Aurora HDR with EOS R5 Raw Files

Answered

Comments

9 comments

• Official comment
    Elena O'Brien

Hi

Currently, Canon R5 and Canon R6 are yet to be supported by Aurora HDR.

However, we're constantly working on expanding the supported camera list. Thus, it's just a matter of time until the app is able to read the files produced by your cameras properly. 

For now, we recommend you install Adobe DNG Converter and convert your RAW files to DNG file format (which is supported by Aurora HDR). 

Please use one of the links below to download Adobe DNG Converter:

For Mac OS:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_mac/ 

For Windows:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_win/ 

Comment actions Permalink
    Matthew Perry

Ok, however using a DNG converter is no different than converting in Photoshop unfortunately.

This has been brought up 6 months ago in the forums and were told a fix is coming, but nothing yet. To be a professional suite, I would think something as SIMPLE as adding new bodies to your RAW converter, would be a quick turnaround, as professionals switch bodies often to new gear.

Do you have an ETA on this or should I Switch to another software?

Unfortunately with the volumes Im doing lately, this process is too cumbersome now.

Matt 

Helga Hufflepuff

Matthew Perry,

As much as we would love to, currently there is no ETA when this update is released. While there is no set timeline, we definitely have it in our to-do list. 

Matthew Perry

Thats disappointing. Ok well that leaves me no other option than to change my workflow, as its been over 6 months now. Thank you for your responses however! appreciate it!

John Cooklis

The big clue to whether or not a buggy software product is dead is how often it gets updates.  After being out for a couple years, the current version is 1.0.1 (6438).  So 1 minor update?  That is why I have not put any effort into contacting customer support with all the info they need to reproduce a bug.  It's not going to get fixed.

I only used Aurora HDR in batch mode, and if you lower your expectations, it is good at the actual HDR merge. My workflow is as follows:

1. Run an Automator script on my Mac to open the raw DNG files with Preview and export them as PNG files.  I do this because Preview on the Mac corrects the lens distortion automatically and correctly for my camera.  And without needing a JPEG to get info about the lens like Aurora supposedly does.  All the info it needs is in the DNG file to begin with.

2. Do the merge on the PNG files with Aurora HDR in batch mode and output a 16-bit TIFF file.  This is the only 16-bit raw output format that Aurora can write.

3. Use exiftool to copy all the tags from one of the input PNG files back into the TIFF file.  This is necessary because when Aurora loses the GPS data and a whole bunch of other tags.  You can see for yourself all the stuff Aurora HDR loses by listing the tags on the input and output files with exiftool.

Tim Horne

What is very interesting is that Skylum just sent out a survey about what new features we would like to see in Luminar AI. I don't think anything else needs to be added until they support the software they have sold and are still selling to users. 

There is no priority to Aurora HDR anymore as that is "not their direction" anymore. I really dislike it when they say "we focus on what our users want" and then disregard that with "we are moving in OUR direction". These cameras are supported in Luminar AI, I just wonder what the hold-up is for Aurora? 

I think Adobe listens to their users better these days. I never thought I would see that happen.

Yesterday I got the R5. I hadn't even thought of checking if it was supported (I took it for granted) and it turns out bitterly that it still isn't. I bought Aurora, Luminar 4 and Photolemur 3 ... Until last week I could use them without problems ... now the problems there are. I really hope that Skylum proves to be a serious software house and provides a close turn. Thank you

Vital Nights

It's abundantly clear they have given up on doing the bare minimum for this software. They only care about releasing half-baked software every two years changing just a few things. It's been about 2 years since the R5 & R6 have been out and yet still lack the ability to process these files.

matthew jackson

2 years and still not done ????

Please sign in to leave a comment.