Why is Luminar AI so incredibly slow?

Answered

Comments

42 comments

Black Eyes

Again, the same story and dishonesty!

Mostly, the slowness is not due to user side, it's due to poor performance of Luminar AI. Customers can have high-level hardware, pictures on internal drive, but Luminar AI will remain slow. Skylum has promised many times to improve performance and reliability but never did.

That's it!

Comment actions Permalink
    Anders Sjöberg

Just wanted to point out that those steps are for a Windows machine and the problems in this thread are for Mac.

Mick Olsen

Hi, i have more or so the same problem.

I have a imac retina 5k 27" mid 2015, and just upgraded to 32gb ram. 3,3ghz intel core i5. amd radeon r9 m290 2gb.

My luminar ai contains no photos at the moment, so its "clean". When i import 1 photo and start to edit (moving sliders etc) it starts to lag (up to 5-10 sec) so the edit is a 50-50 guess on where i land the sliders. So its getting a bit frustrating.

Hope there is a way to fix it.

Titan

before buying Luminar AI I thought this app will help make my job done faster.

For everyone reading this, Luminar AI will make your usual work much slower.

I bought Luminar AI 5minutes ago, then just imported 1 photo, 1 godem photo and I have to wait 20 secs everytime I move something around. BTW I am using gtx nvidia titan xp.

After enhancing sharpness, I was like wait it doesn't look sharp, then few moments later sharpness appears, so then I zoomed in 100% to the eye of the model then everything is pixelated and I have to wait for 20 secs for the photo to load. then it is the same issue after I zoomed out.

This is a joke, how come I have to wait for the photo to load every 20 sec if i have to zoom in or out ??

This is the same process everytime you adjust contrast and brightness exposures and wait until it loads up. this is BS

Jamie Steel

I am having severe issues with this program and will have to essentially bin it and replace it with Lightroom - which I really do not like, not want to do.

I use the Adobe Suite and have a very strong PC running on windows with the latest Ryzen processor and RTX 3080. I have have a laptop running the latest Intel i9 and RTX 2080 and this software, quite simply, is not fit for purpose right now. Clearly this is not a computer issue, but the software itself.

Can we expect a software update? Obviously the situation in Ukraine will undoubtedly be affecting the progress of this, which is completely understandable. Should I wait or replace my editing software at the moment?

Tanya Raj

Facing the same issues as listed above. I have only been able to edit 5 photos in 2 hours and that too was riddled with the software crashing twice. Really regret paying for this and NEO. I wish I could get my money back. Sending individual error logs doesn't even make sense at this point seeing as so many people have the same challenge. Clearly it is an issue with the software, but doesn't look like there has been any effort to address that. 

Joshua Bray

Yea it's painfully slow for me as well, crashes often.

I'm running it on a pretty powerful brand new laptop that can run AAA games at 2k resolution & 60FPS no problem (AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS CPU with 16GB of RAM and an RTX 3060 GPU with 6GB of VRAM).

The issue seems to be Luminar AI's insane CPU hungry design (see pic). For reference, the stats in the pic below were taken when I was just simply clicking on a raw image in Luminar AI and it was un-blurring itself (jpeg fares much better). This often crashes the program it's so CPU hungry. It doesn't matter how good your graphics card is, how big your SSD is, or how much RAM you have, I'm guessing unless your running Luminar AI on one of the new M2 macbook chips (and again, this is a guess), it's gonna be slow as molasses. I'll have to try this on my friends m2 macbook in a few weeks when she gets it. I'm not sure why it is this way, no other editing software is like this. A work around I've utilized is to shoot in both RAW & JPEG and then I just fool around with the JPEG's until I get it edited the way I like (much faster) and then I just apply the same settings to my raw pics. It shouldn't be like this though... disappointing.

pavan kumar

Very disappointed with Luminar products. Here's why:
    1. Every editing tool you select takes time to load. It's something very basic which shouldn't take 5 seconds every time i switch from composition to light to layers for example
    2. There's a bug which removes edits on the files. Which means hours of work lost and a very frustrating experience
    3. Cannot work with a large catalog of 500+ files because of the above bug, slow tools and loading. 
    And one last extremely annoying thing about Luminar, it takes several hours(atleast 3-4 hours for 400-500 files) to output normal edits with no layers. Mind you, I have a pretty fast mac. 

