Luminar AI Update 3 — Greater Control & Compatibility

Pinned Featured

Comments

33 comments

• Official comment
    Alina Skylum

Hello everyone,

Our team wants to apologize for the confusion caused by the latest 1.3.0 update. We created a separate post on how to update to M1 compatible version. Please, check it out below:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360010786520-How-to-download-LuminarAI-1-3-0-M1-compatible-version 

In case you have any questions, please, never hesitate to contact us via https://skylum.com/support. We are always open for dialog. Thank you!

Comment actions Permalink
    Ryan Smith

When I launch update 3 it still says it's an Intel app in the Activity Monitor and the Photoshop for arm filter is still not available.  So what is going on with the M1 support?

"native M1 support in Update 3" == universal binary?
    It seems that it is still running with Rosetta2

I see the same as the previous comments, it is still an app under Rossetta 2. 

Chintan Joshi

I was confused about the M1 update for native support. But When I looked carefully by checking for updates in app there is a link just for M1 app. I downloaded that and ran the installer instead of updating from the app itself. And now my app is recognized as Apple Silicon instead of Intel.

Could have been better update experience if I could just update directly from the app. Good that I read and noticed the link in the update window but like other users have commented here, they must have missed this part. 

I am not yet blown away by performance improvement of the app though!!!

Stefan Hebestreit

I recommend not to use the Update 3 !!!!

After installing on my MacBook Pro M1 the system was slow as f***.

Activities found a kernel task writing 730 GB !!!!!!!!! to disk. 

i rebooted the system and everything was fine again. activity monitor said nothing spectacular for 20 minutes.

started Luminar AI (Update 3) again und voila ... system is slow again, kernel task again writes 30 GB in just 1 minute... 

by the way, pics in the catalog (186 pictures) are loading slow (preview not sharp, sharp only when clicking and waiting for about 30 seconds. some pictures are black until you select "show in finder")

after writing that post activity monitor now says "Luminar AI not reacting" (Ram usage 5,81 GB) and SWAP is 37 GB :/ :/ :/ just from starting the App. 

Well done Skylum! 

edit: 19 Pictures stay black/blank. there is no hint that the shortcut is corrupted. "Show in finder" and nothing happens. tried to find them on disk... the DNGs are gone :/ 

tried to put one file into trash and delete it from there. Luminar AI says not possible, because the file is not existing. Good morning, that is what I found out myself. the second time installing an update and loosing files.

Austin Miller

Hello Ryan. Would you be so kind as to specify if you are using the version purchased from our website or from the AppStore?

Hello Stefan. We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience you have. Could you please try reinstalling Luminar AI? We recommend doing a full uninstall with AppCleaner. AppCleaner is a free app that automatically removes not only applications but also the related files, making 'clean' uninstall easy.

Let us know how it worked.

Stefan Hebestreit

Austin Miller:

Done. First start was a bit slow but for now Luminar AI seems to run "normal" without writing much Data.

One problem left. the 19 pictures are still black but without sign of a corrupted shortcut. the original files can't be found via "show in finder" as the files are deleted from my NAS. they are gone. 

I have edited JPEG so it is not a "hard" thing. But now I still can't delete them. When moving to trash, the trash can not be deleted, as Luminar AI says the files do not exist. Seems like a corrupted database inside Luminar AI?!?

Thomas Nick
    I don't notice any increased speed here on my macBook Pro (15 "/ Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / 16GB / macOS Big Sur 11.4) - Luminar AI Update 3 Version 1.3.0 (9155) seems to me its "tougher" and slower than the previous version now. Masking is still extremely tough and etching is only going on at a snail's pace - no longer usable for productive work.
    Maybe Skylum should just remember that Luminar is a software for "photo editing" and not just a "I'll quickly swap my sky" program. Somehow the development priorities have shifted a bit badly in the last few years. What a pity.

Ryan Smith

I followed the AppCleaner instructions and restarted and reinstalled.  Same results. It's still running as an Intel Rosetta application and there is nothing in the Photoshop M1 version filter or plugin menus.  With the comments I have a feeling no one has actually got this working so far. 

The M1 version is running fine, but I'm still running into issues where my canon R5 raws look unusable and unsalvageable upon import. Is there any update when the canon R5 raw errors will be addressed? 

Ryan Smith

Can you tell us where you got the M1 version? I'm not given that option when I try to download the software.  Perhaps you could post a link. 

