Discover the new Luminar 4.3.3 update!

Pinned Answered

Comments

63 comments

I'm not having trouble with the install, but I see they did absolutely nothing about the sluggishness. I have an SSD and Windows 10, it takes between 1:57-2:22 minutes to load an image. That's with the looks and filmstrip turned off. It takes much longer with those options, often 5 minutes. At this rate it will take days to edit 1000 images. 

I've run beta test programs and had engineers incomplete denial about how bad a release was. Held up a release for nearly 2 months because the lead engineer insisted the problem was our beta testers and refused to consider his code was adding 5 minutes to move between all the screens customers used. When he was finally forced to look at his code, he found out left he'd left debugging turned on 

Comment actions Permalink
    Petri Puurunen

After the latest update 4.3.3 (7895) it takes nearly 5 minutes to start application, before less than 20sec.

Gary Hutchings

It is time to face the facts. 

I messaged the CEO of the company directly on LinkedIn, from my All-Star profile, he responded. I sent him detailed information, technical and customer service wise, on what is wrong with the system. He did not respond after given the information. Even when given to him in a true cooperate level manner. 

He does not care, as long as people continue to give them money. The hell they put on their support people. When you are support for Skylum, your real job is to apologize for a flawed product. I feel for support, this is not about them, this is about leadership. 

As a person that was programming in BASIC in the early 80's, got into serious software Dev for Utility software in 1996, then continued on to Enterprise level software engineering/development in 2008 to 2014. I say this company will never change.

It is a roll of the dice, you might install the program and have no problems. But if you do have issues, you are 90% on your own.  If you try all their tech support notes, and nothing fixes it, then your only hope is to try the software on a different computer(That would be after trying a full format of the computers Hard Drive(after full backup of unique data), and a reinstall of the OS). 

I have Luminar 4 working, because I have a life time of technology and programming experience. 

As much as I love the "We copy other people's features and sell for less" program when it is working, I will never expect the CEO to give support and dev what they need to fix this software franchise. 

Acceptance = Skylum software will always be buggy, and unreliable. 

Don't worry support, this will be my last message about this. I might try to help others, but I won't be speak as plainly about the direction of the company again, purely because I understand the hell your employers have put you in. 

Oleksandr Tsepko

Dear Gary Hutchings, I've checked my linked-in app and only saw your message from September 2020. In this message you gave a mostly negative feedback about the work of our Support Team. I noted that. But I don't agree with your comments. Our product, customer support, marketing and business teams do fantastic job helping creators make amazing photos. I talk to these people everyday and every day I hear from our happy customers. I think that Skylum Team is truly amazing. I also know that Luminar is becoming better and better with every update. And nothing will change my point of view. 🍀

Gary Hutchings

Oleksandr Tsepko Then you delete my response.  You are a dishonest and unprofessional 

Run from this program guys, when they get called out effectively for being dishonest and incompetent, they just delete the truth. There is nothing but a loss of time and money to be had from this dishonest company. 

Guess what.................................................................. I always screen cap what I write, so people like you can't lie about what I say.. So now I will give the words you deleted a world wide audience.  

Time to spend the rest of my technical consulting career telling this story to my THOUSANDS of consulting customers.  This would have stayed here on the Forums, but deleting my response changes things. 

You are a danger to people's businesses and finances. Time start the truth train rolling, you built that. 

Oleksandr Tsepko you are the reason Luminar will always be buggy and unstable.  All you care about is collecting money. 

Gary, calm down! For me this Update also not work, but I see no reason to rant in this way you do. Compared to a professional software like from Adobe this Luminar is ridicilous cheap, so my expectations and demands are certainly on another level. I am an amateur photographer, and I could do with Luminar things, which I could not do with any other software. So I am happy with what I got from Skylum for my money.

Henri Thébault

Hi, Member ?...

I do not join Gary in his ranting process, nevertheless It is not because, as a company, your basic customers are amateur photgrapher that you should sell them crap. It is maybe cheap but I want it to work.

For comparison let's just compare skylum with another company like Serif.

