Street light issue

Answered

Comments

8 comments

Elena O'Brien

Hi William,

The issue is the lamp is because it appears to be too bright that it blends into the sky. Please try using the Light tool to bring down the brightness. When the image is not overexposed, the software should detect the sky as usual.

Comment actions Permalink
    William Sapsed

Sadly it doesn't want to play ball. I have made it as dark as possible and it has not picked it out. I have also tried to use the mask in various different ways before this and the light remains brilliant white so not sure if there is much more I can do other than copy one of the other lamps in the background and try pasting it over the top. Thank you for your help though as it was worth a go. I have also realised that the same thing happens to the second light back as well. After copying and pasting the middle lap the same issue has occured. I'm going to chalck this up as a learning curve to make sure I get the lighting better on taking photo's in the first place.

Helga Rowles

Hi William,

Another thing worth trying is erasing the sky that covers the lamps. To do this, select the Brush icon in the Sky AI tool menu and click the Erase button:

Adjust the size and softness of the brush and erase the sky that covers the lamps.
    I hope this helps!

William Sapsed

I did give that a try and the only issue I found was that the lamp was too bright and stuck out enugh to make it look unreal. Probably due to the brightness of the day. The only thing I was trying to work out is if I can edit the lamp so that it can be dulled down via Luminar or not. If not then I can have a play around using Gimp and seeing how "nautural" I can make it look after playing around that way. Just a little disapointed if it isn't possible to do via the one app but at least I have a rough idea on how I can do it on there. Thanks for the advice :-)

Robert Grenader

There's only so much you can do with an image when the highlights are overexposed.  

William Sapsed

Sadly I think you might be right. As a reasonably new person to using a proper dslr camera I know I am just going to have to learn by my mistakes but that is part of the fun. Thank you all for your help though it is appreciated.

Robert Grenader

I do not know what system you use, but if you can, consider bracketing your shots and doing an HDR merge in an application like Lightroom.  I use a Fuji X-T30 for street shots and traveling and do  2 image +- 2 stop series, and merge in post.  Then into Luminar AI for finishing.

Here's another trick when you are starting out:  Put your camera in "P" mode, see what exposure settings are recommended, then transfer them to "M" mode and adjust.

William Sapsed

I am using a Nikon D3200 camera. I am trying to get used to the mannual modes rather than using the automatic but I am a slow learner at times and its hard to see anything on the smaller sized screen. Those are two good ideas. I can definetly try the second idea as I know where those settings are and will have a play around with the first sugestion and see how i go. Again very grateful to everyone with their suggestions and patience with the new guy.

Please sign in to leave a comment.