High-end PC, Slow Luminar AI Performance

Answered

Comments

68 comments

Elena Blum

Hi Jim,

Please contact our support team https://skylum.com/support and we will do our best to take a closer look at what’s going on right away.

Could you please let us know the following

• How many images are there in your Library?
    • Are they located on the internal or external drive?
    Comment actions Permalink
    Julien Ryckoort

Hi, same problem for me here.

- Windows 10 64 bit

- AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Processor

- 32 GB RAM

- 1 TB SSD (Around half free space)

I also use Fuji RAW Files (.RAF) from an X-T3 and performances are dissapointing.

Everything is slow: switching between tabs, images, apply a model, even adjust a single cursor... I always have seconds to wait between actions !

And finally the export... 30 seconds / file into jpeg.

Files AND Catalog are located on the SSD (Samsung EVO 970 M.2 Nvme). I tried with a catalog of 15 photos, same problem.

Eveything is usually super fast with all other conccurent softwares.

I hope this will be solved in the following 2-3 weeks, or I will have to ask for a refund. Luminar Ai could be a market killing software for editing photos, seems very nice. But it is impossible to work if it remains slow and laggy like this.

Julien Ryckoort

To add a comment:

I tried with a Catalog of JPEG files and it runs with decent performances. Not exceptionnal but it can do the job.

But the goal is to work with my RAW files, so I think you should really work on performances with RAW files.

Kirk Osborn

At the moment, our devs have two major tasks: the algorithm performance improvements and resource use optimization.

These are large-scale tasks that in the long-term perspective will give the app a significant boost as well as increase the development speed. Therefore, please rest assured that every day Luminar is getting better. We hope you'll be there with us to see this progress. 

Meanwhile, please try increasing the size of your pagefile as in the example:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/how-to-increase-virtual-memory-in-windows-10-a/46dacaf5-15cf-4f5d-9d5a-cba1401ae4c9 

Please also try to clear your memory:
    https://www.easeus.com/computer-instruction/clear-memory-and-increase-ram.html 

Kimberly Hamers

Jim Nance & Julien Ryckoort any improvements since the latest update?

I'm in the process of buying a new PC with similar specifications, so I like to know what I'm in for.

(Currently I have 8GB RAM so surely it can't be worse)

Martin Evgeniev

Kimberly Hamers the performance is still unacceptable. I have Ryzen 5950x with 32 threads 64GB Ram, NVMe Samsung 980 PRO and Radeon 5700XT (Luminar does not have HW acceleration). It takes almost 20sec to export 41mpx RAW file to JPEG. Luminar is using all my 32 threads and the performance is just  awful.

I've stopped using Luminar an year ago in favor of other SW which support HW acceleration and its blazing fast using only 20% of my CPU... Just occasionally using Luminar for the AI stuff, skies etc..

From my experience the last years they never improved the performance. Luminar works a bit better on MacOS but in Windows is bad as hell... And I can assure you that Windows have much much better drivers and HW support than MacOS...

This is not a random rant it's a fact that Skylum will not fix their poor performance ever...

Koua Lo

I agree.  I am a fan of Luminar products (I have several), including AI.  As of right now, it is excruciating slow using Luminar AI.  I have an i9900k overclocked to 5GHz with 64GB RAM, RTX2080Ti, and all SSD/NVMe drives and it takes forever (about 30-40 seconds) to just pick out an image to edit from the catalog tab because most of them are just black/space holders.  And once I click on a thumbnail in Catalog, it takes another 20 seconds for AI to open/process the file for full view. And if you should scroll while viewing the Catalog, every thumbnail gets regenerated (seems like it) or the new images are just black squares until AI can deal with it again (another 30-40 seconds).

All my RAW files hover around the 42MB range with my Sony a7R III, and I normally have roughly 200-400 shots per day or so.  Exporting processed images are also quite slow - roughly 40-50 secs per export.

