Aurora HDR suddenly has no activation - activation fails

Answered

Comments

6 comments

Michael Knöbl

This was my post about 1 month ago...
    Dear all,
    while working on my photos Aurora HDR suddenly stopped working, claiming it's in "Testing Mode" and the wheel in the little window showing "remaining days" is spinning. 
    I entered my email and activation code several times, nothing changes. Auroa HDR doesn't start.
    I also disabled the firewall and antivirus, still the window pops up claiming "Authentification failed".
    As mentioned above: this happened suddenly while working on my photos!

Comment actions Permalink
    Michael Knöbl

Hmmm... after filling in my email and serial, it seems to work again... strange... 

Michael Knöbl

Problem seems to be solved... Aurora works again...

Marco Marrocco

Which begs the question(s):

1) Why is an active instance of Aurora still calling home to verify its activation? If this is to prevent activation abuse, the way it has been implemented is as customer-unfriendly as it gets. Not everyone is online all the time, especially not photographers.

2) At some point in the future, the activation services for legacy applications will (not just might) be decommissioned. Does Skylum still stand by their claim that the licenses are lifetime and the applications will run as long as the system requirements are met?

Just wondering. This is the second time people have been inconvenienced all of a suddden.

Regards,

--

Marco

Margaret Bright

Hi guys,

Michael, glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

Marco, could you please clarify if you are experiencing the same issue as Michael? Were you able to re-activate the app once more?

The last time the issue occurred, there was a glitch on our server, which was fixed within a couple of hours. Since that, it is the first time we receive a report regarding this issue, therefore at this time, we would need to investigate what could have caused the app to ask for activation again.

We absolutely stand by our promises - you will be able to use any app with your license key, even the legacy ones, as long as the app meets technical requirements. 

Marco Marrocco

Hi Margaret,

No, as a matter of fact this time around it did not affect me; it did, however, and for the good part of an entire day, the last time we were all kicked out of Aurora, a few weeks ago.

The fact that today's downtime has been comparatively shorter does not change that legitimate users have been locked out of their software for the second time in a row.

Now, the technical reasons behind the scenes may be different, I have no way of knowing that, but the end result was all the same, hence my questions:

Why does an application that does not list "you must be able to connect to the activation server at launch" as a requirement...effectively make it a requirement? And what will happen the day the activation server, for whatever reason, is gone for good?

(And yes, it does indeed sound like a requirement: a lot of times when I launch Aurora I see the button to buy a license in the corner for a split second before my activation is recognised, so even if being constantly online is hopefully not a strict requirement, there is still a visible delay from when you launch the application to when you are authorised to use it, and the recent downtimes have demonstrated things can go wrong).

Regards,

--

Marco

Please sign in to leave a comment.