is it true that Luminar 4 is going away?

Answered

Comments

9 comments

• Official comment
    Elena O'Brien

Hi Lynne Pariseau,

Right now the plan is to support Luminar 4 till mid 2022. We are for sure not abandoning it and will be releasing performance updates. One if coming very soon :)

Comment actions Permalink
    Roy Blackwell

Skylum support for Luminar 4 will end in about nine months. That said, L4 will continue to work so long as your operating system supports it. There may even be an update or two before end of support. 

Lynne Pariseau

and you know this how, Roy?

Roy Blackwell

Lynne Pariseau: I know this because I have read what Skylum has said in the past. 

Elena O'Brien: good to hear you have extended support by six months from the original twelve.

Lynne Pariseau

Elena, you mention that I have extended support by six months from the original 12.  Is this something that is done automatically or did I sign up for it somewhere? I don't remember doing so.  Also, I have a suggestion: now that it's clear that Luminar Ai is an entirely different program from Luminar 4 (as many of us thought) -- and given that AI does not expand upon L4's capabilities,  wouldn't it be best to create a L5 as an upgrade to L4?  as I mentioned, L4 is my go to editing program especially as a plugin.  If and when it goes away or my computer ceases to work with it, it would be a major loss to my editing process so it would be nice to have an L5 that just builds on L4 and keeps the features I bought it for. I cannot get AI to do even similar edits.   thanks.

John Robinson

Lynne, I'm interested how you get on with Photoshop Elements on a Mac. I'd welcome your comments, particularly if you use the Elements Organiser in preference to Apple's Photos (which I use). I have not used Photoshop Elements since 2015 but I do miss some of its tools.

I use Luminar 3 (which is no longer supported but works well for me) in preference to 4 unless I need to use the latter's tools. I'm thinking that Luminar 4 will be supported this year. Thereafter, I wonder whether it is supported will be down to the success, or not, of A1.  

Lynne Pariseau

hi John, PSE 2021 works well on my MacBook Pro (running Mojave).I don't use the Elements Organizer or Apple Photos -- I have my own way of organizing photos (almost like nested folders= year folder/month folder/sometimes a "special folder" like I had for my daughter's wedding)  

I use all the Luminar programs (I have them all) ONLY as plugins. 

I'm upset that Luminar won't be supported after 12 months - mostly because Luminar AI is a completely different program and so far I'm not impressed - Luminar 4 is excellent - so I wish they would just work on a more up to date version (Luminar 5) and have both programs available - they serve different purposes for me.

John Robinson

Lyne, thanks for your quick response. My view of Luminar seems almost a mirror image of yours!

Lynne Pariseau

John, probably a lot of people feel that way.  I was initially excited by Luminar AI but upon finally receiving it, I have found that I can make pretty much an identical photo using PSE and Luminar 4!!  I'm disappointed because I've loved pretty much all of MacPhun's and Skylum's previous products...

Please sign in to leave a comment.