Comments

24 comments

Sean Foo

You mean version? or just plain copy & paste? Curious to know.

Comment actions Permalink
    G Mitchell

I assume you mean versions like most other photo processing software has. Yes a very useful tool but from the vague responses to it in versions 3, 4 and probably your question here on AI, I wish they would just come out and say we ain't doing it so don't bother us again about it ūüôĄ

Kate Williams

Hi Sunny,

At this time, we don’t have any immediate plans to integrate this feature. However, I appreciate your interest and will let our team know about it. 

At this time, you can use the following workaround: right-click a photo in Luminar AI > Show in Explorer or in Finder > create a copy of the image in Explorer/Finder and give it a descriptive name. Luminar will be able to pick it up. 

G Mitchell

Yes I’m quite aware how to make a copy. I was simply answering the other gentleman that was hoping for a industry standard feature from skylum that other companies include. The version is for a photographer to use as a tool to present various looks to compare on screen for themselves and or a customer which you also can not do in skylum software. Not to mention the tedious task of going through the steps you mentioned multiple times for each photo you have a few versions you wanted and the the file space that would grow exponentially. Thus it’s a real mystery if skylum is about simplifying and speeding up the process for its customer it has dropped it previous thoughts on providing a well accepted and useful tool. Thank you for your quick response. Have a blessed day.

Amy Wasp

It would be so nice just to be able to make a copy and see them next to each other rather than having to make a copy of the original in Explorer. Import it to Lumiar and then make an album to see them next to each other.

Stephan Weis

Kate Williams did you follow up on this? Is your team considering to add this feature?

This seems like low hanging fruit and at the same time would make for a much better user experience. 50MP RAW files can really fill up a hard drive fast, and creating duplicates on the hard drive is not a satisfying solution.

Kirk Osborn

We have passed on this request to our tech team. They will consider adding this feature in one of the future updates. Please stay tuned.

Jim Herndon

Please, please add this feature (create a duplicate copy of the same image in the same Luminar album, as in Lightroom and other programs). Without it, it adds to my workflow time considerably. Thanks.

Without this feature, Luminar is a coll demo tool, one shot time saver, but not a tool usable by professionals. Maybe the marketing team doesn't care since they sell enough.

Dale Horne

Luminar AI offers great functionality and is an excellent addition to my primary toolbox (Lr, PS, ON1).  However, I am not sure why Skylum ignores the low-hanging fruit which are the basics of good image editors like making virtual copies, opening full screen, ability to edit which adjustments get copied and pasted and being able to assign star, numerical, and color flags. Seems like this would be easy to code. I suspect most photographers would be happy to pay a little more for these features that would round out Skylum's offering in the imaging market.

Claudio Rivera Redrado

I am surprised that Luminar AI does NOT have something as simple as duplicate photo or copy and paste of a photo in the same catalog. 

As G Mitchell has said very well, this is something that is mostly available in all other professional photo software and is true that it may be very useful and helpful for having multiple variations and options for the same photo, so you could apply different looks and different editing settings and be able to compare them easily, or have the same look applied but change the hue, or the light, the sky, the contrast or whatever to be able to test what is the one that looks better 

I would not question or request something that could be difficult or not available in other software but having a duplicate photo option should be something essential and important to have to be considered a professional tool 

I really wish that this could really be added soon in update 

thanks very much. All the best

Master D

Although I am relatively new to the Luminar AI family, I have used several different photo editors over the years. ¬†Most recently, I was an Aperture user, and I have to agree with the other users in this thread. ¬†Having the ability to create versions of an image is an immensely useful ‚Äď I would even say essential ‚Äď tool for photographers of varying skill levels when processing large groups of photos. ¬†Aside from my personal photography, I also take photos as part of my decorating/event planning small business. ¬†So, having large sets of photos to edit is common for me. ¬†Aside from the file storage space issues that are inherent to and a major issue for the "workaround" (not really... that's just a basic process for any computer user) offered by Kate Williams, the enormous amount of time it adds to any workflow of reasonable size makes that "workaround" completely impractical. This is¬†especially true for those of us who shoot literally hundreds of images in one session. ¬†For those who have paying clients to serve, the amount of time added to a workflow by not having this functionality can be a deal breaker for those considering Luminar AI. ¬†I'm not being alarmist or overstating this point, as it is the reality of a competitive market when you don't offer the basic tools that are industry standard.

I don't believe that any of us is asking for something unreasonable in requesting the functionality to create versions of images within our projects/albums, ESPECIALLY when this feature is pretty much industry standard for competitive image editing software. ¬†I love the features and capabilities of Luminar AI, and with the addition of Avalanche's capability to read Aperture libraries, it made a compelling case for me to purchase Luminar AI as a competitive package to replace Aperture. ¬†But, as I fully migrate my work to Luminar AI, the lack of this basic functional tool would make me seriously consider one of the competitors. ¬†One of the hallmarks of a "great" versus "good" company is its attention to and responsiveness to the needs of its community of users ‚Äď another reality of remaining competive. ¬†So, to the Skylum team, be that "great" company.

