaret Bright

Hi Luis,

Please try to access Luminarᴬᴵ from Adobe Lightroom this way:

• Right-click on the image > Export > Export to LuminarAI Open Source Files or, if you've made any changes in Lightroom that you'd like to transfer over to Luminarᴬᴵ, you can also choose Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments.

Please note that when you invoke Luminar as a plugin, LR takes off the focus of the folder from which you took the photo to send to Luminar. When you hit Apply in Luminar, and your image gets put into the folder on your HDD, the only thing you need to do in order to make the image appear in LR is to click the folder where your photo was: LR will re-focus on the folder and pull the files that are currently in it.

Alternatively, you can check All Photographs (the left panel). 

Comment actions Permalink
    Michael Allie

HOORAY and thanks to Margaret!  I was having the same problem, and it worked before, but suddenly quit working.  Sure enough, clicking on the folder worked.  Bizarre that we need to do that and I hope Skylum can fix that, but it is a simple workaround.  Thanks SOOO much!!

WARWICK ATKINSON

I am having the same problem as stated above. The photos do not reappear in LRC minus the changes made. I tried twice.

They are in my photos home folder, without the changes.

The photos are not in Luminar AI under all photos.

Kate Williams

Hi Warwick,

Have you tried the suggestion of my colleague Margaret in the pinned post (above)? 

If it didn't work for you, please contact us at https://skylum.com/support so we could look into it for you. 

WARWICK ATKINSON

Yes, this works but why won't the old way work. 

Mark Condon

I don't even have an 'Apply' button! How can I apply the Luminar AI changes to my Lr photo?

Kate Williams

Hi Mark,

Please try the following steps:

1. Quit all Skylum apps.
    2. Launch Lightroom.
    3. Click Lightroom in the upper left corner of your screen > Preferences > External Editing.
    4. In the Additional External Editor section, set Preset to Custom and Application to Not Specified.
      See the screenshot: https://prntscr.com/1fl596d
    5. Restart Lightroom and see if Skylum apps work as plugins normally.

You may also want to try invoking the plugin in the way Margaret has outlined above (in the pinned post). The Export button is bound to appear. 

Mark Condon

Thanks Kate but when I do that, the Luminar AI option is now not available in the Edit In menu (because of step 4 in your guidelines). So, how would I select it in order to continue the edit in LAI?

Elena O'Brien

HiMark Condon,

Please try accessing Lightroom the recommended way:

• Right-click on the image > Export > Export to LuminarAI Open Source Files or, if you've made any changes in Lightroom that you'd like to transfer over to Luminarᴬᴵ, you can also choose Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments.

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Condon

Thanks Elena, but we're going around in circles here - I already know how to open the Lr file in LAI - my issue is that when the file is open in LAI and I make my adjustments, there's no APPLY button to apply the edits and return to Lr.

Michael Allie

Mark,

I found a simple little thing that seems to address this.  Let’s say you are in the “light” panel and you adjust exposure, highlights, shadows, etc.  Then. You are done but there is no “apply” button.  If you then click on another section, let’s say erase, then the “apply” button shows up.  It seems as if you have to click on something other than where you just made a change.  Try it!  It works for me.

Mark Condon

Kate Williams Elena O'Brien Michael Allie
    Thanks for trying to help but none of your advice has worked. I've even tried updating to the latest release.

See this short video of my issue (there's no sound)

https://www.loom.com/share/8920896ffd694873805a70af12434b56

Any ideas how to get the APPLY button to show so I can return to my Lightroom edit?

Also, does it always take so long to open images in LAI from Lightroom? I'm running a powerful M1 Macbook and it's still painfully slow.

Margaret Bright

Hi Mark,

Could you please get in touch with our support team at https://skylum.com/support? They will take a deeper look at this issue for you and help you get this sorted out.

Maria Evans

Since this post got hijacked by another issue, I'm having the same issue as Luis, and that issue needs to be resolved. It's a very clunky solution to have to move from the Lightroom Edit tab to the Library tab, find my folder, click on that, move BACK to the Edit tab. I'm finding this software integration very slow and clunky, unlike the integration with the Topaz AI software into Lightroom.

Kate Williams

Hi Member,

After you click on the Apply button, try to zoom the photo in/out in Lightroom. In our case, the changes got reflected. You may also want to ensure that you're invoking the plugin in the above-mentioned way (via Export).

There's a special task dedicated to this issue and our techs are looking into it right now. If there's any news, we'll let you know. 

Aurora Anderson

Has this ever been resolved by Skylum??? I agree with Maria above. It is a terrible clunky solution to work around and find the folder, etc....when it used to work seamlessly before. What has changed with Luminar AI plugin and Lightroom? 

Katherine Nelson

Hi Aurora Anderson,

Please note that the steps with clicking the folder are optional. Alternatively, you can check All Photographs (the left panel).

Pat Antliff

I am having the same issue..... from Lightroom - Edit in Luminar AI with lightroom adjustments..... make changes in Luminar and press APPLY - sometimes the exporting bar appears and changes are applied and then I am put back into Lightroom.  Other times I click APPLY and am directly back in lightroom and no changes from Luminar are applied but I now have yet another copy of my photo.  

I did try and follow Maria's steps...... I do not understand what is meant by 'click on the folder' - I went to the folder with my photos and 'clicked' on it - opened and closed it in Lightroom - no difference.  This is very frustrating. 

Tania Taylor

Hi! Please note that we recommend invoking the Luminar AI plugin in LR in the following way:

• Right-click on the image > Export (not Edit in) > Export to LuminarAI Open Source Files or, if you've made any changes in Lightroom that you'd like to transfer over to Luminarᴬᴵ, you can also choose Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments.

After you process an image and click Apply, your photo should appear in Lightroom's Catalog > All Photographs.

Kolby H

Not to necro a thread, but this is still a problem (7 months later) when choosing the "Edit in" option and retrieving changes from Luminar back to LR. Seems to work okay by exporting.

Helena Carter

Hi Kolby H,

Please, note that Edit In is not a documented functionality, therefore, we recommend using Right-click>Export option only.

Tamás Renner
    • Right-click on the image > Export (not Edit in) > Export to LuminarAI Open Source Files or, if you've made any changes in Lightroom that you'd like to transfer over to Luminarᴬᴵ, you can also choose Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments.

Its a great alternative method, but how can I change the resolution from 240 to 300 pixel per inch? Because its important to me and it was not problem in original method by "Edit in...". I can set what I want. But in this alternative method (Export...) the resolution is 240 and I can not change it.

So so sad, the Edit in method is not working and why not? Why not possible solve it?

Kate Williams

Hi Tamás,

You can change this parameter in Lightroom's export window. In Lightroom, click File > Export > Export to: Hard drive > scroll down to the Image Sizing section and select the necessary resolution. 

Just a reminder that resolution is essential only when printing, and it doesn't affect the digital image quality.

Please sign in to leave a comment.