Luminar AI Destroys Critical Metadata

Answered

Comments

75 comments

Agatha Winter

Hi Riaan,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you encountered and will do our best to help you. Can you please reach out to us via https://skylum.com/support so we can look into this? Also, please specify what cameras do you use. Thank you.

Please note that usually, we reply within 24 hours, however, due to Luminar AI release, we receive a great number of emails, thus, it might take us a bit longer to get back to you. Hope for your understanding. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Thomas Sedin

Seems to have a similar problem.

Use Photo Mechanic to ingest and update metadata (adding keywords and people included in the image) before editing in Luminar AI. When saving edits all the metadata is gone and just left with that in camera.

Mainly photo sports (soccer) and metadata are crucial. Bought Luminar AI to get a quick and timesaving edit that was one of the big argument for the product. But if this doesn´t work it´s the opposite, time-consuming.

Kate Williams

Member,

Please note that since we don't support IPTC metadata / keywording at this time, as much as we'd love to, we cannot guarantee that this data will be fully preserved during the export. 

The software should preserve EXIF metadata, though. If that's not the case for you, this is something that should be investigated by our team. Please file a support request at https://skylum.com/support 

Cliff Bramlett

Why isn't that a built-in function? That seems like a requirement of any software marketing to photographers of any type. Exif data should be visible and (reliably) editable in both catalog and single-image views, including edit mode.

Sebastian Kahlcke

This bug is still not fixed!! My workflow: Export from lightroom to luminar - edit the picture - saving ->back to lightroom. This results in deleted exif-timestamps. That´s bad - in fact for me it is so bad, that i can´t use luminar for the moment. This workflow works fine with photoshop and x-transformer from irident. Please fix this issue. 

Riaan Roux

This bug is ongoing, and it is one of the big reasons I have given up using Luminar products.  I purchased Luminar 3, Luminar 4 and then AI, but now it has been broken and I no longer use it.  Luminar has become a junk product and where I used to highly recommend it I now strongly advise my followers and fans to avoid Luminar as they simply cannot fix problems and have made the workflow process horribly slow.  The idea is great and I wish another company will take this great idea and rewrite the software to efficiently do what Luminar fails in miserably. 

Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support so we could investigate your files.

Sebastian Kahlcke

Kirk - you dont need files for that, this occurs with every file exportet from Lightroom or Photoshop to Luminar AI.

Doug Farr

I have just purchased AI and I wouldn't have if I knew about this.

I will not be renewing or updating it if it isn't fixed.

Waste of money as Exif data is crucial to my photography.

Why release a product that isn't better than the previous.

Back to Topaz for me

Riaan Roux

It also seems support/developers simply do not have the software/programming knowledge to fix this as they still haven't figured out how to fix this.

Kate Williams

Hi, 

If you're using Luminar as a Lightroom plugin, please make sure to invoke the plugin this way:
    Right-click on the image > Export >  LuminarAI > You have an option to Open Source Files or, if you've made any changes in Lightroom that you'd like to transfer over to LuminarAI, you can also choose Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments.

EXIF should be preserved this way.

However, Lightroom's star rating / title can be lost. That's a known issue that's under investigation right now. 

Jean Maisonneuve

Kate,

I also have the same issues.  I tried your "Right-click on the image > Export >  LuminarAI > You have an option to Open Source Files" but I'm still left with the same no metatada results. disappointing.  Please fix this soon.

Helena Carter

Hi Jean,

Please, reach us out via skylum.com/support so we could look deeper into this.

Hasn't it been fixed yet? it's kind of frustrating. It'll be useless until it gets fixed.

Jean Maisonneuve

Helena.  The problem is simple and well documented above.  I don't know what else to say.  I need time/date metadata and keywords to work when I use the Luminar Plugin in Lightroom (my workflow). It doesn't work today and hasn't worked since I bought Luminar AI 3 months ago.  Please fix that known and documented problem ASAP.  Thanks.

Riaan Roux

Support is incredibly unhelpful suggesting stupid fixes like "Re-Install" or "Try it on another PC".  This is a VERY BASIC software problem due to poor programming.  it is NOT intermittent and is easily reproducible. 

JUST FIX IT

Manolis Nikolakakis

I have the same issue and as much as I understand everyone have it too. As my first steps of my workflow includes rating and keywording in Lightroom, using Luminar as an intermediate step erases all crucial metadata. Please address this, it is already 7 months from the first comment!

