Luminar AI does not launch with Mac OS Mojave

Answered

Comments

18 comments

• Official comment
    Alina Skylum

Hi Stephen,

Would you mind reaching our support team at skylum.com/support regarding this?
    Please attach a screenshot of your hardware configuration to your request:

Click on the Apple logo in the upper left corner of your screen, click About This Mac, and make a screenshot of the window that opens. 

Thank you in advance!

Comment actions Permalink
    Jay Maynard

We're all having issues especially on Mojave.  It seems like everything they make is broken at the moment. 

Stephen Scharf

Thanks, Jay. 

Why am I not surprised?

Oh, well...I'll check back in in Q2, 2021. 

Jay Maynard

LOL... I guess I'll do the same. 

Robin Procter

I have Luminar AI installed on macOS Mojave 10.14.16 on my Mac desktop machine and am having no issues whatsoever either as a Photoshop CS6 plugin or as standalone. 

Lynne Pariseau

Robin, I guess you are lucky!!!

Stephen Scharf

Alina Skylum

Alina, *WHERE* do I post the screenshot? That link just took me a generic page with a bunch of different selections for different problems. How do I reach your support team directly to send them the screenshot? 

FWIW, HERE is my screen shot. YOU can forward it to the support team. 

Quite frankly, this is a RIDICULOUS support process. You guys need to get your act together.

Lynne Pariseau

I did contact support and they got back to me in 4 days with a satisfactory answer.

Stephen Scharf

Hi Lynne,

So...how did you contact them (for example, did you contact via email, and if so, what was the email address?) and what did they say? Did you get Luminar AI working with Mojave OS? 

Care to share with the rest of us so we can have our support failure mode resolved? 

Thanks! 

Stephen Scharf

@Robin Proctor: The last version of Mac OSX Mojave was 10.14.6; yet you listed 10.14.16. Were the last two numbers a typo? 

Lynne Pariseau

Stephen, I contacted them via email -- support@skylum.com.  They apologized for the length of time it has taken to get LuminarAI working with Mojave and repeated that they are working on it.  So it's not solved yet.

I let them know that I have been a longtime user of Macphun and Skylum, have had very few problems and have gotten almost immediate support with suggestions that worked.   I've always been pleased with their support folks and let them know that.

Perhaps they are more responsive if your post to them is more positive than negative and you (you meaning everyone with the issue, not you personally) indicate to them that you understand the issues they are facing.  Obviously the program was rolled out too soon - that being said, It was done - so now they need to fix it and I believe they intend on doing so ASAP.  I guess we all need to exercise some patience which, I know, is hard to do when you've been waiting months to try out the new program.

Lynne Pariseau

Stephen, I didn't answer one of your questions.  No my problem with the slow opening of AI on Mojave is not solved.   I've noticed too that when I use it as a plugin with Photoshop Elements, it also is very slow to respond- it eventually does.

Robin Procter

Stephen Scharf, yes it was a typo and should have read 'macOS Mojave 10.14.6' and my family name is not spelt the way you have spelt it - A typo no doubt.

Robin Procter

Yes, Luminar AI does take a very small amount of time to load as a plugin within Photoshop but really, why are some people in such a frantic hurry? It doesn't initiate the spinning pizza/beachball which would suggest a potential problem.

I put it down to the AI needing time to analyse the image file being loaded prior to suggesting Templates. Other plugins take a similar amount of time and some far longer to process your edits when Saved/Applied/Done.

Mike Gee

Hey all, as a long time Luminar user on Mac,  I was excited by the prospect of Luminar AI. Sadly, after nearly month using I have to say that it is largely a waste of time and I mostly stick to using Luminar 4. 

So what's wrong with it? I use Luminar as a plug-in in Photoshop. In the past it has been responsible for some of the best editing I've ever done in conjunction with PS. Not the case with AI. Yes, you still have the edit functionality but if that is all I'm going to use then I might as well stick to Luminar 4.

The actual new AI template functionality is hopeless. Let's start with the templates it suggests when you open a photo in AI – I have, for instance, a lot of shots taken in a harbour – landscape, boats racing, people at play etc. The templates it suggests using have – 95% of the time – nothing to do with the type of photo I have to edit. The recognition is appalling.

Then there is the six or so looks within each template. If you are an Instagram user maybe they would suit but in general they are outlandish, unreal and turn the photo into something it was never meant to be. For serious photographers and editors they are simply a waste of time. It seems a direct pander to the quick and easy needs of the insta gen – I wonder if Skylum has actually researched the age bracket of its users and what they need and use Luminar for.

As a semi-pro photographer I would love there to be an editor that makes the process faster and simpler but this isn't it. If I was to show clients pictures edited with these templates I would be laughed out of the room. And my family and friends would, mostly, ask me what substances I'm taking.

AI shows a serious lack of understanding about photography and photographers. What was highly promising editing system in development has taken a u-turn and become a cheap penny arcade sideshow piece. This is underscored by the fact that Luminar  4 will be phased out in about a year's time and all of us who enrolled early in the piece delighted that here was a company trying to develop something really needed will be dumped unceremoniously at the side of the highway, our money taken and spent on this flight flam novelty called AI.

I could even stomach it if the AI actually worked but it doesn't – the sky replacement option is hit and miss at best, the facial recognition is very poor, it goes on and on. Luminar AI is a test program that needed a lot more development before users were actually charged for it.

It's all very sad. I'll keep using it until Luminar 4 is gone. But will I renew AI in a year's time? I very much doubt it.

Jay Maynard

100% Mike! I thought Luminar 4 as a plug-in was the really the start of Luminar becoming a pro-level editing tool and then everything since it’s release has proved me wrong. AI templates are nothing more than IG templates that you have to pay $20 for.

Lynne Pariseau

Mike - well said - I'm going to hang in there (if they fix the long load time) and hope it improves but I agree with you, Luminar 4 so far is a superior product. I use both as plugins - but the offerings on AI really don't meet the quality of editing with L4 as a plugin

Mike Gee

Jay Maynard and Lynne Pariseau – agree with both your comments and it's such pity we are having this discussion. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.