I don't trust their products anymore. They just make another version of luminar and sell it without improving what we've purchased already

@TaniaTaylor what happens when you contact Skylum support? Do they have an unpublished solution that cannot be discussed here? Why will no one address this issue in public? Why are you looking at this on a case by case basis when there are clearly enough people in this thread demonstrating it’s not an isolated case? Can we please have an answer? The first step to solving any problem is acknowledging it.

@TaniaTaylor You have responded without answering any questions and clearly avoiding the obvious. You have already invested more energy in responding to individuals in this thread with a blanket response as you did with mine, than what it would take to say “OK, there’s a problem and our engineers are trying to fix it” which undermines the confidence I have in your ability to support your paying customers. The point is I have been through this process with support tickets, as have many others in this thread, and your engineers have failed to address any of the issues or provide an adequate reason as to why me and so many people with different configurations are experiencing the same problems. As I’ve stated before on this thread, I have 3 completely different macs with different OS versions old and new, and Luminar AI exhibits the same problems in all of them. I am on this thread and would like you to give us a response from your engineers here instead of passing the buck as your engineers did and blame it the fact I wasn’t running the latest version of MacOS which wasn’t the case on my other system. So please, no one would be here in the support thread if your company did their jobs properly.

Margaret Bright

Hi Mick,

Our support team will be happy to take a deeper look and advise on how to speed things up for you.

Could you please get in touch with our team and provide them with your hardware configuration:

N.B. The links are clickable and show the screenshots that can guide you, if necessary.

Here is the video tutorial on how to retrieve your system infohttps://www.loom.com/share/97aff7951ee3412daa020f1d88eb36e8     

Greg Lipps

This most recent update is ridiculously slower - I just upgraded to a Mac min1 M1 16gb ram - it runs Lightroom, PS and all other applications so snappy and clean, however, Luminar AI is incredibly slow and continues to crash.  I upgraded to this machine in hopes of a better performing workflow.  If this isn't corrected soon, I am going to have to abandon ship and modify my workflow to exclude this product - so incredibly frustrating.  Great marketing, ideas but the performance greatly under delivers!

Helga Hufflepuff

Hi Greg,

I'm terribly sorry to hear about the issue you encountered. I guess there is something we can do to improve the situation. Can you kindly contact us via https://skylum.com/support ? Look forward to hearing from you.

I seem to have this same problem above, also, exporting 4 photos is taking 20 minutes. I just bought this and already frustrated.

David Monroe

Not sure how I could make this Mac any more powerful. I have a 2020 iMac, 10core i9, 128GB RAM and yes, Luminar AI is incredibly slow. Exporting seems to take forever. I just deal with it because the end result it pretty magical. But, yeah, it's frustrating.

Anna Kwa

I have the same issues. Luminar AI is an amazing editing software but the slowness is killing me. It took forever to load a sky and at times it crashes. Using a Macbook Air (M1, 2020) I am extremely frustrated and disappointed. Hopefully the new Luminar Neo has a better performance since I pre-ordered it. If it is slow like Luminar AI I would be very disappointed.

I agree with all the users above experiencing the slowness and poor performance of Luminar AI. I have a 14-core iMac Pro. Even when doing some serious video effects in Final Cut Pro it renders faster than changes to a photo in Luminar AI. I don’t have to have a large catalog, it could be empty and it’s still slow as hell. It feels like the “AI” is happening in the cloud and Luminar inefficiently uploads your whole image to the cloud for processing and then downloads it again after every single change. Asking users to forward diagnostic reports is unacceptable as these problems seem to be there for a large number of people. Skylum, please fix your software and come with a satisfactory response to the people that bought into your software based on your great claims. At this point in time Luminar AI is nothing more than an app using up unnecessary hard disk space because it’s just unusable in the real world. The sucker I am bought Luminar Neo too, I bet it will be just as bad.

Katherine Nelson

Hi guys,

I am sorry to hear you have such issues with Luminar AI and completely understand how frustrating it is. Let me assure you that we are constantly improving the speed of the app, however, sometimes we need to get additional information to investigate specific cases. That's why we always ask our artists to reach our support team via https://skylum.com/support so we could take a closer look at the issues you have encountered.

David Monroe

The exporting is definitely slow. But for such an amazing sub $100 editor it's not the end of the world. Hopefully NEO will be faster.

Neil Walmsley

Already asked for a refund on Neo the Early Access version is painfully slow making it unusable. The AI isn’t even all it’s made out to be. Very disappointing.

Ivan Azure

Hi All, 

We are sorry to hear that you have encountered speed problems. Don't hesitate to get in touch with our support team via support@skylum.com or https://skylum.com/support and we will investigate your cases more thoroughly, taking into account each unique conjuncture. 