Serif is offering its Affinity suit of graphic softwares which are pretty cheap (~50$ each apps - perpetual license). Despite being ridiculously inexpensive they've became direct competitors to the giant Adobe and this is not just because those apps are great, but because their tech support is spotless and provide regular updates which does not crash your work. Futhermore, if there is an issue on an update, it is often solve in  the 24~30hr after the release, and this will communicating a lot about that problem and explaining what went wrong and how they are solving it, with even giving you some ETA deadline for the correction.

Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher, those apps, as luminar, are stupidly cheap but they offer professional experience by having the courtesy of being stable and fast. Is it to much to ask?

Helga Rowles

Hi guys, 

We have discovered that the ucrtbase.dll crash occurs on computers with old processors that do not meet our system requirements: 
    https://manual.skylum.com/4/en/topic/technical-requirements 

If your processor is older than Intel® Core™ i5 / AMD Ryzen™ 5 and Luminar 4 started crashing after the update, you can downgrade to the previous version using this installer:
    https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline.exe  
    We cannot guarantee that Luminar 4 will run smoothly on devices that do not meet our tech requirements. 

If your computer is fully compatible with our software and you're still experiencing the issue, please contact us at http://skylum.com/support so we can look into your particular case.

Henri Thébault

Helga,

Saying that a processor is "older" than Intel® Core™ i5 mean absolutly nothing. What generation are you talking about?

As far as I am concern I fill all the requirement advertised on you website.

Gary Hutchings

Like someone selling you rock candy instead of a diamond ring "But hey! It was cheaper than a diamond". You don't get to tell me to calm down, in broken English.  You see no reason, because you have not embarrassed people with masters degrees in computer science, all over the world, at the same time. You see no reason because you have no experience. You probably get money from Skylum, or you are related to someone working there. Dating one maybe.  

Everyone that defends the incompetence of this program is a thief, you help them steal money from people that don't understand that there is no one in support that knows how to help them. 

I love the Ukrainian people, I would stand as a nation against Russia.  But I will not lie or remain quiet about the fact Skylum are basically professional liars, that do not know what they are doing.  

I don't care if I pay .30 cent for a program, it better run, or there better be someone that KNOWS how to really help, not just pass on the technotes from others. 

It works for you, you are happy..  So the WHOLE rest of the world just needs to take your experience as their own. Pure insanity.. Actually, it is blindly defending them. 

You are not qualified to tell me anything, about anything :D  But thanks.. 

"Member

• 20 hours ago
    Gary, calm down! For me this Update also not work, but I see no reason to rant in this way you do. Compared to a professional software like from Adobe this Luminar is ridicilous cheap, so my expectations and demands are certainly on another level. I am an amateur photographer, and I could do with Luminar things, which I could not do with any other software. So I am happy with what I got from Skylum for my money."
    Gary Hutchings

Don't mention me, don't talk at me in this forum.  I have only been trying to help. I offered free help in the beginning. Then I figured out, they don't have any idea what they are doing. So I called them out and have been trying to help the customers, since the company will never change. 

I am done in this forum unless someone speaks directly at me again. 

Henri owned you, but you will make excuses and will get away with it.. I don't care anymore, I am not ranting, I am working to MAKE them accountable.. 

I am done on these forums, the rest will take place in the IT world..  

They updated the program, made themselves incompatible with some i5 processors, then tell the customers they don't meet min system requirements. <--- Should be all anyone needs to know about this team. 

Goodbye Skylum forum, it has been a sad and disgusting time here.. 

Miguel Lora

Que Dios nos coja confesados si compramos luminar.

Que Dios nos ampare si actualizamos Luminar 4 a Luminar 4 versión 4.3.3.

Paz y bien.

Miguel Lora

Todo iba bien con luminar 4, estaba hasta contento y feliz lo bien que funcionaba, hasta hasta que llego un ángel del demonio que se le ocurrió sacar una nueva versión llamada luminar 4 versión 4.3.3.

Ahí mi Luminar 4 falleció. intente reanimarlo al desinstalarlo y volverlo a instalar pero no reaccionaba. Intente ponerme en contacto con el soporte técnico y lamentablemente al día de hoy sigue cadáver.

Descanse en paz mi bonito Luminar 4.

Chris Larson

Wow, your PC with AMD CPU must be newer than 2017 to use Luminar. That is when the Ryzen was introduced.

