How to get LuminarAI to use less memory?

Answered

Comments

34 comments

Helena Carter

Hi Member,

We're improving Luminar AI performance and optimizing RAM usage with each update. In fact, it's one of our key priorities right now. 

Nevertheless, it might depend on several factors such as your hardware configuration, Library size, and image format (it can take a bit more time to load RAW/TIFF/DNG files and generate the previews).

Could you please let us know the following

• How many images are there in your Library?
    • Are they located on the internal or external drive?

Also, as a workaround, I can suggest you to try dividing your Library into several Catalogs. It should improve Luminar AI speed.

To create a new catalog, go to File > Catalog > New. To switch between catalogs: File > Catalog > Open.

Comment actions Permalink

Hello, I typically have 5 photos in RAW at most since in my library but even that makes my computer run really slow. They’re also located in my external hard drive.

Kirk Osborn

At the moment, our devs have two major tasks: the algorithm performance improvements and resource use optimization.

These are large-scale tasks that in the long-term perspective will give the app a significant boost as well as increase the development speed. Therefore, please rest assured that every day Luminar is getting better. We hope you'll be there with us to see this progress. 

You may also try to reset your PRAM. This way, your computer will work faster. Here is how you can do that:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063 

Erik Yujuico

Yes but this is what you sold us on Luminar AI.  You said the old architecture (Luminar 4) was too memory intensive and the whole thing needed to be rewritten.  Now I am convinced you just used the same old code from Luminar 4 added more AI and charged us a second time.

Everytime someone asks a question about why it is so memory intensive you never acknowledge it, you just push to the side and ask them to send a message to your support team.  We need ways to solve this issue.  90 percent of us are running high end laptops or PC's so our systems are not the issue, it is the code.

Please, explain how you rewrote this entire app and it is just as slow as Luminar 4.

Geng Dennis

I just installed the update for Luminar AI.  The new 1.4 version demands a huge amount of memory and even more than the 1.3 version.  In fact after installing the program the computer crashed a couple of times and is extremely slow as long as it is working.   I have 12 GB Ram memory and I noticed after the update the memory can go from mid 50's to 90 or more.  Is there any workaround until the code is refined?

Katherine Nelson

Hi Geng Dennis,

Could you please let us know the following

• How many images are there in your Catalog?
    • Are they located on the internal or external drive?
    Geng Dennis
    Thank you Kathleen for your response.  I noticed something strange in my catalogue which is located in my Pictures directory.  The catalogue has 130 folders all of which are empty.  Now there were some pictures in my Luminar program from a previous edit I had done in Luminar AI ver 1.3.   Is it possible that the program struggled because it was working to edit on insufficient data?  I tried doing a Bokeh edit on a picture I found in the tray at the bottom of the screen.  Perhaps I need to repopulate my catalogue?

Dennis
    Geng Dennis

I meant Kathrine not Kathleen.  Oops!

Geng Dennis

The catalogue is located on the internal computer hard disk

Black Eyes

Hi Skylum Team,

As you mentioned 6-7 months, your priorities are *algorithm performance improvements and resource use optimization".

Any progress till now? It seems that 7 months later, the problems persist. No real improvment so far.

It's not good!

Hi team,

I bought this application and like others the ram usage is too much for my laptop, essentially I can't use it to edit one photo. So, I closed everything but this app but still the same. 

I noticed from the comments 6/7 months ago you were working on an update to rectify some of this, is there any update please?

All the best,

Mark 

Margaret Bright

Hi Mark,

We are improving the work of our algorithms and the overall performance with every update. 

Usually, the performance depends on the number of photos you have in your catalog, their format (it can take a bit more time to load RAW or TIFF files), your hardware configuration, and the place where you store your photos (it works faster when the photos are located on an internal drive).

Nevertheless, we are constantly improving the speed of the app to provide our artists with the best quality. In fact, it's one of our top priorities at the moment.

We can take a deeper look at the issue and see what may be causing it on your end and see if we can do anything to improve it. Please get in touch with our support team at https://skylum.com/supportand let them know your hardware configuration.

Click on Apple logo in the upper left corner of your screen, click About This Mac, and make a screenshot of the window that opens. Check out this article (click this text to open link) about making screenshots on Mac if you need help with that. Attach the screenshot to your support request.