I can't post the specific link (because I don't have access to it anymore), but when the update dialog popped up, there was a notice saying if you're running an M1 to click on "this link". It was not an intuitive way to address this update for M1 at all. 

Ryan Smith

Yes I've tried multiple times and I'm not given this option. That is probably why it's not working for me. Support is no help they just say uninstall and reinstall.  It could be as simple as not being offered the correct version, they probably just need to fix a bug.

Juan Rhodes

I've uninstalled manually and using app cleaner and each time it still shows as Intel. Is there another link for downloading the Apple silicon version?

you’re not kidding. i was hoping this update would address the R5 raw issue, but to no avail. a camera that is listed as supported on their list of supported cameras.

Ryan Smith

I think we will just have to wait until a higher tier of support realizes there is an actual issue.

Juan Rhodes

I uninstalled from my M1 MBP and copied the Luminar app from my iMac and ran check for updates. Here's the link to the M1 version.

http://skylum.com/download/luminar-ai-m1

Juan Rhodes

I feel the same. Kinda dumb that I had to go through all of that because the link is only provided once. It should be in the downloads area, or otherwise easily accessible. 

Juan Rhodes

Also, my guess is support is outsourced and haven't been made aware of the different installers yet.

They’ve outsourced tech support to users at this point, via this forum.

Ryan Smith

Actually now that I look more closely at the tech support reply, they actually did provide me a link to the M1 version. I just went to the website and downloaded it again instead of clicking their link, which does not provide the M1 version link. I just assumed it was the same because other Mac apps like Photoshop just have a single version.  They didn't really say in the email it was a link to a special M1 version so I didn't catch it at first, so kind of my fault too.

Maurie Hill

Thank God I resisted AI and stayed with Lum 4.3

when you guys get AI sorted, let me know and I’ll move up 🥲

Somebody have problems with the upgrade 3 with Photos App extension Intel version? like me =(

Adrienne Collier

You're making progress. Get the BokehAI done, add batch processing capability and Photolemur as a plug-in, and we just might have something!

Kate Williams

Hi guys!

Thanks for taking the time to try out Update 3 and share your experience here. 

wil002, indeed, the issue with Canon EOS R5 files is still in the works due to its rather complex nature. We expect it to get resolved in the next updates.  After the fix is 100% complete, we'll test a large set of photos to ensure that they are rendered without a hitch. Meanwhile, please convert your .CR3 files to DNG using Adobe DNG Converter. 

Member, let's check the issue you're experiencing with the Apple Photos extension; please contact us at  https://skylum.com/support so we could look into it for you. 

Adrienne

Thanks for the suggestions! Let me provide you with the status of each of them: 

The Bokeh AI tool is ready, but it's being refined in our labs right now, and we plan to include it in the following update.  I hope it will be worth the wait :) 

Batch-processing isn't coming back to Luminar AI. We suggest syncing or copying&pasting adjustments instead: https://manual.skylum.com/ai/en/topic/syncing-adjustments

In our other applications, third-party plug-ins are supported and send back the processed image as a new layer. One of the changes in LuminarAI is the switch from layers to a Local Adjustments tool and smart segmentation of our AI-powered tools. This is why there will be no third-party plugin support in LuminarAI. However, we may look into a way of invoking third-party plugins without generating layers in future releases. 
    Meanwhile, Luminar AI has the Enhance AI tool that does a great job similar to Photolemur. You can achieve the same or better results using Luminar AI alone. 

Nigel Hatton

Luminar AI update 3 was working fine as a Lightroom plug in, but now when I go into Luminar AI to replace the sky and other adjustments, then click apply to go back to Lightroom the adjustments are not there all I'm left with is the original Lightroom adjustment, can any one help.  

Margaret Bright

Hi Nigel,

Please try to access Luminarᴬᴵ from Adobe Lightroom this way:

• Right-click on the image > Export > Export to LuminarAI Open Source Files or, if you've made any changes in Lightroom that you'd like to transfer over to Luminarᴬᴵ, you can also choose Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments.
    Nigel Hatton

Hi Margaret

Thank you for your quick response, I've used the export to Luminar way and yes it did work, it went back into Lightroom with the Luminar changes. This is my work flow now and it works so well for me.

My Luminar AI (1.3.0) incorrectly displays the date 12 hours apart in the information field for some images. It seems that UTC (coordinated universal time) is not considered.

Please sign in to leave a comment.