David Hunt

I have the same issue too. I add keywords to every image I import to LightRoom to assist with ongoing image management. I use a variety of editing tools. Everyone preserves the keywords EXCEPT Luminar. So when Luminar returns the TIFF image to LightRoom, I have to select the original image, copy the keywords then add them back into the image returned from Luminar.

This is very frustrating and seems such a basic requirement for any photo editing software. This really does need sorting.

Andreas Hasenkamp

I found an (imperfect) workaround to restore original metadata: The file changed by Luminar (4, in my case) will show up in Lightroom, I then select the original plus the changed file and let Lightroom synchronize the metadata. Obviously, this only works for just this specific couple of files. If you change a lot of files, you still will be lost. It is an embarassing situation that throws a bad light on the company. Add to that the pretty long time Luminar 4 takes to start ... it kills any workflow for serious retouching of more than some lonely files. Hard to believe they rolled this stuff out.

David Hunt

I have found that, instead of using "Edit in Luminar AI" from Lightroom, which destroys metadata, if you "Export" to Luminar AI, the Metadata like keywords are preserved in the tiff file that is returned to LightRoom.

Paul Votava

David, thanks for posting this tip!!

Tania Taylor

Hi!

David is right! At the moment, we recommend invoking Luminar AI as a plugin in LR in the following way for its correct performance:

Right-click on an image > Export (not Edit in) > Luminar AI > Open Source Files or Edit Copy with Lightroom Adjustments.

Darryl Brooks

That's fine if you are using Lightroom. But I just opened a file in Luminar that I had exported from ACDSee with description and keywords. I checked the file with numerous programs, including plain Windows Explorer and all the IPTC metadata was there. I edited in Luminar and exported. All IPTC metadata is gone. 

Luminar is a nice toy, but if you are a serious or professional photographer, you need to avoid at all cost. This has been a well-documented and complained about bug going back through several versions. Skylum developers can't or won't fix it. I have used dozens of photo editors and own a copy of just about every one on the market and Skylum is the only one that can't make this work. 

The only one. 

Darryl Brooks

This is the file in question. I could open it in ACDSee, Lightroom, Capture One or ON1 and they all maintain the IPTC data. But this is in Windows explorer showing that the Title, Subject and Tags are all baked into the file. Yet, I open it from inside of Luminar AI, edit the file then export and the keywords have been stripped out.  

Elena O'Brien

Hi Darryl Brooks,

Please try choosing Metadata > Read Metadata From File in Lightroom.
    If the keyword tags are still missing, please contact our support team at skylum.com/support so we can look into this.

Darryl Brooks

You didn't read my comment. Lightroom had nothing to do with this file. Per the screenshots from Windows Explorer, the keywords were in the file before Luminar and gone afterward. 

Look into this? People have been complaining about this for years going back at least 4 versions. Is this going to be fixed in Neo, or will that be a 'future enhancement?' 

Anastasia Davis

Hi Darryl! In this case, please reach our support team and we will investigate the issue: https://skylum.com/support

Darryl Brooks

No thank you. I wasted time with that on the exact same problem with Luminar 3 and 4. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now. It's not an isolated case that support can fix, it's an ongoing problem documented by dozens, if not hundreds of complaints over the years and never answered adequately except for one thread that was since deleted where Alex, CEO at Skylum, admitted it wasn't supported in 3 or 4 and wouldn't be in AI. 

So, I ask again, will IPTC data be supported, or at least not stripped out by Luminar Neo?

Anastasia Davis

Darryl Brooks Please note that IPTC data should not be stripped out by Luminar AI. That is why, we would appreciate it if you send usb all the details and we would find a solution.

Darryl Brooks

That's odd. 

Here is what Kate said last year in this very thread where dozens of others had the same complaint, "Please note that since we don't support IPTC metadata / keywording at this time, as much as we'd love to, we cannot guarantee that this data will be fully preserved during the export."

You say it shouldn't happen and I agree, but Kate said you can't guarantee it won't happen. 

David Hunt Manolis Nikolakakis Jean Maisonneuve Doug Farr Sebastian Kahlcke Cliff Bramlett Thomas Sedin and Riaan Roux are all mistaken?

This problem goes back years. Unfortunately, I can't pull up all the complaints from L3 and L4 as those forums no longer exist. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.