Luminar AI Crashes Constantly

Answered

Comments

88 comments

• Official comment
    Helga Hufflepuff

Hello everyone,

I'm terribly sorry to hear about issues you encountered and our team will do our best to help.

Can you please kindly collect crash logs and send them to us?

1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your support request, which should be sent via https://skylum.com/support.

Here is the video tutorial on how to collect logshttps://www.loom.com/share/d7d8325cb83b4539a0a2dae3ebf286f6 

Comment actions Permalink
    Aida Gordon

Can someone update what the fix is? I suspect it is the same issue across the board for Windows users and maybe MAC OS.  I don't want to have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling everytime there is an update and a new feature is available. No matter how many times I rename and create a new Luminar AI Catalog, at some point, the app crashes after a few edits. Thank you.

Ray Blackburn

Regarding Jorg’s suggestion, the support staff told me to do the same thing.  What’s not clear in the directions is whether it’s ok to reconnect to the renamed catalogs?

I followed the directions to the letter and created a new catalog with all my old pictures.  Luminar didn't crash, but of course I lost all of my edits.

I DID rename my old catalog (both the directory AND the name of the catalog itself, although Jorg's instructions don't explicitly say to do that).  When I connected to that old (renamed) catalog, I saw that my edits were back, but just as I realized that.... BAM, it crashed again, and will not reopen.

I swear this is both the greatest and worst software I've ever worked with.  I want so bad for this to work so I can get rid of all my other editing software. 

David Faulkner

Same issue

Same problem. Have removed and re-installed 4 times. NG.

Aida Gordon

Hi Ray, I tried connecting to one if my old renamed catalogs, too but like you said it opens up a split second before the software crashes. 😫

Just bought it. Worse software ever and most frustrating experience. It is supposed to be efficient. I feel I could have taken a professional course in photoshop than trying to use this "quick" solution.

Requesting refund tomorrow.

Well - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this chronic issue, but I'm pretty irritated to see that there isn't a working solution. Waste of money?? It appears so... 

Michael Smith

I am getting sick and tired of Luminar AI crashing while editing photos. To resolve this problem, I have to move the problematic photo to a new folder. Otherwise, Luminar AI won't start. It's time for you to fix this problem.

Lisa Currey

My computer crashes every time I try to run Luminar AI.  I get frustrated and give up on my edits. What is the fix???

Lisa

Aida Gordon

Funny you should say that Daniel. I think so, too, but there are also some edits that crash like Atmosphere, adding fog and even doing a basic mask and cropping on composition. Hard to tell now.

David Huchelega

Same issue with me too. Just contacted support. Why don't LR or Topaz have these issues? Very frustrating.

I want to love this software but I don't want to go through this effort to make it work for each new update. Why can't Skylum just re-send a new update/fix that does all the work for us? I'm not used to working with companies that put the onus on me to fix the problem.

Mikko Harjusaari

Same issue. I used Atmosphere controls and it crashed. Now it won't start anymore and changing the catalog didn't help either. Now it's just stuck with the Luminar AI loading screen with a 100% CPU drain.

Dee

Same issue, re-installed the program twice, opend catalog, crashed. Unable to launch. Very frustrating, really hope that skylum support is able to fix this problem real soon. 

Matthew Brooks

This was once again the same damn issue with the Luminar 4....now I cannot access all my photos and edits. Absolutely ridiculous  

Aida Gordon

After changing out my Luminar AI catalog 4x since March 16, I was able to do edits using the "safe" templates ie Scenery Collection or Easy Landscapes and not using the Atmosphere tool. Sadly last night while I was doing composition tool on one picture, my software crashed again and I had to create a new catalog. How do I remove the picture from the catalog so I can reuse and keep the edits of the 25 other pictures I edited past 3 weeks?

