CR3 Support

Answered

Comments

12 comments

• Official comment
    Kirk Osborn

Hi! We may add the support of CR3 format in the future, but for now, there is no ETA, since our tech teams are focused on developing Luminar.

Please stay tuned and check for updates.

Comment actions Permalink
    Andy Bell

Sorry but that’s not a satisfactory answer. As a loyal supporter of Aurora, Luminar in all its forms, and Skylum software in general, I feel I have been fobbed off with noncommittal answers regarding CR3 files for over a year now in this forum

While I recognise that new file formats won’t be implemented into Aurora within weeks of their release, to have to wait over a year, without any idea of timescale when it may happen is simply not good enough. 

To answer with the flippant remark that your “tech teams are are focussed in developing Luminar” implies that any development of Aurora is probably never going to happen, and certainly not within the next few months.

Time to look around for alternative rendering software I think, which is very sad as Aurora really is an excellent piece of software.

Hunter Smith

I agree, I would honestly be more understanding if Luminar didn't already support it. Just seems a little silly one program has it and the other dosnt, especially when I bought the programs bundled together after I saw the generalized advertistatement that "RAW" format was supported... just not my raw I guess? It's a shame becuase I was really impressed with Auroras capabilities and I'm disappointed I can't use it to its full potential becuase of a simple file issue. I have the Canon M50 so my RAW format is locked to CR3. I thought CR3 was fairly common but apparently not. I was really exited to finally try some HDR type photos too.

Andy Bell

Hunter, this is probably not the place for this but you can use Canon own photo professional software to merge your RAW brackets, then edit in Aurora. 

Hunter Smith

Thank you Andy, I shall look into that. I appreciate your comments.

Ron Barnes

I bought Luminar 3, and later, 4 on discounts. Rarely use them, as my main organizer/editor is ACDSee Ultimate 2021.    

I'm just now playing around with Lum. 4... and Aurora HDR 2019..... they're capable, but they seem to be missing many of the convenience features of ACDSee's products. Granted, I've used them for 20 years, so am familiar with their inner workings...

ACDSee is usually on the ball with new cameras....

Ron Barnes

Well, at least Luminar 4 can view and edit the .cr3 files that my bitchin' R5 produces!!

Otto Schäfer

Being new to Luminar and Aurora HDR, but the answer above is not acceptable.

- cr3 is listed as file format when you want to open a picture
    - nowhere mentioned on te productpage that cr3 (or cr3 of a specific camera version) is not supported.

Leaves a bad impression to somebody who just spent a lot of money. :(

Andy Bell

I agree Otto, and has been said before if Lumiar AI can now open CR3 files, why can’t that be incorporated into Aurora. The annoying thing is the lack of information from Skylum.

Jon Bish

Soooo instead of supporting ALL of your programs equally.... Y'all decide to abandon one for the other... If that's the case... Then y'all need to be more transparent in the description of this program, so people do not buy it expecting formats from 3yrs ago to be supported...

Andy Bell

Well said Jon.. still we patiently wait .

Ron Barnes

At least you can convert .cr3 files to tiff or jpeg and import them into Aurora.

That said, most of my HDR images are shot in camera....If I don't like the jpeg that's produced, I will edit one of the 3 raw files. Just two days ago, I shot Puget Sound from a 2500' mt top, at midnight and sunrise. An in camera HDR needed a bit of post processing, but the Aurora HDR result, from the two best raw files, was noisy as all get out. Otherwise, it wasn't bad. I need to give it another chance, or at least redo the edit.

I use ACDSee and have for some 15 years.  Rarely use Skylum. I have CC but seldom use it. Really need to delve into it, for some of the advanced shooting techniques it can process which are difficult in ACSee.. And, it accepts more plugins.

Please sign in to leave a comment.