YUKIO OCHI

Hi!  Reviewing the community responses regarding NEO's slowness, I am have similar problems.

Hardware: IMAC running Big Sur.  8 gigs ram.  i5 Processor

Only added 3 photos to catalog.

I previously been using Luminar 4 which was always a little slow but acceptable.

Is there a preference or setting to change to make NEO respond faster while using the tools?

YUKI

Yukio.ochi@gmail.com

Elena Blum

Hi YUKIO OCHI,

We'll get in touch with you via email. Thanks!

Wow, took a breakfrom Luminar 3 because I got tired of the crashing and slow load times. 2 versions later there's still tons of reports about slow program?

No point in investigating further. See you in another 5 years

Zac Ablett

Hi all,

I am having the same issues on multiple computers, work from SSDs and also from the computer’s hard drive with no real change in performance. My iMac from 2012 works just as fast as my MacBook Pro from 2018!

My observation after some months using this program, I really love the results I am getting from Luminar AI, absolutely fantastic tools to work with RAW. It’s just very slow. I think I and other users out there DESPERATELY want a good alternative to Adobe. Their subscription system is complete BS and unrealistic for users like myself who don’t use it week in week out. Luminar is much more accessible and the tools are brilliant.

What I’d like to see is improvements in PERFORMANCE - and less focus on more fancy effects and other extras. Although impressive - my work relies on fast workflows and being able to apply those basic edits like light and colour adjustments efficiently. That’s my 99%. Less than 1% is what I give to changing the sky, removing powerlines and other things like that… please please please work on the performance for version 6 Luminar team!!!!!

Tania Taylor

Hi Zac Ablett!

Our team is working on (well, will resume working after the situation in Ukraine gets back to normal) the memory use optimization and will improve the app's performance in future updates. But we'll appreciate it immensely if you could provide us with some more details that could help us: 

• How many images are there in your Library? Please send us a screenshot of your Catalog file structure as in the example: http://prntscr.com/10c13mo 
    • Where are they located (on an internal or external drive)?
    • What's the format and size of files you're working with?
    • What’s your major concern in terms of performance? (e.g. RAW file rendering speed, export speed, etc.)
    • How much time does it take to export an image? / How much time does it take to apply an adjustment to an image?
    • Your hardware configuration

Please send this info to skylum.com/support.

Zac Ablett

Hi Tania,

It is awful to see what is happening in Ukraine at the moment. I’ll be happy to send details - but of course there are more important things going on for you right now! Thanks for your prompt reply considering the circumstances and I hope you are all safe and stay safe during this time.

Zac

brian g

I'm running Luminar AI on my 2021 M1 Macbook Pro with no issues. The only delay I experience is when the AI logo is lit suggesting it's thinking but that's never more than a couple seconds. Love the results of editing in AI. Wishing all the best to the Skylum folks and others in Ukraine. 

This thread has now become laughable. It's 1 year old and nothing has changed. The fact that no update with a fix is coming says it all. It's so easy to reproduce this on a BRAND NEW Mac! All you have to do is download the software and add 10 photos to the catalogue and it goes extremely slow! That's it! Nothing techical. I've now tested this on like 5 different machines with consistent results. These developers know exactly what is wrong and it's probably a fundamental flaw in the design of the app that they can't get away from. Ukraine is not going back to normal for years to come so if we are waiting for that we might as well forget it. As I said I was suckered and bought both Luminar AI + NEO based off some social media gas. Good marketing but poor software architecture, if they knew how to fix it, it would be fixed by now. Cut your losses and don't bother with this software. If I could get my money back I would.

Well, this is very unfortunate. I edit 4K video and upscale to 8K using Topaz AI on my machine with no problem. That is by far, so much more computationally intensive that trying to edit 1 picture.

If what you're saying is true, I'm going to use Capture One Pro from now on. I bought this program just like you...the whole AI+Neo because I wanted to help support Ukraine by giving my business to them and because from using the demo lightly, I found that the workflow was quick for near-perfectly shot pictures that could use a quick touch-up before delivery to the client. I guess I should have used the demo more rigorously. Luminar is still good for light edits, but yea...I definitely CANNOT work with this program on serious edits. ABSOLUTELY NO WAY!

Thanks for the reply. You've opened my eyes to a deeper and darker side of this company. I guess I just put too much trust into new developers thinking they are willing to go the extra mile for being new to the competition. This is very discouraging. Now I too wish I could get a refund.

Please sign in to leave a comment.