Here is the video tutorial on how to retrieve your system infohttps://www.loom.com/share/4542009fcdb74570832982215caec9a1  

Matt Orth

Usually, the performance depends on the number of photos you have in your catalog, their format (it can take a bit more time to load RAW or TIFF files), your hardware configuration, and the place where you store your photos (it works faster when the photos are located on an internal drive).

As usual, Skylum blames the customer for their software’ s faults.

Helena Carter

Hi Matt Orth,

I'm sorry you feel this way. We do admit that there's indeed room for improvement in terms of performance and since we use some really powerful AI Tools, LuminarAI might indeed be quite resource-hungry. It's not an excuse, for sure, but a current software peculiarity. 

However, my colleague Margaret has given you advice and wanted to help you speed up your workflow a bit. And in this case, I would want to list some more factors that might have an influence on the software speed:

- Library size;
    - Where the images are located (an internal drive will give a better performance compared with an external drive);
    - Images' format (JPEGs will load a bit faster than RAWs, while also there might be some issues if you work with hi-res RAWs);
    - Your hardware configuration and free disk space (10GB free disk space at least is required);
    - Whether there are any processes running in the background.
    Black Eyes

As Mark, Luminar AI work very slowly on my computer. You wrote already 7 months that improving performance and optimizing resources are your priorities. Any improvements so far?

- iMac late 2015, i7 4GHz, 32 Gb RAM, 1 To Hard drive (600 Gb available)

- approx. 3000 pictures on internal drive. approx. 20Mo/each picture

- RAW-format: if I understood correctly, usually if one wants to edit pictures, RAW is better. I hope that Luminar AI is not designed for editing JPEG format.

- Just music playing in background.

Why Luminar AI is incredibly slow? 20-30 seconds just to have a picture to be clearly displayed. One parameter is changed then again 5-10 seconds before to see the result???

Geng Dennis

Thank you Helena for your post.  What you said to Matt an hour ago helps me a lot.  You said a minimum of 10 GB of Ram is needed.  I have 12 GB of Ram and I have had multiple issues after installing version 4 of Luminar AI.  Obviously I would have much less than 10 GB after loading windows and Luminar AI.  The threads that suggested checking the size of one's catalog weren't helpful in my case.  When I went to the catalog I found that all of the folders are empty.  That's strange.
    Anyway I trust that Luminar is tackling this memory issue and I must be patient or upgrade my computer to a more powerful machine.  Regards,

Dennis 

Helena Carter

Hi Black Eyes,

For most of our customers, LuminarAi performance has significantly improved during these 8 after LuminarAI release. 

As to your situation, would you mind to try dividing your Library into 2-3 smaller Catalogs, for instance? 

Working with several catalogs is pretty intuitive. You can create one per project, for instance, When you create a new catalog, you can add a descriptive name (e.g. the name of the project_Luminar AI Catalog) for quicker access. To switch between catalogs, you can click File > Catalog > Open Recent, in this case, there's no need to search around the folders in Explorer looking for the Catalog. The app will suggest the last used catalog files.

Geng Dennis,

It's my pleasure to assist you. I just meant 10GB free drive space, not RAM. However, as far as RAM concerned, the more the better :) Still, the minimum requirement is 8GB, while the recommended is 16GB. 

Black Eyes

Hi Helena,

I did not notice any performance or RAM optimisation the last 8 months.

I could see that there are some tricks. Now, the pictures are displayed or half-displayed (not clear, pixelised) a little more quickly, but they are not editable before 20-30 seconds. Finally for customer, there is no improvements, still have to wait 30 seconds before able to edit.

Perhaps I expressed not precisely. I have a library for 2021, there are 2300 pictures in the library. The pictures are stored in different folders or catalogs; in each catalog there are 10 - 100 pictures.

I have 600 Gb free on the hard drive and 32 Gb RAM on my iMac i7, 4GHz, late 2015.

Sorry but Luminar AI is just slow and high resources consuming. The slowness doesn't depend on my computer specs and the organisation of my library. It's not reliable as well, as links broke up twice with updates of Big Sur.

As unhappy customer, I expect that Skylum REALLY improve the software as you promised already 7 months.

I find that Luminar AI offers great pictures, but because of its low performance, if I could I would give back. Unfortunately I bought several set of templates that I cannot give back.

Blackeyes

Aaron Stone

Boy o boy this software sucks.. 