Aida Gordon

I am curious as to why a global solution or fix isn't pushed out to all users or at least to those experiencing the crashes? Why is the solution emailed per person instead of published? Is it just renaming the Luminar AI Catalog and creating a brand new one? I've been doing this every time the software crashes. It's a band-aid solution. With several already submitting crash logs etc, the developers haven't been able to identify the common factors causing the crash? To everyone who reported problems here, I'm curious to know if your pictures are in RAW or large file sizes. So far I've noticed that the software doesn't crash if the image I'm editing is mega large ie RAW. In jpeg pictures from my phone, the software crashes intermittently when I use Atmosphere AI but it doesn't crash when I'm editing a RAW image so I wonder..

This software is hands down the worst app I have ever worked with. It crashed every few seconds and most of the work would be just gone. Absolute disaster

[This comment has been moderated]

Michael Smith

I like Luminar AI a lot, but the fact that it still crashes in conjunction with Sky AI and changes after inserting a new sky really sucks! I even bought a new gaming computer so that Luminar would run smoothly. Skylum please fix this bug asap.

Dominik

It´s a shame! No solution for this problem since 8 months??? Embarrassing...

Is there anyone who was helped by the support or is contacting and logging just more waste of time, like trying to edit more than 5 Pictures with Luminar AI?

Frequent reinstalling or catalog-switching does not count...it´s no solution!

robert Blanc

Same problem for me

I had to delete my catalog and to restart

Ray Blackburn

Constant crashing here too.  Have reported to tech support and will provide event log.  Can you provide an install link to revert to the prior version?

robert Blanc

already contacted

Ray Blackburn

Elena, this does not work.  

I received a support email suggestion to move an old catalog backup file into my main catalog directory and add .luminarai to the end of it.  Basically the same thing as renaming an existing catalog.

If you try to launch AI in the normal way, you don't have the chance to change catalogs before the software crashes.

I figured out that you can launch AI by double clicking on a catalog.  I did this with my restored backup catalog.

I successfully edited a few photos.  While doing some composition changes to a JPG, CRASH!!!!!  Program is gone again.

Özgür KAYA

I have same issue ,  it crashes after nearly 10 seconds  after it opens.

Bill Goldman

After trying all their suggestions, I gave up and got my money back. I built a new computer last summer specifically for photos and video. RYZEN 3900X with 64GB of ram and latest Windows 10 Pro. Continued to crash till I threw in the towel. I am stuck with Luminar 4 which continues to crash. It started crashing after they did a update. I bought AI believing that they would have fixed whatever was causing the problem in 4. They fooled me.

Chris Page

Guys, I was finding AI totally unusable not long ago, it did usually open but would just crash at random with no message of any sort (the updates have made no odds), standalone or as a lightroom plugin.

I did some rummaging in event viewer and as a result I have changed my page file setting - I have a 16Gb machine and with a page file of 24gb I am finding Luminar AI is now stable. 

I'm not saying it will solve your problem but for me it has made it reliable as the program is inexplicably memory hungry.

I do not use the system managed page file size so I don't know if there are any issues with that but if you've got the disk space it might be worth a shot at setting (I have 16Gb ram, I don't remember what size I started with but the system recommendation was 6.8Gb so was far too small for where I have ended up as stable).

Greg Lipps

anyone have any suggestions on performance improvement - Luminar AI is driving crazy! I have imported approx 200 photos for a job I concluded over the weekend.  When I move from one to the next, it is taking forever to render the photo to edit - about every other photo, it locks up and I end up "force quit" the app and starting over.  This has been going on for 3 days - I am running a brand new Mac M1 with 16 gb ram, fresh memory and I have installed the specific M1 version - I don't want to deal with the generic "contact customer support" response to never get a response and just be lumped in with the apparent multitude of users experiencing similar issues.

Solved the problem on a MacBook Pro. Tried to edit a JPG and this resulted in Luminar AI continually crashing even after trying to open a Cannon RAW CR2 file. Solved the problem by deleting the Cache file and all history logs. Not going to try an edit a JPG again. Will stick to RAW.

Deirdre Bridges

Having problem crashing after  using for 10 mins using windows 10

Please sign in to leave a comment.