Sky Replacement is a fun feature when it decides to work

Answered

Comments

4 comments

Kevin Schuchmann

I am with you. Try green screening your original sky with a sky color. Works for me when the software makes bad choices.

Comment actions Permalink
    Kate Williams

Hi John

The Sky Replacement feature works with the images where there's a clearly visible, boring sky. It works with the skies from dawn until dusk, it's not designed to work with the dark night sky images, especially when there's little sky to start with.
    Nevertheless, I've shared your samples with our team so they could use them when training the neural network as well. 

Ionel Istrati

Hey Kate, I'm really curious how do you guys train the sky detection and replacement including reflections, like do you make a lot of very precise masks manually for each training image? And for reflections you make realistic edits to remove the reflection + reflection ID mask? Seems like a lot of precise work

Kate Williams

Hi Ionel,

We use a combined approach using classical methods of image processing and neural networks. In computer vision tasks, in particular, to find objects such as the sky and reflections in water, most often, we use a convolutional neural network. We do make a lot of precise masks, so there's indeed a lot of detailed work behind the scene :) As for the sky reflections, the sky and the area in the water are manually annotated as separate objects to reflect the sky.

Please sign in to leave a comment.