I read the posts above to suggest I increase my pagefile or clear my memory.  With 64GB RAM, I have yet to see my system run into memory space issue.  I would say, of the two tasks you mentioned above, you should focus on making the UI more responsive - more specifically, browsing the Catalog and opening an image for viewing.  As of right now, I loath opening, browsing or search for images in my catalog to edit. I literally have to view my images (thumbnail) in Windows Explorer and single import the ones I think may be worth editing into AI.

What a mess.

Helga Rowles

Hi Koua,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us.
    We will definitely keep improving Luminar performance.

In the meantime, I'd recommend trying to work with a smaller catalog. To create a new catalog, choose File > Catalog > New. Add a small folder from your internal drive to check whether it improves the experience.

Working with several catalogs is pretty intuitive. You can create one per project, for instance, When you create a new catalog, you can add a descriptive name (e.g. the name of the project_Luminar AI Catalog) for quicker access. To switch between catalogs, you can click File > Catalog > Open Recent, in this case, there's no need to search around the folders in Explorer looking for the Catalog. The app will suggest the last used catalog files.

Dominic Diechle

Hello,

my copy of Luminar is also very very slow. I haven an Intel 4790k processer, 250GB SSD, 5700XT graphics card and 16gb ram. The performance is very slow compared to Adobe Lightroom. I am using Fuji raw files and each step takes very long, especially loading and editing of files. My catalog is nearly empty.

Bartosz Sorokin

Same here,

Intel i7 10th Gen 32gb Ram 1TB internal SSD geforce GTX1650

after several email with customer support team (which is brilliant very kind polite and helpful) I'm giving up. Cant work on this slow performing software anymore. Shame because I really like the look of it, if it only works the way it should. I can edit my RAWs on free of charge SNAPSEED on my phone.

Koua Lo

Well, I doubt many people have the option to go out and purchase another/new M1 Mac, but it appears AI runs much better on M1 macs. It also integrates directly with Apple’s Photos app, which is much nicer than what is natively in AI at the moment. However, with that said, I get memory warnings via Cleanmymac x every 1 minute or so. Sure enough, every image I edit, AI chews through RAM like crazy. I have the 16GB Ram version, which is currently the highest option available. Each edit brushes against max RAM.

The good news is that it doesn’t crash as macOS is pretty good at dealing with badly written/unoptimized apps. So I turned off the warning messages and was able to work with AI reasonably well.

Still, editing a 48MB raw file and eating my entire system RAM shows AI isn’t optimized at all. 

I do not have anything new to add here.  

With Fuji raw files this software is frustrating and unusable.  I only use it for a very select number of photos.  Everything else get processed extremely fast in Adobe LR.  

I have a Pentium i7 here, 16gb of memory, Lightroom runs fast and clean, Polarr runs fast and clean, ANY OTHER SOFTWARE RUNS STABLE AND CLEAN ON THE COMPUTER!
    But for Luminar, I should change the pagefile, right? Should I change the catalog size, right?
    I wait ONE week. Then I want my money back.

Mark Chamberlain

Working with raw files in Luminar Ai brutally slow compared to LR. I thought it was just me until I went on this page. Waste of money at this point. Their advice solves nothing on my end

Agatha Winter

Hi Mark,

I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience with our software. 

Usually, the performance depends on the number of photos you have in your catalog, their format (it can take a bit more time to load RAW or TIFF files), your hardware configuration, and the place where you store your photos (it works faster when the photos are located on an internal drive).

Could you please contact our support team https://skylum.com/support and let them know the following:

• Are they located on the internal or external drive?

Thanks in advance!

Dominic Diechle

The optimization of Luminar AI is really bad. The code is so slow even onvery fast pcs. Adobe optimized LR already years ago and now it is fast enough for my raw files. Skylum needs to work on the speed of AI otherwise the software is useless. Don't bring out every year the newest features but work on the problems of the existing user base. I will not at all buy a new version of such a slow software.

Helga Hufflepuff

Hi Member,

Our team is definitely working on optimization enhancements and we hope to improve it with each update. Appreciate you sharing your honest feedback. I can assure you that this problem is not left unattended.

