Catalogue is still a mess

Answered

Comments

13 comments

Martin Jaiser

And BTW - if I delete Files which are in the catalogue, Luminar AI crashes at least half a dozen times when I try to start it. Then I get a message, that some files are lost and it seems to work properly again.

Don't get me wrong. I like Luminar - but the way you handle files is (and was) not professional!!!

Comment actions Permalink
    Kirk Osborn

Please right-click on the folder that you want to remove and choose 'Remove from Catalog'. If you have any other questions please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will be glad to help you.

Gil Delavous

Same issue here. I just added new photos into a new folder. Luminar AI shows the folder with each photo displayed 3 times. Can't do anything, can't resynchronize things.

Seriously guys when are you going to work on a real solid catalog?

Each time I launch Luminar I'm scared as hell to lose photos or edits. 

David Dunk

Two problems with Kirk Osborn solution.

1. This only works at the top level (parent) folder. All other nested folders will ALSO be removed. 
    2. You will lose all your edits when you do this and will essentially be starting from scratch. Might as well just delete the catalog and start a new one. 

I have run into problems like this in the past and had no choice but to start fresh.
    Therefore I've decided to use Luminar as an extension in Apple Photos. Luminar's stand alone catalog is just too unstable for my liking. 

Katherine Nelson

Hi Gil Delavous! Please reach our support team and we will do our best to help you: https://skylum.com/support 

Jeff Carlson

I'm seeing the same thing here, v1.2.0 (8790). Removing the images in the Finder and in Luminar makes no difference. Incredibly frustrating.

Jeff Carlson

Followup: I reached out to Skylum support, and the advice was to rename the Luminar library file and folder, then open Luminar and choose Create New Catalog in the dialog that appears.

That's it. No other instructions. So the solution to the problem is to start over from scratch with a new catalog and lose all previous edits? Unacceptable.

Gil Delavous

Yeah I lost all my edits, no way to recover from this new issue.

I didn't even bother contacting support as they basically do nothing but tell you to restart from scratch.

I give up with this software for serious editing. I don't count the number of times I had to restart from scratch since first Luminar version... while my LR catalog was solid for years.

They have coders who can make some pretty fine image retouching algorithm but they can't deal with simple database management. It's insane. As a software developer myself this is boggling my mind. There is nothing complicated making a robust photo library, why don't they spend some real effort on this?

It's a shame they don't get this more seriously, that software could be a killer if we could have faith on it. I don't get how people at Skylum don't realize that photo editing takes a lot of time and its a total nightmare to lose hundreds of edits. It's like if they sell cars and don't build reliable brakes. Incredible.

Well I guess its time to return to Adobe, I lost enough time with Luminar.

Martin Jaiser

Same frustration here. 

Sorry to be that clear, but this whole catalogue thing sucks! My only way using Luminar at the moment is to get image by image into the catalogue, work that through the end and export it to folder - distant from the ones you keep your RAW images in. The only good thing is the export to 500px - that keeps it out of reach of Luminar AI.

Guys you have a decent little SW to working on the modification of pictures, that's fine. But very non intelligent data base functions are not implemented!

If your team is not able to implement those, I do suggest that you implement a function, that you can save your work on a picture OUTSIDE OF THE CATALOGUE - if that would be available, there would be at least some use for Luminar!

Elena O'Brien

Hi guys,

If you are still facing issues with the catalog, please reach out to us at http://skylum.com/support
    I promise that our support team truly tries to find the solution for you :)

Martin Jaiser

Hi Elena,

The answer I got was more or less identical with what you wrote in the other thread. All modifications are lost when you remove from catalogue. As they recommended to start from scratch - here I am without the edits I made.

This is the situation I am in. The Luminar catalogue is doing a lot of crazy things - Skylum Support recommends me to start it over again. 

Frankly, your catalogue never was really great - but the thing I have since Luminar AI is useless. And with the number of pictures increasing with every update, I cannot use the program as is. I might change to to DxO and use Luminar for some special functions - the only way I see at the moment. 

As Skylum changed the entire format from Luminar 4 to Luminar AI anyhow, I might use it for a while as "plug-in" and fade out as others are catching up in terms of functionality. Its a pity because I like the things the SW can do with my pictures... 

Mark Davies

Editing photos's 10 out of 10, photo management 1 out of 10. I thought I had got this thing sorted, then ended up in such a mess, I had to recover an older backup from TimeMachine. The whole photo management thing just isn't working. You end up with lost edits, more duplicates that don't work than I care about, lost edit history, then waste loads of time time trying to fix it up. It takes ages to drop a photo into an album, I think the same is happening when you drop a photo into a folder if it works at all. It seems to work fine if you use the the plug in in Apple photo's, but there is no edit history saved. As for using the built in backup, it has never worked for me, just hangs forever. It's not like I'm a computer numpty, its been my whole life, but this is beyond me. Oh, and it's still an Intel binary.

Martin Jaiser

I changed to DxO PhotoLab 4 - that's the way, a catalogue has to look like, works perfect! 

I use Luminar as a kind of "plug-in" doesn't work perfectly but suitable. There are a few nice functions I like in Luminar which I can use that way, but main program is now something else, and I do not know, if I need to update in the future anymore... just for a few functions...

Please sign in to leave a comment.