Windows 10

Intel 18 core i9 processor

128GB Ram

Qnap NAS via 10gb (1026mbps read and write)

One catalogue with 400 images.. each image takes about 10 seconds to render every time I make a change. Looks like it will take about 45 mins to export... I am a professional photographer/videographer and will work with this many images (and more) daily. This software is not useable.. 

Helga Hufflepuff

Black Eyes,

Sorry to hear the performance did not improve much. Note that we have just released 1.4.1 version. Have you already tried it? Some users report that performance did enhance a bit.

Aaron Stone,

We would kindly ask you to try editing the images located on internal drive for purpose of testing. Does Luminarᴬᴵ perform better in that case?

Black Eyes

I've just installed 1.4.1 version ... I could not see any performance improvement.

Test: I try to open an already edited picture and see the time Luminar AI needs to make the picture editable:

Version 1.4.?: 19 - 20 seconds

Version 1.4.1: 19- 20 seconds

Yes, I have to wait 20 seconds before to be able to edit a picture, then each modification need a couple more seconds to be performed ... even just for increasing/decreasing Exposition.

PS: I have recorded the trials, I can send to you. Please give the link

Agatha Winter

Hi Black Eyes,

Here's how you can send us the file:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request at https://skylum.com/support 
    Black Eyes

I've just re-tried with version 1.4.1 (previous records had family pictures).

30 seconds before picture becomes editable!!!

Download link: https://we.tl/t-rLu8Jwf0iQ 

Geng Dennis

I'm having severe challenges with the new Luminar AI update.  Version 1.4.1 is really causing havoc on my computer.  I have downloaded the new update repeatedly and then have gone to install it.  After installing it the program disappears from my computer.  I reopen Luminar AI and I get the message that a new update is available:  ver 1.4.1.  Without trying again to install it I check on Luminar if new updates are available.  After a period of time the program vanishes again from the computer.

I am patient but frustrated.  I think the new bokeh section is phenomenal.  But how do I get Luminar to stabilize.  That is my problem.

I still appreciate the new AI technology in Luminar but must be patient for a solution to be offered.

Dennis

Agatha Winter

Hi Black Eyes - Could you please resend this link with a brief description of your issue with the performance to our support team via https://skylum.com/support ? Thanks in advance!

Agatha Winter

Hi Dennis,

Can you please try reinstalling Luminarᴬᴵ? Please follow the steps below:

Uninstall Luminar.

How to uninstall an app on Windows 10 (click this text to open link).

Clear your registry:

• Visit https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download?pc
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the table and click Download from CCleaner.com in the first column.
    • Once the download has finished, launch the file and install CCleaner on your computer.
    • Launch CCleaner.
    • Click Registry on the left.
    • Click Scan for Issues in the lower left. Wait for the scan to finish.
    • After the scan has finished, click Fix Selected Issues in the lower right.
    • Close CCleaner.

Reboot your PC.

Download the latest version of Luminarᴬᴵ from here: 

https://downloads.skylum.com/luminarai/installer/win/LuminarAISetup.exe 

Once the installer has finished downloading, locate it in your Downloads folder (or wherever you chose to save it), right-click the file, and click Run As Administrator. A prompt might appear asking you whether you wish to confirm your action, click Yes and wait for the installer to load. Then, follow the instructions on the screen.

I really hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Black Eyes

Hi Agatha & Users,

I've done PRAM reset ... it still needs 20 seconds before picture becomes editable.

How long you need to have the picture editable???

Thanks for your feedback

Rob August

I have 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram, 8tb drive, i9 8 core and it is still running very slow, even exporting pictures takes an extremely long time

Sorry to say that but at its current state Luminar AI is just broken I use it with a Ryzen 9 3900x 12 Core and a Radeon 3090 Trinity and this Program uses 24 GB on a 1920*1080 JPG ! the Pictures are on the Internal Drive and earesed the Catalog but even then it uses up to 14 GB or 20 of my 32 GB RAM this is rly sad cause what the Programm does is awsome but atm its rly broke fix it please.

Matmer

Unable du use Luminar AI nor Luminar 4 : The 2 Sotwares are to Slow on my INTEL Core I7-7500 with 16GB Memory + Internal SSD with only 10 pictures in a Folder !!!
    Sorry to say what, but I bought another Software.

Please sign in to leave a comment.