The only reason that could make me buy Luminar AI is the optimization. I'm trying to use Luminar 4 as much as I can, but it's so slow that it happens to me to either go on another software if I have too many pictures, either just drop the editing and never going back on my photos.

I have an AMD Ryzen 9 5950x and a RTX 3090, 64GB of ram, my pictures are on a 970 EVO Pro but just loading the picture is already crazy slow, and it's only pictures from an old Canon 70D, I don't even imagine with better cameras.

And the worst is that I saw many subject for the optimization from at least Luminar 3.
    Before trying to put new features, I think you should focus more on the base of the software, it's just too painful to use only for this reason.

I have better performances when using darktable which is a free open source software :(

Hippo

I also have a Ryzen 5900, 32 GB RAM and Geforce RTX 2070 and its unnecessarily slow. Luminar AI needs to be programmed to utilize hardware acceleration, it doesn't make sense for it to be programmed to only use CPU cores when we have high-end GPUs to support it.

Serkan Duzler

It looks like Skylum asked this question a couple of times in response;

Well how many do you think there should be? I've just paid for the program and seriously thinking to cancel my order after using it twice.

Yeah, it shouldn't be a problem, but even with 5~6 images in the library it's still slow...

I just saw the announce of Luminar Neo with "lighting-fast performances" in the communication.
    I hope it's true, but it was already the promise for the last releases...

Martin Evgeniev

@Jdelefosse, lighting-fast is how they stop releasing updates to their software. I first bought Luminar 3 in 2018, ever since they released new version every year and abandon the support for the previous release. 
    I remember an article when the CEO saying how against he is about subscription model from other companies like Adobe... but hey lets abandon our software every year and then publish new one and charge you ~$80.

And BTW, AI and performance in the same sentence smells really bad xD

Wish I'd seen this thread before purchasing last week - am finding the slowness of Luminar AI incrediby frustrating and it's taking the joy out of editing photos. Back to LR it is.

Chris Marney

I am still using Luminar 2018 as it runs ok on my Windows 10 PC. I have purchased both Luminar4 and AI and although I like the software they kill my PC and usually crash. I moved most of my photo files to an external disk to try and speed things up but it made no difference.

Elena Blum

Hi Chris Marney,

It might depend on several factors such as your hardware configuration, Library size, and image format (it can take a bit more time to load RAW/TIFF/DNG files and generate the previews).

Could you please let us know your hardware configuration?

N.B. The links are clickable and show the screenshots that can guide you, if necessary.

Here is the video tutorial on how to retrieve your system infohttps://www.loom.com/share/97aff7951ee3412daa020f1d88eb36e8     

Dominic Diechle

Does anyone have experience using a new Apple M1 Pro or M1 Max processor in the MacBook together with Luminar AI? Is it a usable with raw images or also incredible slow? If it is usable, what configuration did you choose? Thanks a lot in advance.

Yes, same problem here - brand new high end PC and almost every element of Luminar AI runs unusably slow. 

Ryzen9 5900X 12 Core, 64Gb RAM, GeForceRTX 3080 TI

Win10 OS, Luminar Application, and catalogue (82 RAW images from 1 shoot) all running on the same NVME M2 SSD - Samsung 980 Pro.

I bought the black Friday deal with NEO included - I'll keep my fingers crossed for NEO, Luminar AI is basically unusable.

Hippo

There is ZERO support for this software. Whoever decided to make a graphics program to not utilize HARDWARE acceleration with GPUs needs to be fired. This is common sense.

Warning for people who want to buy: DO NOT PURCHASE ANY LUMINAR PRODUCTS UNTIL THEY SUPPORT HARDWARE ACCELERATION.

Kua Lilo

I posted about this issue on 5/21/21. This issue is unchanged. No communication other than the standard “thanks for your feedback” response. At this point, there is zero hope for using this software in my workflow. Do not buy this until the developers give confirmation that this has been resolved and tested in the real world. I’m very disappointed.

Please sign in to leave a comment.