My vintage 2011 PC exceeds all other specifications but that. 16GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 6-core AMD 64 bit CPU. What a waste of time and money this Luminar experiment has been for me. Admittedly, more time wasted than money.

So do not by Skylum software unless you have a brand-new PC, and then maybe it will work 90% of the time. Until an update.

Alex Fekete

I have to agree with Gary, although a little diplomacy would have helped. However, I totally see his frustration as I am equally frustrated.

It's difficult for end-users who are competent (GA/programming) in this area to bear and get insulted when they know the issues are caused from poorly written code that is being pushed out prematurely, followed by equally poor support.

No excuse in my book. I commend Skylum’s efforts, trying to fix issues following 3 revisions within 1 week, but that alone is a good indicator and proves my point as well as Gary’s. Sadly, the rev 3.3.x still does not work for majority of your user base.

Just be honest with your customers and continue to work on a fix and not use sad excuses blaming your buggy code on your customers systems. I’m fairly certain, few people are using what you refer to as 'old systems' or they wouldn't have had the ability to load any of your previous Luminar AI versions starting with Luminar AI v2.x on up (I could talk technical and fill 10 pages).

Again, it's a good way to quickly lose your brand equity, support reputation and more. I enjoy using Skylum's products, I'll wait patiently keep waiting and offer logging updates but only if it's truly productive in resolving the buggy code.

Sadly, if this is not addressed correctly by RD and Marketing, you know what I mean, you are going to damage your brand and reputation which has been quite stellar up to this recent snag. Looking forward to this fix, I’m confident the Skylum team will deliver.

After upgrading my computer to Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G, the update to 4.3.3 works for me too. Now the software is also running with satisfactory performance. ;)

Alex Fekete

HW upgrades has nothing to do with the bugs, it's bad code! Glad you updating to Ryzen 5, although still only a low-to mid-level processor and not really serious for professional work. These comments below sums it up and if no more real support is provided. I'll be using a different vendor, there are lots of competitors good products out there.

Phil Knowles

(the post has been edited due to the Comunity Guidelines)

I moved to Luminar 4 a year or so ago and the programme just does not run efficiently, crashed or just hangs. I have a Dell XPS i7 laptop and it feels like it's not powerful enough.

Honestly, there are enough comments on these forum about this and it's clear how their business model works so just don't buy or upgrade. I am thinking about Lightroom again as it's expensive but it does what it advertises. Luminar does nothing it says and is a waste of money. 

Eshe Wijnja

I came here to see if it was worth to upgrade from Luminar 3 (which was a total distaster).

But looking on the forums, Skylum did not fix the issues in Luminar 4, it seems most of the problem still remain, bad updates, slow program etc. So sorry to see I still need to keep up my LR sub for another year (and all the dreaded things that surround it) but at least it works. So no, iI'll not upgrade to Luminar 4. Be back in a year to see if Luminar 5 or something will do the job.

Helena Carter

Hi Eshe Wijnja,

Improving our software performance is our top priority right now. Thus, I'd recommend you try installing Luminar AI trial and see how it works for you:

http://skylum.com/download/luminar-ai-download 

Mike Forsman

William Duncan

Look, I run the following groups on facebook.

Photography for Beginners - the largest one, over 100k members.

you know what, i'm not going to list the rest that's enough.

Regardless, because of what i do I test every single software out there.

I actually liked some features of Luminar AI (I also have Luminar 4 and it still works).

I have reinstalled, etc, and I noticed that other people also are having trouble so i've been extremely patient just waiting for them to roll out some update that makes it work again.

The symptoms for me are as follows.

I launch it from photoshop, it comes up, but it doesn't let you edit or anything and the tabs on the right for adjustments never load.  

However if i launch luminar AI by itself, low and behold it works properly.  

This occurred after i updated luminar ai, so the problem is definitely on that end.

I've tried reinstalling, etc.  I'm not interested in doing  your troubleshooting for you, the code is the problem and you could just roll it back until you've fixed it.

Exposure X6, works great never does this.
    Boris FX Optics, works great never does this.
    DXO Photolab 4 - I don't use as a plugin, to be fair.
    Topaz Studio 2 - Works great, never does this.
    Gigapixel AI - OK gigapixel does stuff like this, and its annoying. Never be the first person to update. 
    Filter Forge never does this.