Katherine Nelson

Hi Master D,

Your request is definitely not unreasonable and I will surely share your vote with our devs.

I could definitely see how you would want to have this feature. 

I vote for this essential feature too

Guido Erlinger

In my opinion it is not a good idea to create physical copy of a RAW file. It would make more sense to have a feature to create virtual copies, which would reference the same physical RAW file.
    This way you could create several edits for one RAW image.

Ivan Azure

Hi All,
    We will pass your comments to the responsible department for consideration. Please follow our news.

Richy Clark

This is the most basic and needed feature. Virtual copies. Copy/Paste -  I bought the software because I loved the effects / ai. But without a simple copy/paste for various versions of photos, I will not be using this professionally, or recommending to our photography communities. Once it's fixed, I'm all in! 

Master D

Okay Skylum Team, is there any progress at all being made on this request?  Does it really take a year or more to come to a decision on this and add it, or has it just disappeared into the ether?  I believe most people here understand and appreciate the difficulties that your team is experiencing with the ongoing conflict in Ukraine.  However, when we see routine emails promoting Luminar Neo and updates with features being added to it (though, oddly enough, NOT this feature), one can only wonder if you have ANY intention whatsoever of adding it.  Your now stock response of "We will pass this request to the responsible department for consideration..." just doesn't cut it, when you don't even bother to update the community on the progress (if any) for over a year. Not to mention, the fact that Luminar 4 has not seen an update in that same amount of time, gives the strong impression that you are simply kicking the proverbial can down the street, hoping that people will just forget about it, thereby relieving you of the responsibility of ACTUALLY addressing the issue and giving a definitive course of action.  With all of your attention being focused on promoting Luminar Neo, it gives the very strong impression that you are trying to steer your existing users into purchasing another editing tool (STILL WITHOUT THE FEATURE REQUESTED HERE) rather than paying attention to and updating your existing editing tool.  IF you are ditching Luminar 4 (and its users) to make Neo your primary editing tool, then just say so.  However, this does not absolve you of the fact that you have chosen to make such a glaring and, frankly, self-defeating omission of an industry-standard feature and ignore the request to add it.  People are willing to be patient, but at a point, it's time for the Skylum Team to "S**T or get off the pot" so we can move on with our lives (and probably to a competitor's software)!

John Owles

I too would like a copy abilty. It seems to me to be such a basic and necessary thing to be able to copy and compare within Luminar AI. Seeing the progress- of edits is vital process as you head towards the final image so Please incorporate a simple, easy to use copy function.

John Owles

Another thing. "Show In Explorer" shows the original image, not the previously edited image that we would want to compare. So it is an entirely useless excersize. Come on Skylum, you have a good piece of software so make it all round practical.

Just wanting an update. This has been requested over two years ago. Will you please let us know where you are in developing this functionality?

Master D

To all who have posted on this thread,

At this point, I am convinced that the Skylum team is just ignoring this thread and our request for this basic industry-standard feature.  As I stated before in a previous post, it is a shame that a company with such a promising and cutting-edge photo editing software is shooting itself in the foot with the both the amateur and professional photography community by taking this position of not offering an update or any other mention of this feature being added to ANY of their editing products.  Really a SHAME to ignore your customers like that.  Unfortunately, I will NOT be recommending their products to any of my colleagues.

Anastasiia Moore

Hi Member and Master D,
    Let me kindly reassure you that all our customers' comments on this matter have been passed on to our developers. We don't have plans to introduce this feature in the nearest future, but I have added this request to our backlog to raise the priority for such requests. 

Jim Herndon

Hi Anastasiia,

Thank you for the response here. It does seem, though, that Luminar doesn't quite grasp the importance of the duplicate image feature. It is standard on other imaging programs, and if I had to guess, the Luminar developers feel it is a rather boring feature when compared to the other new and amazing abilities of AI and Neo. However, from a working photographer's perspective, it's an essential addition for workflow - and for me personally I'd much rather see it added than anything else.

On workflow, when I edit images I like to create a few different versions of my favorite images - for instance, a color standard version, a b&w version, and a color effects versions using some different and artistic flair that I think could add to it but that I want the client to still be able to have the color standard version if they prefer that over the effects version. This is not possible to do without a lot of additional work in Luminar AI and Neo - and so I have to either use a tedious workaround and lose the previous edit versions of an image in Luminar, or I have to use an entirely different program to create those other versions separately. This adds many extra hours of work for me each week, when I'm wishing fervently all the while that what is a standard feature in other programs would just be added to Luminar.

All that said - I do love Luminar. It has an amazing end product, which is practically magic to me in its abilities to improve images. The program also has a great user feel to it. It's just not a '100% slam dunk OMG this is the best thing evah' type of program for me - and all because what seems like it should be a really simple addition to the program, and which virtually every other imaging program has, isn't included in Luminar, hasn't been included for years, and doesn't look like it will be included any time soon.

Thank you for passing any of these thoughts to the developers.

Please sign in to leave a comment.