Switching to Apple photos

Answered

Comments

8 comments

Margaret Bright

Hi John,

I am sorry to hear that. 

If you need any help with troubleshooting the issues you have encountered, our support team would be more than happy to assist you. Could you please inform them about the bugs that you have experienced in Luminar AI? 

You can get in touch with our team at https://skylum.com/support.

Comment actions Permalink
    Sergei Drovetski

Welcome to the team John!  I switch to using Luminar AI only as the Photos plugin some time ago.  Luminar AI is absolutely unusable as a stand alone.  Constant crushes, unreliable functions (some time edits are made but more frequently nothing happens), frequent inability to save edited files, constant loss of connection with catalogs and folders, resulting in loss of edits.  Just pathetic.  Works ok as a plugin for Photos though.

Margaret, the whole program is one big issue.  To troubleshoot, it has to be written in the way it is usable.

Christian Poulton

I made the same switch a couple of months ago and migrated my whole library from both Luminar 4 & Luminar AI over to Photos and now just use Luminar AI as a plug-in.

Although I never experienced any major issues with Luminar AI, I just didn’t trust building up my library within Luminar - from experience with Luminar 4, the larger the size of the library the slower the software ran. I also had missing image issues and on more than one occasion lost all my edits after being forced to create a new library.

These issues along with the total lack of development of the library / DAM within Luminar forced my hand. So far I haven’t looked back. The ability to use all the cataloging features within Photos, although not perfect, is so much better than within Luminar.

It’s very sad that Skylum decided to effectively ditch any idea of a workable DAM as initially this is what sold me to move to Luminar in the first place after Apple stopped support for Aperture.

John Blake

Sergei Drovetski Christian Poulton, Thanks for the reply guys.

I have now moved to Light Room as I love its stability and it's superb cataloging features.

I know there's a subscription, but for the year it's not that much more than paying for new (Lumiar) software per year or so.

I really like some of the editing features in L4 and AI, but sadly it's badly let down by flaky behaviour, not just with the catalog issues.

I thought exporting was just something that took time and stopped you from doing anything else, but LR exports super fast and does it in the background.

I understand that LR has been around for a lot longer so it's much more mature.

I really wanted to like L4 and AI, but sadly they are so badly let down by flaky performance.

So many times I have lost edits and complete catalogs and have had to start all over.

Cheers guys.

Christian Poulton

May I ask how you migrated the library from Luminar to Photos? I have just recently decided to stop using the catalogue features of luminar and move over to photos, but I cannot see a way to migrate the pictures without the need of re-editing all of them.

Sergei Drovetski

Christian,

The Luminar AI lost the connection to its catalog and all the edits so soon and so often that I managed to put only a couple of dozen pictures into it.  I was playing with editing to learn that part as well as as I was adding the pictures to the catalog.  So, when I got really tired of loosing the catalog and all the edits, it was not a big deal to switch to Photos.

Christian Poulton

I migrated my libraries using the application Avalanche for Luminar from Cyme - https://cyme.io

Mac only unfortunately but it works well enough although I exported just as finished files with the edits backed in. It was miles faster than exporting directly from Luminar. This was a one hit operation exporting all my photos as a batch.

Moving forward I'm using Luminar AI solely as a plug-in now.

That is a great tip, Christian Poulton! Thank you very much. I will definitely give it a try.

Please sign in to leave a comment.