Support of embedded lens profiles to Luminar AI

Answered

Comments

16 comments

Elena Blum

Hi Member,

The thing is that Luminar AI (as well as Luminar 4 and any other Luminar version that's ever been released) uses a pure RAW converter. It shows more information than any other photo processor. 

There are Lens and Perspective Correction tools in Professional > Optics so you can fix the lens distortion. 

Comment actions Permalink

Hi Elena,

thanks for your feedback. I know that I can do it manually but this is not the way it should be done. The correction values are well known, so why should I try it myself for every new photo and focal distance? If the embedded information cannot be used that offer a list of lens profiles to select from which then corrects the picture. There are databases which can be used such as "lensfun".

Luminar is such a nice tool, bus this is really a essential feature which is missing. 

Joachim Korswird

I agree, please add the feature for new lenses.

I have the same problem with the Nikon Z 24/200 lens. There is a lens correction coming with the pre view of a raw file, but after some seconds this correction gets deleted and the picture shows the distortion.

The tool supplied from Luminar AI is not able to correct the distortion in both directions (horizontal and vertical) to the same result, like it is before loading the file into Luminar.

Chris

This issue has apparently been raised 2 years ago:

...and still persists with my Nikon Z6ii and Nikon Z 24-200mm lens.

Please advice on a feasible fix (which is NOT manually correcting every single image). In case there's no fix to this day, I haven't the foggiest notion why Nikon (Z) users should use your software. Like this, Luminar is not only a software that you have to pay for, but also creates work for us to waste time with.

I hope you can clear up this confusion.

Katherine Nelson

Hi Jaja,

Instead of fixing distortion for each photo individually, you can copy the adjustment to the images that haven't been edited yet. 

To do this, check Auto Distortion Corrections for one image, right-click it and choose  Adjustments > Copy Adjustments.

Then, multiple select unedited images, right-click one of them and choose Adjustments > Paste Adjustments. 

Moreover, you can save Auto Distortion Corrections as a custom template.

Thilo Wiertz

I seriously do not understand why you are ignoring this. Is there any explanation? There are multiple reasons why manual correction are not a particularly good option (consider zoom lenses). Also, why bother with manual and less accurate adjustments if all the info is given?

I have come here about twice a year to check if this has been fixed as I am really willing to switch to Luminar. But as long as this is not resolved, I won't.

Are there any plans to add this basic feature in the new Luminar. No longer using Luminar ai because of this and will not waste more money of lens correction is not implemented sufficiently.

Helena Carter

Hi Member, Thilo Wiertz,

We will introduce some Optics Corrections Tool improvements in the next LuminarAI coming within a week or two approximately. Please, stay tuned! You'll be able to see how it works for your photos then and report it back.

David

Hi Helena,

Just to clarify what all of us users are looking for, we want Luminar AI to allow us to use the manufacturer lens correction profile that is embedded in the lens, such that the optical/distortion correction is EXACTLY the same as on the out-of-camera jpeg. We're not interested in any new ai optical correction features. The lens manufacturers have placed an huge amount of effort in creating profiles that correct lens imperfections almost perfectly so please don't re-invent the wheel, just let us use these manufacturer profiles!

Helena Carter

Hi,

That's how currently LuminarAI works with Lens correction: We have a special database inside the program which includes all the info about the lenses. If your lenses are on this list, Lens Corrections will be applied according to these lenses' peculiarities. If not, it works based on general algorithms

David

Hi Helena,

Can you please provide this list of lenses that are included in your special database? We're receiving conflicting responses from Skylum employees, as according to this discussion thread, Skylum technical support confirmed that Luminar does not use lens manufacturer profiles at all for distortion correction:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009427080-Will-Luminar-get-lens-profiles-

Ironically, one of the key advantages of manufacturer lens distortion correction profiles is that they can be used when a software developer does NOT have their own distortion correction profile for a specific lens (lenses that are not included or listed in the software database). So far all of my lenses with electrical contacts (native and third party, in my case I use Sony E mount), embed lens manufacturer distortion correction profiles in the RAW file. And furthermore, so far all of the lens manufacturer distortion correction profiles have performed better, in my opinion, than all correction profiles that have been provided by software developers. Capture One is a great example of where I always end up reverting to the manufacturer profile.

I just purchased a copy of Luminar ai a few days ago and I very much like it, but I simply haven't been able to get the software to correct lens distortion as well as the manufacturer profile does. This is currently a show-stopper for me, preventing me from using Luminar ai for anything other than just goofing around with the templates.

Sandika Peiris

I am coming from Lightroom and as I see there is no lens correction in Luminar Ai, I am trying to switch to Luminar but this one of main drawback when shooting with wide lenses. 

Helena Carter if you have the "database inside the program" can you please provide the information on that or a link to the supported lenses same way you have the supported camera models.

Here is a sample link how adobe manage it, 

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/supported-lenses.html

Also please don't mark this as answered, because its clearly not. 

Agatha Winter

Hi Sandika!

You can find the Lens Correction option in the Optics tool in Luminar AI. Please check the details in our user guide: https://manual.skylum.com/ai/en/topic/optics-tool?q=distortion 

As for the supported lenses list, currently, this doc is not published for free access. Hope for your understanding. 

Volker Behrmann

Hi to all,

Seem to be that Skylum support is not understanding our problem. - I have the same issue with Luminar AI. 

In the catalog for some seconds, the picture looks well and than, when I am clicking on the picture or going to editing mode, the automatic lens correction is distroying the picture. - Also when I make a click in the "automatic lens correction" there are no changes. - Only manualy is possible.

Seems to be that the lens database is wrong or Luminar has a bug and is not using the profiles.

Ivan Azure

Hi Volker,
    Could you please send us the original photos you are working with? Please contact our support team via support@skylum.com and we will provide you with the corresponding link. 

Teaguean Knudsen

Hi all,

I found this post as I am facing the same problem. Camera: Nikon Z6ii, Lens: Z 14-30 f/4. When working with the RAW file in both Luminar Neo and Luminar AI the "Auto Distortion Corrections" feature hardly adjusts the distortion. In some photos its not even noticeable. I know the corrections are not correct because I have compared a number of the photos to the straight-out of camera jpegs which have the distortion correction applied by the camera. I really enjoy using the luminar software but the lack of support to at least get the auto distortion corrections to work correctly is frustrating. Considering this post is over 2 years old, I decided to try and find a solution that doesn't create too much extra effort in my workflow. I haven't tested a large number of photos, but I have found that by using Adobe DNG converter to convert my raw NEF files to DNG and then load them into luminar neo, the auto distortion correction appears to work better. It still doesn't match the SOOC jpegs, but its at least closer and still allows the advantages of working with RAW. 

I am sure like many of you, I don't plan to purchase any Skylum software until they can show they are listening and can accommodate what should be a simple software update to read the lens corrections embedded in the raw photo.

Please sign in to leave a comment.