Crashing on M1 Mac Pro

Answered

Comments

12 comments

Elena O'Brien

Hi Roger Spencer,

Could you please let me know if it happens with images of specific size/format or does it happen with every singe image? Does it happen when you apply a specific tool before the crash?

Do you happen to get any error messages after the crash? If so, a screenshot would be very appreciated.

Comment actions Permalink
    Eric

Not that it matters but there’s no such thing as a M1 Mac Pro. It’s either a M1 MacBook Pro 13” or a M1 Mac Mini.

Having same issue with M1 Mac mini 16GB.  Worked great for couple days, started to do a radial sharping mask on a NEF file today and system crashed.  Would not recover with simple app reopen.  I rebooted M1 system and still getting crashes on opening AI.  About to attempt to delete app and re-download.  

Helga Rowles

Hi!
    > Would not recover with simple app reopen. - you mean reopening the app with the Option key, right?

Just in case you haven't tried it yet, please do the following:

• Hold down the Option key on your keyboard and start Luminar. Keep holding Option until you see a window with a list of available backups appear.
    • Select a backup that has been created prior to when you encountered the issue with the library and click Restore from Backup.

If the issue persists, please open Finder and locate the image you were working with. Try moving it to a folder that is not linked to Luminar.
    I hope this help!

Update - Only after deleting Luminar AI and its supporting catalog folder with all contents then a re-install was I able to get the app to open successfully :(.  Not a great start for an app I purchased 2 days ago but at least I am up and going again.  Activity monitor was showing a huge CPU spike at crash > 200+% utilization, I can only assume it happened as Luminar attempted to check catalog folder for cache data/parameters/logs at load since killing catalog folder seems to correct issue.  If crashing happens again, I will delete that folder 1st to confirm.  Do we have a date on the native M1 version release.

Angela Andrieux

Hi LeicaLowe,

I'm glad to hear you're back up and running. We are in the process of actively developing for native M1 support, but I don't have a release date that I can share yet.

Julian Armstrong

Could you kindly give me/us an update on this as of the beginning of March?  I am running both Luminar 4 and AI on an old iMac (2009!) and would love to upgrade, but this is not a good story at the moment..

Helga Rowles

Hi Julian - both Luminar 4 and Luminar AI run fine on M1 Macs thanks to Rosetta 2.

If the apps are crashing on your Mac, it's likely that your processor doesn't meet our system requirements. Our software requires at least Intel® Core™ i5:
    https://manual.skylum.com/ai/en/topic/technical-requirements  
    If that's not the case, please reach us at skylum.com/support regarding the issue you're facing.

Julian Armstrong

Thanks.  There is a misunderstanding:  my iMac, despite its great age, runs Luminar products beautifully.  There are other reasons I want to upgrade (in fact because Apple Photos is giving me grief).  My question was a follow-on from the posts above which suggest that Luminar products do NOT run well on M1, even under Rosetta 2.   Your comment is reassuring.  M1 native support would be even nicer.

On a competely different note, I like Luminar 4 a lot more thatn Luminar AI.  I hope very much that Skylum will not ditch the former for the latter...

Julian...
    I have a new M1 Mac with 16GB ram. I have had at least 3-4 crashes so far. Looking forward to Skylum releasing M1 version... it’s a nuisance have to delete folders to recover. Don’t think this impacts your iMac.

Julian Armstrong

Helga, I think the comment a couple of hours ago commenting on my post rather well describes the issue.  Skylum maintains that the software works on M1 machines, but the experience of Member and of others earlier this year suggests that there may still be difficulties of some kind.  An indication of when Skylum will issue another, more reliable update would be extremely welcome

Elena Blum

Hi Julian,

At the moment, Luminar 4 and Luminar AI can launch and operate via Rosetta 2 on new Macbooks with the M1 chip.

The native support is in the works, it's expected that it will be launched later in 2021.

Please sign in to leave a comment.