Luminar AI complaint: missing layers and photo filters

Answered

Comments

8 comments

Anastasia Davis

Hi! Thanks for your honest opinion. We do believe that the Local Masking tool is all that you need.

Nevertheless, I will forward your thoughts to the person in charge.

Comment actions Permalink

Thank you for answering. 

Imagine that I have a very simple landscape picture: the bottom half is filled with grass fields, the top half consists of a cloudy sky.

Now, I want to increase the AI structure of the green fields to bring out the details of the grass while at the same time I would like to make the sky look more dreamy, less defined and reduce the AI structure. 

How can I do this with local masking? So far I could not find a solution. Could you please help me?

Mark Rosher

I have to admit defeat. I'm re-downloading Luminar 4. I really can't be arsed to have to keep looking for ways to do things that used to be easy with layers. But I'm also checking out the competition. I really think this quest for automatic brilliance is harming what used to be a very fine piece of software.

Bruce Maeda

OP: And please do not answer with the conventional PR statement that I have seen on the forum many times already: "the local masking feature is so cool, you need no layers".

Response: We do believe that the Local Masking tool is all that you need.

So technically, not the conventional PR response, but not helpful.  Then no response to the follow up question asking for help.  I have been with Luminar from the beginning, but am looking at the competition, too.  

ELEFTHERIOS ANGELAKIS

I loved and advertised Luminar to colleagues and students of mine. We often use it as a stand - alone program.

Where is the mask tool?
    I can't see how I can do the things I could do using the local masking...
    Please help!

I want for example to remove details from the background of a portrait without affecting the subject.
    I want to enhance only my subject without the background...
    Please tell me how...
    Is that no longer possible?
    The mask icon appears and dissapears
    Only local masking is there with limited oprions...

Bruce Maeda

The real frustration is we are told layers are not important, as the (limited) masking tool will suffice, yet among the highly touted features of Luminal Neo is LAYERS!  So the solution is (pay more) and get Neo.  

Agatha Winter

Hi Bruce - I understand your confusion. But the thing is that these two applications serve two different purposes.

In short, Luminar AI is ideal for those who prefer quick edits and template-based result-oriented workflow.

In its turn, Luminar Neo is for those who want more editing options and more creative control. 
    Whether to purchase Neo or not is completely up to you.

Agatha Winter

Hi ELEFTHERIOS,

Are you referring to Luminar Neo? Please kindly note that this thread is dedicated to Luminar AI.

Mask AI and Portrait Background Removal AI tool will be added to Luminar Neo in the next major update. In the meantime, you can use layers to achieve your purposes. 

If it's not the case, please, reach out to us via https://skylum.com/support and we will take a closer look at your case.

Please sign in to leave a comment.