Why is Luminar AI so incredibly slow?

Answered

Comments

42 comments

Anastasiia Moore

Hi Jamie Steel,

I'm sorry to hear that you encountered issues with Luminar AI.

Our developers are constantly working on the updates. The last update for Luminar AI (1.5.2) was at the end of March.

Kindly contact our support team at https://skylum.com/support describing the issues you are experiencing. They'll gladly help you!

Comment actions Permalink

Jamie Steel

What worked in speeding up the program for me is to restart it as soon as I notice something is taking more than a couple of seconds.

What is apparent, is that CPU usage is incredibly high when the program slows down. Even for the most non-demanding function, like switching from Catalog to Edit or just switching between edits. It seems like it's caching processes and trying to catch up with your workflow.

I hope this helps.

Ivan Azure

Hi!
    Currently, the software relies mainly on CPU and RAM. The application can use the maximum amount of RAM when one works with the program. But as soon as the user finishes the editing, the RAM consumption drops anew. 

Just downloaded the AI trial and it is slow.  I thought it was me, so I did a quick Google search and found this forum.  While testing the various effects, I would think, boy, that one really didn't do anything and then all of a sudden POP, the effect finally is applied to the photo.  There are some neat tools, but I agree with what everyone else is saying, it's too slow for me to consider as a regular photo editor.  I am not buying a new $5,000 computer to speed it up either.  Sorry Luminar...

Ivan Azure

Hi Member,

Reinstall the application in the following way (make sure to save all necessary results in advance):

• Delete the app with AppCleaner. Download AppCleaner from here: http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner 
      Drag Luminarᴬᴵ from your Applications folder into the AppCleaner window. When removing Luminar, mark all the files and folders in the list, except for RTW788AXG3.com.skylum.luminarAI.
    • Go to Pictures -> Luminarᴬᴵ Catalog and rename this folder (if you have created the Catalog in another Location, please navigate there and rename the Catalog folder).
    • Open Luminarᴬᴵ Catalog folder, locate the file LuminarAI Catalog.luminarai and change its name too. 
    • Go to Application Support (launch Finder > Go > Go to Folder > paste /Library/Application Support/Skylum Software and delete LuminarAI folder.
    • Go to Terminal and paste: defaults delete com.skylum.luminarai , then press Enter
    • After that please install Luminarᴬᴵ back from the link below: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminarai/mac/Luminar_AI_Release.dmg

If the issue persists, we recommend continuing the troubleshooting session via support@skylum.com

Tanya Raj

Facing the same issues as listed above. I have only been able to edit 5 photos in 2 hours and that too was riddled with the software crashing twice. Really regret paying for this and NEO. I wish I could get my money back. Sending individual error logs doesn't even make sense at this point seeing as so many people have the same challenge. Clearly it is an issue with the software, but doesn't look like there has been any effort to address that. 

Joshua Bray

Yea it's painfully slow for me as well, crashes often.

I'm running it on a pretty powerful brand new laptop that can run AAA games at 2k resolution & 60FPS no problem (AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS CPU with 16GB of RAM and an RTX 3060 GPU with 6GB of VRAM).

The issue seems to be Luminar AI's insane CPU hungry design (see pic). For reference, the stats in the pic below were taken when I was just simply clicking on a raw image in Luminar AI and it was un-blurring itself (jpeg fares much better). This often crashes the program it's so CPU hungry. It doesn't matter how good your graphics card is, how big your SSD is, or how much RAM you have, I'm guessing unless your running Luminar AI on one of the new M2 macbook chips (and again, this is a guess), it's gonna be slow as molasses. I'll have to try this on my friends m2 macbook in a few weeks when she gets it. I'm not sure why it is this way, no other editing software is like this. A work around I've utilized is to shoot in both RAW & JPEG and then I just fool around with the JPEG's until I get it edited the way I like (much faster) and then I just apply the same settings to my raw pics. It shouldn't be like this though... disappointing.

pavan kumar

Very disappointed with Luminar products. Here's why:
    1. Every editing tool you select takes time to load. It's something very basic which shouldn't take 5 seconds every time i switch from composition to light to layers for example
    2. There's a bug which removes edits on the files. Which means hours of work lost and a very frustrating experience
    3. Cannot work with a large catalog of 500+ files because of the above bug, slow tools and loading. 
    And one last extremely annoying thing about Luminar, it takes several hours(atleast 3-4 hours for 400-500 files) to output normal edits with no layers. Mind you, I have a pretty fast mac. 

I don't trust their products anymore. They just make another version of luminar and sell it without improving what we've purchased already

Tania Taylor

Hi pavan kumar!

We're sorry to hear about your frustration. Could you please contact us at skylum.com/support so that we could look into your case?

@TaniaTaylor what happens when you contact Skylum support? Do they have an unpublished solution that cannot be discussed here? Why will no one address this issue in public? Why are you looking at this on a case by case basis when there are clearly enough people in this thread demonstrating it’s not an isolated case? Can we please have an answer? The first step to solving any problem is acknowledging it.

Tania Taylor

Hi Member!

Contacting us via skylum.com/support is the most effective way for us to troubleshoot each specific case, report them to our engineering team, and collect all the needed information (for instance, event logs, screen recordings, files to reproduce the issue. etc.). We'd really want to reply to each and every one of your comments with suggestions to make the software work right away, but right now the best way we can help you and you can help us make Luminar AI (or Neo) better is to report everything via the support contact form.

@TaniaTaylor You have responded without answering any questions and clearly avoiding the obvious. You have already invested more energy in responding to individuals in this thread with a blanket response as you did with mine, than what it would take to say “OK, there’s a problem and our engineers are trying to fix it” which undermines the confidence I have in your ability to support your paying customers. The point is I have been through this process with support tickets, as have many others in this thread, and your engineers have failed to address any of the issues or provide an adequate reason as to why me and so many people with different configurations are experiencing the same problems. As I’ve stated before on this thread, I have 3 completely different macs with different OS versions old and new, and Luminar AI exhibits the same problems in all of them. I am on this thread and would like you to give us a response from your engineers here instead of passing the buck as your engineers did and blame it the fact I wasn’t running the latest version of MacOS which wasn’t the case on my other system. So please, no one would be here in the support thread if your company did their jobs properly.

Please sign in to leave a comment.