I personally didn't like Capture One, and a bunch of others i've tried.  

Regardless its been months now. 

Frankly i've had to put out a warning to over 150k members that Luminar AI is broken in photoshop, and to go with Luminar 4 or alternative software at the moment because its not reliable or stable.

I understand its not always simple to fix stuff, I do get that.  But its been 2 months.

I'm about ready to just write off Skylum's products entirely and detail why to everyone, because frankly you are affecting the workflow of thousands.  It was an established workflow that is now disrupted and honestly hasn't been addressed.  

I don't want someone to tell me to reinstall, because the problem is your update.
    I don't want to have to get you screenshots of what is a commercial off the shelf laptop, and a really good one.
    I want you to take a crack, even if it fails, and release a new update.  

IF that one doesn't work, i'll do you a solid and jump through any hoops you want to get you information to fix it.  But its been 2 months, you have the data for this one, you just haven't fixed it.

Fix it or take a crack at it. 

You are losing potential customers daily, because frankly i'm asked daily what editing software I recommend.  Stability is important.  Nobody is perfect, nobody is asking for perfection. We're asking for effort, visable effort, and that's only visable via actual updates.  

Don't be Cyberpunk 2077, seriously that's what it feels like.

Gary Hutchings

William Duncan  Not that it is worth the time, but I had to uninstall the pulgins from the Luminar interface itself, then reboot the computer, then reinstall the pugins from within the Luminar interface.  That is the only way I got the pugins to work again.

Luminar 4 has the drive path memory of a 100 year old alzheimers patient. I bought and built a new $1000 computer, new copy of Win10..Still resets to a default Windows Temp path every other time I launch the program. They can't even do something as basic as get the program to memorize drive paths properly.  

So much I have had to do with this program that I have not written about, that there is no tech note available to customers about.  What we call in the support industry "Hack and slash" support. If they can't send you a preprovided statement, they can't help you. 

At this point, the only way that Skylum could save face as a Business is to give Luminar AI to all of the people they can prove to have purchased a previous version.  I feel the worst for people that have Luminar 3, many comments in these forums about people STILL having the same unresolved issues, two versions back... I would love to say good things about Skylum, but they just don't want to pay for programmers and support people good enough to solve these issue..    

Austin Miller

Hello William,

It seems that you are experiencing an issue that is currently under investigation.

Could you please try the steps below?:

1. Close Luminarᴬᴵ and PS apps.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type %appdata%\Luminar AI
    4. Please rename the CommonSettingsPlugin.xml into CommonSettingsPlugin_old.xml.  See the screenshot: https://prnt.sc/10tgq4p 
    5. Copy the CommonSettings.xml file and rename this copied file to CommonSettingsPlugin.xml. See the screenshot: https://prnt.sc/10tgqi3
    6. Try to use Luminarᴬᴵ as a plugin now.
    William Duncan

I wish to say thank you and that the last step fixed the problem and its now working again.  I would suggest spreading that widely, as i am only one of many with the same issue right now.  

But, it worked.  I don't know why it worked, so i'm going to open the code of both and find out what's different. :P 

William Duncan

I have copied both files if you want them.

HA RC

If you select a photo from your folders, click over it with the right button and choose "Open with...", you can open it and work as usual with Luminar.

Be aware of not going to past edited work. The system will close again.

But maybe this can help you.

Hai Nguyen

Original v4 was working but slow, update to 4.2 crashed every time.  Completely useless.  Waiting and now install new release 4.3.3 and samething.  Just showed flashed screen and crashed.  Same symptom.  Of all the editor I been used since,  This is the worst software ever.

Aaron Thompson

After shelving Luminar 4 for about a year due to my poor first experience, I thought I'd try it on a new computer and see how it goes. Slightly faster than before, but now it crashes about half the time it applies changes when using several of the tools. 

And now I see Skylum have discontinued it, to try and get us to buy another product, while leaving Luminar 4 a buggy mess. I feel cheated that I paid for this at all - if I'd known they were going to abandon it less than a year later, I would never have bought it. Now I'm stuck with useless software that crashes any time I try to do anything useful with it.

Skylum, you'll never see another penny from me, and I'll be telling anyone I can to stay the hell away from your lousy products. Good riddance.

Please sign in to leave a comment.