Apple ProRAW format support

Answered

Comments

49 comments

• Official comment
    Helena Carter

Hi Andrey,

I have replied to you here: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360010210520

Comment actions Permalink
    Andrey Rudenko

Hi Helena,

thank you for your much better reply. You wrote:

== " For now, there's no ETA for this to be added, however, I will make sure to forward your feedback to our developers. it should help prioritize this request." ==== 

I hope that Skylum will adopt Apple ProRAW ASAP and wouldn't join the "wrong" side like for example DxO did. Hope also, like many your customers, to hear from you soon here hoe developers could reply this question.

Could they do that promptly? 

Thank you!

Andrey Rudenko

Hi Helena,

Could you please tell us if there's an answer from the developers? Your last comment was posted 8 days ago.

Thank you!

Helga Rowles

Hi Andrey,

We don't have an ETA for the update including official Apple ProRAW support yet.

Jan Erik

Hi.

Please do not neglect the ProRaw support. Apple is said to have sold between 1.7 million and 2 million units of the iPhone 12 in its first 24 hours of preorder availability. With this much interest, I would think it is of upmost importance to have support for the users that take photos with ProRaw enabled. Luminar I such a great program and it trailers perfectly to phone shooters aswell as mirrorless-/DSLR shooters.  

Hi Helga Rowles Helena Carter

Is there any more news regarding supping Apples ProRaw support? It seems to me that if there is a photo editing app perfectly placed to take advantage of Apple’s computational photography it would be Luminar considering its basis in AI driven editing. Also to stay competitive against Lightroom it would make sense to support it as Lightroom already does. Hope to hear more soon. 

Kate Williams

Hi Member,

The app opens these DNG files, however, there's a known issue with how the image displayed in the main edit window. We expect to get it resolved in one of the following updates. Please be on the lookout for our upcoming releases. 

Rafael Najmanovich

Can we please have full support for proRAW in Luminar AI now? You're missing out on engaging a large section of photographers that will otherwise feel compelled to have to use competing software instead.

Derik Tran

It doesn't look like v1.5 addresses this.  Will it be in the pipeline?  

Margaret Bright

Hi Derik,

Our team is working on implementing full support for Apple ProRAW in one of the future updates. Please stay tuned for upcoming updates!

Derik Tran

That is AWESOME!  Appreciate the quick response.

BC Evans

Hi :) I'm also wondering if Luminar Neo will support Apple ProRAW. Thanks!

Andrey Rudenko

Me personally, I'm wondering if Luminar AI will support Apple ProRAW. That was my INITIAL question 😂

It seems that here's no chances... Hélas 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️ 

Robert Kresek

It is now November 2021 and it appears that Proraw is still not supported.  Will this ever happen?  While the iPhone is not my main camera, I would like to use Luminar for all my RAW editing. 

Andrey Rudenko

The company is probably convinced that Apple ProRAW support is completely adequate. Pity, that they think  like that.

Helga Hufflepuff

Hi everyone,

We do plan to improve the way Luminar opens and processes ProRAW photos, however, there is no set timeline at the moment. Our team is gathering similar feedback to hopefully speed the improvement process up. We do appreciate everyone's input.

Andrey Rudenko

Hi Helga, sorry to say that but there is no set timeline since one year already? Just take a brief look at the discussion's start date... Hope we are speaking about Luminar AI and not Luminar Neo? I don't want to buy another bag of empty promises, sorry...

Helga Hufflepuff

I understand you, Andrey. Yes, I mean Luminar AI. We still support it and plan to release new updates, which will hopefully include full ProRAW support.

Louis Quah

Hi

Would like to follow up on LuminarAi support Apple ProRAW. Any timeline for the next update?

Robert Kresek

Someone at Skylum should realize that Apple has sold more iPhones cameras with ProRAW than every other camera model combined.   Skylum is missing a major market opportunity and if I had realized they did not support ProRAW, I would not have purchased AI 2022 or Neo.  Wish I could get a refund since they don't work with with any of the photos I take on my iPhone.

One App Extension that I found that works well is RAW Power by Gentlemen Coders.  They make both a Mac and IOS versions that work much better than Apple's native tools, especially the automated Magic Wand.  

BC Evans

Hi, Helga :)

Hope you're doing well. I had mentioned this before, maybe in another thread about this, but when you say, "We still support it and plan to release new updates, which will hopefully include full ProRAW support." Without a specific and truthful comment that developers are actually working diligently on this, that ends up not meaning much of anything. Nothing personal, and maybe that's the response they're instructing you to say, but the word "hopefully" may actually mean, without actually saying it, "We don't really think there are enough users who care about this, so we'll just use the words "hopefully someday" to calm down the users who do. In which case from the users who do care's perspective we can assume this may never be added and Luminar AI will be software not supporting Apple ProRAW. That would be a shame. 

Thanks for the reference to the other software Robert. I'll check that out. 

Andrey Rudenko

Hi guys,

After a year of these pointless discussions with Skylum's support, here on the forum, also on Luminar Insider portal I can suggest that they don't really do anything to realise even the basic Apple ProRAW support. Just this simple "no ETA", ha-ha. seriously?... The same senseless bandwagon like DxO software if we're speaking about Apple ProRAW format support - just no answer.

Since some time I started using again the Adobe Lightroom + Adobe Photoshop + Pixelmator Pro (sometimes) and everything is working like a charm: smooth and flawless. Surprisingly the monsters are more flexible than a relatively fresh company with expressed ambitions...   

I'm barely would buy Luminar license if I could know such an inattentiveness to user's needs...

BC Evans

You know Luminar, it seems you don't really see the opportunity of developing your software to work effectively with Apple ProRAW. If you did develop it to fully work and then passed that info to YouTube photography channels, of which there are tons, they'd no doubt promote this heavily. And you'd sell a ton of software. Perhaps you're a bit behind the times by being more focused on other DSLR forms of RAW formats. And/or you're focused on newbies who want to edit their .jpg files. An increasing number of people are more heavily using their phones now to shoot photos as upper end phones continue to develop. And an increasing number of those are people using Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 13 Pro & Pro Max phones, and also will be using the iPhone 14 Pro Max when it comes out next year. You're missing a golden opportunity. 

I also asked if Luminar Neo would support this. But no one answered. Assuming it would be the same answer that it would be considered to be included in future updates. Again that really doesn't mean much of anything. 

I purchased both Luminar AI and Luminar Neo and intend to shoot lots of photos in Apple ProRAW format. Perhaps I'll have to edit those with other software.  

Hope to hear soon Apple ProRAW is now fully supported. But not waiting. I'll move on. 

Derik Tran

Question. Anyone with Lightroom CC? If you import through Lightroom and use the plug-in, would it work then since it creates a Tiff file instead? I'm just wondering as I want proraw support already. I also bought neo before I realized not ai and neo doesn't support it. I hope this comes out already.

kumppa

I would also like to see Apple ProRAW support in Luminar AI. I suppose we don't have any news regarding to this?

Andrey Rudenko

Nope...

Helena Carter

Hi,

I completely understand how you guys are waiting for the Apple ProRAW support, however, right now there's no ETA for this yet. Please, stay tuned!

hello, there is some news about it? And for the next app Luminar NEO? the developers have updated the program for the compatibility to Apple Pro Raw?

Andrey Rudenko

Hi, it seems that there’s still no automatic support as it should be done (like in Lightroom for example). Nope is the answer.

it's incredible... I'll ask e refound. Tks for the answer

Please sign in to leave a comment.